imageafaf.jpg

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    35hp tractors?!
    Why would I take my lawn mower down there for?!

I can bring my JD 410 Backhoe, and toss the Grader Box on the 2940 and we could have those ruts gone with a quickness...

Not to mention Dig a Hole to place the offending Truck into...

It won't fit and even if it did, the post intake is at the bottom of the thread anyway.

Then how's the ping pong ball trick gonna work???:dunno:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    As of 8:00pm last night the situation hasn't changed at all.
    The truck is still sitting there.
    He doesn't have the $ to get it moved and I don't see a need to spend my $ to move it at this point either without getting compensated for my trouble.
    As it stands I'm going to give him a ride to the truck and hand him a shovel to start digging it out. He has to do it on his own. NO ONE is allowed to come with him.
    AND..The truck doesn't move until I have some form of payment for the damage to my property.

4x4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    As of 8:00pm last night the situation hasn't changed at all.
    The truck is still sitting there.
    He doesn't have the $ to get it moved and I don't see a need to spend my $ to move it at this point either without getting compensated for my trouble.
    As it stands I'm going to give him a ride to the truck and hand him a shovel to start digging it out. He has to do it on his own. NO ONE is allowed to come with him.
    AND..The truck doesn't move until I have some form of payment for the damage to my property.

I demand pictures!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What is the purpose in making him do it alone? I don't get this part. Isn't the restoration of your property and the removal of the truck your primary concerns? Many hands make heavy work light.

Also, once the truck is free from the mud, how can you restrict him from taking it?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    What is the purpose in making him do it alone? I don't get this part. Isn't the restoration of your property and the removal of the truck your primary concerns? Many hands make heavy work light.

Also, once the truck is free from the mud, how can you restrict him from taking it?
    I'm in no hurry about moving the truck. It's not in my way.
    I'm not sadistic but he should pay for his disrespect. He screwed up. Period. I figure he'll learn a lesson with mud, sweat, and toil. It'll take him a few hours of hard work to dig it out.
    He'll make sure I won't end up with the ****e end of the stick before I let it move. He can't get it out of the bog until I move my beater Cherokee.
    I offered to hold his guns and have him sign a promise note until resolved.
    I may be a nice guy but I'm no one's punk.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm not sadistic but he should pay for his disrespect. He screwed up. Period. I figure he'll learn a lesson with mud, sweat, and toil. It'll take him a few hours of hard work to dig it out.
    He'll make sure I won't end up with the ****e end of the stick before I let it move. He can't get it out of the bog until I move my beater Cherokee.

Good for you Harry!!!
    I agree completely with everything you've done and said! Having him do the work himself is a GREAT lesson that he will NEVER forget.
    You have gone out of your way to be extremely nice and helpful to him, and I expect he will remember your good Samaritan side forever also!
    I have to say... I really don't feel too sorry for a guy who says he can't afford food and toilet paper, but has money for guns, ammo, cell phone, etc. Sounds like he needs to get his priorities straightened out, and I think you are giving him a boost to start to get his head straight!
    Also, I like the idea of keeping his truck or guns until your ground is restored!

Way to go Harry..... Your a good guy!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Que, you sound like a real nice guy also, but I have to agree with Harry! Tough love is needed in a case like this!

If I was in Harrys position, my yard is the least of my worries. The biggest concern is the guys blatant trespassing and worse yet the fact that he wasn't man enough to come to Harry and admit what he did and apologize but instead went home to hide and, what did he think was going to happen? Harry was just going to let it go, and he could wait till the ground dried up and Harry wasn't home and he could just come get his truck?!? I can't figure out this guys reasoning! I think he will learn from this experience and hopefully grow and mature into the man that he needs to be!

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    I thought you need some nuts n bolts for your collection. Make for a nice scrap yard item. Want to borrow my cutting torch? and my tool box, can I have the bummpers? You know you can sell tires on craigs list

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Nice guys finish last!

Que, you sound like a real nice guy also, but I have to agree with Harry! Tough love is needed in a case like this!

If I was in Harrys position, my yard is the least of my worries. The biggest concern is the guys blatant trespassing and worse yet the fact that he wasn't man enough to come to Harry and admit what he did and apologize but instead went home to hide and, what did he think was going to happen? Harry was just going to let it go, and he could wait till the ground dried up and Harry wasn't home and he could just come get his truck?!? I can't figure out this guys reasoning! I think he will learn from this experience and hopefully grow and mature into the man that he needs to be!

I totally understand Harry's reasoning; however, we all know that we live in a very litigious society and I would hate for Harry's lesson to be turned on him. If Harry wasn't willing to call the police and file a report and getting both home owners' insurance companies involved, then it's probably his best bet to allow the guy to get the truck out the best way he can, without causing further damage to his property and leaving it alone. Yeah, some would say he can take him to small claims court, but without a report and an insurance estimate for the amount of damage, how much can he legitimately claim?

