• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As a CPA and a cyclist the thread has been interesting to follow.

This summer I road a 100 miles from Fort Wayne to Toledo on old US 24. Never had an unpleasant encounter the whole way and pretty sure I did not annoy/inconvenience any motorist. Rarely do I experience bad situations and I ride with some guys that can be jerks.

At least I am comforted by the fact that for most of the bravado about hitting cyclist I know (hope) that in reality all the INGO members exercise the same restraint about physically injuring cyclist like they do when thinking about pulling their gun.

And for those complaining about cyclist in their lycra kit, here is something to enjoy in your rear view mirror after safely passing this cyclist on your way to go fishing.

View attachment 308348
    Okay. We wont tax ALL spandex.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I knew where this thread was headed.......

View attachment 308367
    Little known fact.

On the other end of that bridge holding a detonator....was a disgruntled cyclist who had been attempting to beat a train at a crossing but the cross bar came down and caught him in the chest stopping him while his 2000$ composite bike continued onwards to its destruction.

I swared to god!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I suspect you seriously exaggerate the number of times you encounter cyclists you can't safely get around in under 30 seconds (more time given due to your age and general fitness)

And if you were pipped for speeding and you told the officer you were 'late for some engagement' it is likely he would tell you you should have left earlier, not empathize with you

Most serious riders in a group ride single file in what's known as a pace line, with three or four riders being the optimum number. You pull at the front for a minute, pull out slightly left and ease up, the rest of the line goes by and you tuck in at the back. Next rider takes a 1 minute pull at the front and does the same, so you wind up with 1 minute being the locomotive and 2 or 3 minutes to recover before it is your turn again (there is a significant energy usage benefit to drafting off the other riders while at the back)

Only serious riders will do this because you are spending A LOT of time riding just off someone's wheel and to touch wheels is a real problem for the guy in trail. You can't do this with people whose bike handling skills are such that they turn in the direction they're looking when not looking straight ahead or who can't maintain a 90%+ effort for a minute without their fine motor skills decaying or can't eat or drink in the saddle without getting all squirrelly

This pace line isn't going to ride in the gutter just because you think they should, but they really only need about 18 inches

Oh, and Lance was a cheater and a doper. No one is a 'Lance Wannabe'
    I suspect you overestimate just how serious I am about this thread.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Spandex ia a canard. Tight fittin, flexibleg clothing doesn't chafe, the chamois protects against a condition known colloquially as 'woodpecker', and the jersey material is technical, designed to wick away perspiration and allow it to evaporate on the outside

Am I to believe no uses technical clothing like GoreTex when hunting or fishing or hiking?
    I am not built for spandex. I’ll just say it that way. I typically use MTB shorts in the summer along with a moisture wicking tee shirt. Works fine. In the winter I just layer.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I heard only dirty dope smoking hippies sail boats and only because they are too fat and lazy to row.
    Nope, you're confused. The dope smoking fat guys are in the power boats.
    Because it takes an overwhelming amount of knowledge :laugh: to turn a key, push a lever forward and steer the boat.
    Most power boaters are incapable of actually making a sailboat move forward under wind power.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And if starting from a dead stop on a bike is too physically taxing, maybe the cyclists aren't as physically fit as they would have us believe... ;)
    It isn't physically taxing, it just takes a finite amount of time. It is not uncommon for people to come alongside you as that process is beginning and then turn right in front of you - often without signaling and again saving themselves 5 seconds

That sort of behavior is why you are more likely to see bicycles two up when first at the light or at the head of the turn lane, to keep the people who are REALLY arrogant off of them

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It’s no big deal to wait until I can get around if it’s only 5 seconds. That’s not a problem. Idunno. Maybe you’re not a dickhead on the bike.

Maybe when you’re riding on a curvy road with lots of steep hills where it’s hard to get around because you can’t see on-coming traffic, you look behind you every so often to see if you have several cars stacked up. And maybe you’re courteous and either help them get around you or pull off and let them pass. Some have done that for me. They’re not dickheads. I try to do that
    When I ride. I don’t want to hold people up. But there are some dickheads who act like they like holding people up.
    I almost never use more than that 18", except for the aforementioned two up at a light or head of a turn lane, and then we go single file again as soon as we clear the intersection

As far as drivers not being dickheads, if you know a serious road cyclist, ask him about 'breezing' and how often it happens to him/her/it

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Nope, you're confused. The dope smoking fat guys are in the power boats.
    Because it takes an overwhelming amount of knowledge :laugh: to turn a key, push a lever forward and steer the boat.
    Most power boaters are incapable of actually making a sailboat move forward under wind power.
    Quite a few here on INGO understand backing and filling, though

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The bike path isn't at the end of my driveway
    Neither does mine. But I won't ride on my road because I've kinda grown fond of living. It's too dangerous. Like I said, it's too narrow, lot's of blind hills and curves. And being behind considerate cyclists isn't a problem. Again, it's the dickheads which seem to be in high proportion. And since you're courteous, and not a dickhead, you shouldn't be too concerned with this thread.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I see some pretty pudgy people in spandex riding up and down the road. It’s not flattering. Sometimes you wonder if the spandex stretches too far for practical purposes.
    Perhaps you should lobby the manufacturers to not make sizes above Large

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Perhaps you should lobby the manufacturers to not make sizes above Large
    That's what the stretch too far comment was about. I was thinking the same thing at first. That if they only made it under certain sizes, then it would be unavailable for the people who shouldn't wear it.

But then since it stretches, people would try to fit into it anyway. Which might be worse. Could you imagine someone splitting their suit while on a country road in the sticks? All that fat an cellulite oozing out? Maybe we need a law. Or. Tax spandex by the yard.

Okay fat people, I'm just kidding. Nothing wrong with fat people making fat jokes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Neither does mine. But I won't ride on my road because I've kinda grown fond of living. It's too dangerous. Like I said, it's too narrow, lot's of blind hills and curves. And being behind considerate cyclists isn't a problem. Again, it's the dickheads which seem to be in high proportion. And since you're courteous, and not a dickhead, you shouldn't be too concerned with this thread.
    I'm concerned when people are telling me I should not or should not be allowed to ride in the street because they don't like it, yet I'M the arrogant one. They just don't like to be talked to in the manner they use to talk to others

Peeps are always on about about their own freedom and but not so much those of other people, those freedoms are too inconvenient

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom