• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    In the interest of fairness, PDog, Bush did the same thing.

"When Bush’s term started Jan. 20, 2001, the gross federal debt was $5.73 trillion. At the end of his term, Jan. 20, 2009, the gross federal debt was $10.63 trillion. This means that the debt just about doubled under Bush."
    And since the budgets are written by previous Congresses, the correct years to attribute to Bush are FY2002- FY2009.
    And the stimulus billed to FY09 was added after bush left, so it's not appropriate to attribute that to him.

ETA: doubling $5T and doubling $10T aren't the same in any meaningful sense.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And since the budgets are written by previous Congresses, the correct years to attribute to Bush are FY2002- FY2009.
    And the stimulus billed to FY09 was added after bush left, so it's not appropriate to attribute that to him.

ETA: doubling $5T and doubling $10T aren't the same in any meaningful sense.

You have officially stopped making sense

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You have officially stopped making sense

I dunno. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. It seems to me like you're saying doubling $5T is the same as doubling $10T.

If you've doubled $5T, the net increase is $5T. If you've doubled $10T can you not concede that the net increase of debt is more?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But if your standard of horribleness is doubling, as in [insert name] doubled the federal debt on his watch, then to say one instance of doubling is somehow more horribler than another instance is disingenuous at best. Other measures are available, such as increased total indebtedness by [insert proper figure] billions (or trillions) or increased total indebtedness to [insert proper figure] percent of GDP from [insert proper figure] percent of GDP.

Before rolling with this argument people would be wise to remember total us indebtedness is increasing for almost any timeline you can specify after the 1840's so we're only talking rate of increase, which can be made to sound better or worse depending on whether you choose the actual dollar figures or go with percent of GDP

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    let's say your debt is 10K. At the end of the year you spend 10K more than you take in and you double your debt. You now owe 20k. The next year you double it again and your debt is 40K. The first year you spent 10K more than you took in. The next year you spent 20K more than you took in. Unless inflation really REALLY sucks, your spending problem doubled. It is doubly bad, minus inflation.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Why is it the democrats and other assorted leftest just can't leave the culture war stuff alone? And people complain about the republicans always making an issue out of this.

Of course Trump's liberal leanings are brought to the surface with the way he answered the question.

Transgender bathroom battle rocks Republican race - POLITICO

Trump's comments could be read as leaning either "liberal" or "libertarian". I'm not claiming one over the other; just observing.

As for the culture war: let it come. Eventually, the culture warriors are going to have to answer for why they boycott states like North Carolina over certain cultural issues, while doing business with countries that actually kill people over those same cultural issues.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Trump's comments could be read as leaning either "liberal" or "libertarian". I'm not claiming one over the other; just observing.

As for the culture war: let it come. Eventually, the culture warriors are going to have to answer for why they boycott states like North Carolina over certain cultural issues, while doing business with countries that actually kill people over those same cultural issues.

:yesway:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chipbennett again.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    What do Trump supporters think of this?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/u...-image-new-campaign-chief-tells-gop.html?_r=0

If he changes his image is he still the rebel you support today?

Yes. He is still an outsider to the GOP establishment. It is time for him to drift towards the center and change his style to a more presidential posture. He can still hammer his opponents while settling down on the bombast to appeal to more moderate voters. The man is smart. He knows that the typical American has the attention span of a gnat.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This almost merits its own thread.
    /
    "Hey morons, I'm done playing you and I've got to fool those idiots over there for a few months."

But its OK if he is playing you, because you want the person playing you to be smart, or something. :n00b:

So if a Conservative "tacks to the center" to be less Conservative for a general election, where does Trump tack to?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    let's say your debt is 10K. At the end of the year you spend 10K more than you take in and you double your debt. You now owe 20k. The next year you double it again and your debt is 40K. The first year you spent 10K more than you took in. The next year you spent 20K more than you took in. Unless inflation really REALLY sucks, your spending problem doubled. It is doubly bad, minus inflation.

Sigh. Look you upon ye olde post #217. The standard upon which the criticism was based was 'doubling the debt' on a particular president's watch. I pointed out that was true of other presidents, specifically Bush. I see the point you want to make, but as we were not talking net difference in indebtedness or debt as percent of GDP it is not germane to this particular back and forth

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm sorry-- perhaps if I said that "adding 5T in debt is not the same as adding 10T in debt" it would be clearer?

Quite. As I explained to jamil (see #217) the criteria under discussion was just doubling the debt, not it's relative size

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Trump is anything but a libertarian. Where the Venn diagrams overlap between liberal and libertarian, he may find him self in that area from time to time but he is a definite Manhatten style, liberal.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I find it funny that several rock ribbed Fox conservatives now believe it is time for the GOP to get over the whole abortion and gay marriage things. They would have pounced on such squishiness just a few weeks ago coming from any one else.

Top Bottom