• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's okay bug. YOU can ride on the street. Because you're not a dickhead. You're a courteous and thoughtful cyclist. If you ever find yourself out this way, maybe we can cycle the Louisville loop.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's okay bug. YOU can ride on the street. Because you're not a dickhead. You're a courteous and thoughtful cyclist. If you ever find yourself out this way, maybe we can cycle the Louisville loop.
    I don't have a pure MTB anymore, I modified mine for a utility bike - bar end grips, 1 1/2 inch high pressure gumwall slicks and a 12 - 23 cassette

I do have an older MTB, similarly modified that I can bring though. It is an early MTB and weighs 39 lbs so it does have a handicap

Fair warning, I live in the big chainring

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't have a pure MTB anymore, I modified mine for a utility bike - bar end grips, 1 1/2 inch high pressure gumwall slicks and a 12 - 23 cassette

I do have an older MTB, similarly modified that I can bring though. It is an early MTB and weighs 39 lbs so it does have a handicap

Fair warning, I live in the big chainring
    Louisville loop is paved. Some places are in a **** hole and best to avoid. I have a hybrid e-bike. It looks like a boomer's bike I guess. It can go off pavement, but not much more than hard dirt or gravel.

It's a class 3 e-bike so I can easily keep up with people who like to stay on the big chain ring. It's pedal-assist, so the harder I pedal the more it assists. No problem with hills. It's got a 9-speed cassette, but one chain ring so only 9 speed overall. With the assist I haven't found myself wishing for more gear choices.

I'm actually quite thankful for the e-bike. I had to quit cycling and now I can do it again.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not long after I got my e-bike we went riding at a park with a really nice multi-use paved path. It's our go-to for recreational biking now. Goes on for many miles. Out in the country. Beautiful. Except for the ragweed.

There's this really steep hill that's maybe 1/2 mile to the top. Grade gets really steep in places. A strenuous climb, even with pedal assist. But not a huge problem. I passed this fat guy with maybe 100 yds to go to the top. He was huffing and puffing on his MTB, with all kinds of grit and determination.

As I passed him he looked at me, because I'm about as big as him and not struggling nearly as much. His countenance just deflated. Like all his will left him. As I passed him he said, "I wish I had your stamina." I told him, "don't lose heart man. I'm cheating. This is an e-bike. That's all you. I just wish I had your knees." That dude pedaled his fat ass all the way up that hill like a boss. Respect.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And acting as if there are no bad drivers in the cyclist/driver interaction

Anybody who also drives a car KNOWS that's bull****
    Well of course there are bad drivers. The ratio is inexplicably higher among cyclists. Obviously not all. When I'm stuck behind someone on a bicycle, some riders let me know when I can pass. Or they'll get out of the way when safe. It's not most of them. Most seem to stay in the middle of the lane and just keep going, as if there aren't a stack of cars behind them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Fine. they're part of a cycling club. Good for them. Doesn't give them more rights than they have.

But. If you're in a large group and all riding single file, it's gonna be a very long train. So will take cars longer to pass them. Which increases danger. I kinda think that for club outings they should do smaller groups of maybe half-dozen, break it up into different locations, so they can go single file and not take up 1/4 mile of road. But then they couldn't be such a large collective *******.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    All of them. If there is some minimum number of miles each vehicle must be driven or minimum payment into the system, please post it up

Just exactly what is my 'fair share'
    there Elizabeth?
    WTH are you even replying to?

Someone drives a car, they use gas, which they paid use taxes on. They also paid registration fees to use that car on public roads. That means they are actively paying to use the road.

Where did I say anything about a fair share?

Top Bottom