As it is, Harry has said he wants the guy to come over by himself and dig the truck out, but he can't take it until he pays restitution for the damage. He could probably be placing himself in a dangerous position to have the guy bring a claim against him. I've read stranger things happening.

If I were Harry, the police would be called and a report filed with the insurance company. If Harry doesn't protect himself, it doesn't matter how many pats on the back he receives on here, he could possibly be placing his land in jeopardy. Am I being paranoid? No. After all, it's not my land and I'm only providing my :twocents:, which can be heeded or ignored.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I don't believe you are a punk, Harry. I just don't want to see you get the short end of the stick if the guy decides to take some form of action against you.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I totally understand Harry's reasoning; however, we all know that we live in a very litigious society and I would hate for Harry's lesson to be turned on him. If Harry wasn't willing to call the police and file a report and getting both home owners' insurance companies involved, then it's probably his best bet to allow the guy to get the truck out the best way he can, without causing further damage to his property and leaving it alone. Yeah, some would say he can take him to small claims court, but without a report and an insurance estimate for the amount of damage, how much can he legitimately claim?

As it is, Harry has said he wants the guy to come over by himself and dig the truck out, but he can't take it until he pays restitution for the damage. He could probably be placing himself in a dangerous position to have the guy bring a claim against him. I've read stranger things happening.

If I were Harry, the police would be called and a report filed with the insurance company. If Harry doesn't protect himself, it doesn't matter how many pats on the back he receives on here, he could possibly be placing his land in jeopardy. Am I being paranoid? No. After all, it's not my land and I'm only providing my :twocents:, which can be heeded or ignored.

I understand and sympathize with Harry's reasoning here too, but I have to concur with Que. By denying the miscreant of his legal property Harry is potentially opening himself to liability if anything happens to that property while under Harry's control, and if anything happens to the miscreant while attempting to dig it out solo.

A police report should be filed. It doesn't mean that a criminal complaint would have to be pressed though if Harry wanted to, criminal trespass (trespass with concurrent property damage) could be charged.

Then let the miscreant recover his property in the most efficient manner and if he does NOT come through with repairing or restituting damages, THEN file criminal and civil charges.

I manage not only my own property, but a couple of others, one for a national non profit organization, and this is the policy we follow.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

I understand your point! But really, even if the guy was a TOTAL loser (and he IS close), and decides to take Harry to court, can you really see a judge siding with the idiot that trespassed?
    Also, we don't know, but I doubt the guy is a homeowner with any kind of insurance that would cover the damage, and like I said, it's all about the guy learning his lesson and becoming a man! Obviously the Marines didn't do it for him, Harrys just helping him on his way to becoming that man!

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!

This^^^ What if the guy has a heart attack and dies from digging the truck out! and you have stated that you did not let him have anyone to help him, hence made him do it alone! thats law suit city there! :twocents: :D

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I understand and sympathize with Harry's reasoning here too, but I have to concur with Que. By denying the miscreant of his legal property Harry is potentially opening himself to liability if anything happens to that property while under Harry's control, and if anything happens to the miscreant while attempting to dig it out solo.

A police report should be filed. It doesn't mean that a criminal complaint would have to be pressed though if Harry wanted to, criminal trespass (trespass with concurrent property damage) could be charged.

Then let the miscreant recover his property in the most efficient manner and if he does NOT come through with repairing or restituting damages, THEN file criminal and civil charges.

I manage not only my own property, but a couple of others, one for a national non profit organization, and this is the policy we follow.

O.k. You guys have good points!
    BUT... What ever happened to doing the right thing, and being a MAN?!
    Seems everyone is always too eager to let the government and courts do their work for them!
    WWYGD? .... What would your grandfather do???

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Seems everyone is always too eager to let the government and courts do their work for them!

The guy who got his truck stuck there has already exhibited a history of poor decisions. You really want to trust that he's suddenly going to do a 180 and do the right thing NOW?!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Que, HandK, and shibumiseeker are on the right track here.

The offender has already shown a disregard for Harry from the beginning.

You are going to get snakebit unless you protect yourself. :twocents:

I thought you need some nuts n bolts for your collection. Make for a nice scrap yard item. Want to borrow my cutting torch? and my tool box, can I have the bummpers? You know you can sell tires on craigs list

doc4a2ec6a4951b2621966208.jpg

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Believe me, I would vastly prefer to handle things myself. But that's not the society we live in. We've allowed the insurance companies and the lawyers to rule our lives and there's no good way out of it.

mister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Fairmount, IN
    Have you considered placing a mechanic's lien on the truck? Storage fee's are technically enough to apply for one, and in time the truck could become yours legally. Just a suggestion.

Sorry to hear that this kind of thing has happened. That's what you get for being a nice guy in today's society it would seem.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom