• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Wow, I started reading this and had to jump from page 4 to 42. I can't believe someone would do this to someone who did them a favor. I'd love to see pics, did I miss any in the last 40 some pages?

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    So he is broke but has a cell phone, computer, interweb and guns....?

Sounds like he owes you a few of his guns for your troubles and kindness.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Que, HandK, and shibumiseeker are on the right track here.

The offender has already shown a disregard for Harry from the beginning.

You are going to get snakebit unless you protect yourself. :twocents:

doc4a2ec6a4951b2621966208.jpg

Hey Print! Is that baby for sale????

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I appreciate the cautions and legal insights brought up and I really do understand.
    Maybe I'm not properly covering my arse but it's my arse and my world here we're discussing.
    I live like I want to. I worked for it. My choices here.
    I guess I'm looking at it from a "right/wrong" standpoint. I'll do it my way and I'll pay the price if a bunch of legal leeches and "Want to be voted in" types stick their nose in my business. I understand the repercussions on my part. I'll live with it just the way I live with myself on a daily basis. I make the decisions I make for me and no one else.
    I'm not going to crucify the Dick nor am I going to roll over and take it either.
    Fair and Just is all I expect out of this debacle.
    I can't bleed a rock no more than I can expedite his financial situation to get his truck out. I'll put up with this within reason before I handle it myself.
    Talking with him he knows he screwed the pooch and he's going to fix it when and how he's able. I can live with that within the rules of my world.
    Thank you again for the support, advice, insight, and thoughts on this.
    It's always good to get different perspectives.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I understand your point! But really, even if the guy was a TOTAL loser (and he IS close), and decides to take Harry to court, can you really see a judge siding with the idiot that trespassed?
    Also, we don't know, but I doubt the guy is a homeowner with any kind of insurance that would cover the damage, and like I said, it's all about the guy learning his lesson and becoming a man! Obviously the Marines didn't do it for him, Harrys just helping him on his way to becoming that man!

Yes, I could see a judge siding with the trespasser. Also, IF IT WERE ME, I would not allow my emotions to start something I'm not willing to finish. None of us are in a position to teach grown people to be adults. For me to only see the emotional side of this is not being friendly and I will not watch Harry walk into a proverbial ditch without telling him of the pending danger.

Like I said, he doesn't have to heed one word I'm typing, but it's out there.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So he is broke but has a cell phone, computer, interweb and guns....?

Sounds like he owes you a few of his guns for your troubles and kindness.
    There's a lot of people living week to week. Some day to day. He had enough to pay for a wrecker to come out and try to get the truck out. I guess it tapped him out. Money meant for other things apparently went to the failed wrecker attempt. He's paying the price being without a vehicle and maybe more as far as I know.

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    Normally wouldn't jump in - but here goes...

The truck owner's home insurance won't cover this. HOMEOWNER's denies liability related to a motor vehicle.

However ! - His truck insurance owes it under the Liability coverage.
    It would also pay to tow the truck out. This is a collision accident believe it or not. Or if he has simple towing coverage - that would do it.

I'd file the report - and file the insurance claim thru the truck and be done with it. Get on with life.

Just needed to get that whole Homeowners insurance thing off my mind.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Normally wouldn't jump in - but here goes...

The truck owner's home insurance won't cover this. HOMEOWNER's denies liability related to a motor vehicle.

However ! - His truck insurance owes it under the Liability coverage.
    It would also pay to tow the truck out. This is a collision accident believe it or not. Or if he has simple towing coverage - that would do it.

I'd file the report - and file the insurance claim thru the truck and be done with it. Get on with life.

Just needed to get that whole Homeowners insurance thing off my mind.
    Good advice and I'm passing it on now. Thanks.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    We can still do things in this world without lawyers. Please, please, please make him dig it out. He is not being denied his property. He doesn't have the $ to get it dug out so he has to dig it out himself. If I had a stuck truck and no money I would shovel the damn thing out. Nothing wrong with hard work.

The hypothetical game is irritating. His heart was healthy enough to walk out of whatever his truck couldn't get out of. What if a plane hits him while he is digging? What if he gets a blood blister and bleeds out? Why can't a man just do a hard days work anymore? Let the man dig. It's good for him. Yes many hands make for light work but he did this himself, he should fix it himself.

Great points everyone, and good looking out for a great INGO'er. BUT if you don't like lawyers and insurance running it then take charge yourself. What if he doesn't get snakebit? The fear is what is wrong with society.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This^^^ What if the guy has a heart attack and dies from digging the truck out! and you have stated that you did not let him have anyone to help him, hence made him do it alone! thats law suit city there! :twocents: :D

Then non of this ever happened. :eek:

This all kind of reminds me of a great quote -
    "What we've got here, is failure to communicate!"

So Harry - After your done with him, I got some raking that needs done. And trimming, and cutting, and stacking, and painting, and milking, and cooking, and corn picking. Little stuff like that.

Sounds like Harry is just trying to do it old school which is awesome (if it works) cause we all know lawyers run the world and he wants no part of it. Protect him legally, maybe. More Fun, NO.

Speaking of legality's, Anyone curious on who actually owns this, said truck? :n00b:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've just read the majority of this thread. As others have said, Harry, you're a stand-up guy and a credit to the service whose uniform you wore.

I'll give the truck owner credit for trying to get the truck out, though as others have said, he should at a minimum have told you what he did.

For those questioning his priorities, he may well have had a cell phone before he lost a job. He may also have one of the "free" cell phones paid for with our taxes, we don't know. The computer and internet are good tools (and possibly even necessary now) to look for a job. The guns... well... I think they are self defense tools, but they're also an investment that, if needed, can be sold.

While I wouldn't abuse someone's trust or property, what it all comes down to for me is, "There but for the grace of God go I."

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    The guns... well... I think they are self defense tools, but they're also an investment that, if needed, can be sold.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Several people have mentioned this mans guns. Maybe he was out trying to kill a meal and was embarrassed to ask because he didn't want a handout. Does it excuse him for not getting permission or disappearing afterwords no but maybe he was trying to help himself. Now its time to man up and fix things.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I appreciate the cautions and legal insights brought up and I really do understand.
    Maybe I'm not properly covering my arse but it's my arse and my world here we're discussing.

And in the end that is all that really matters. Like Que, I gave my advice so you wouldn't walk into the situation blind, but I won't question your decisions once you've made them based on knowing all the variables.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Wow, I started reading this and had to jump from page 4 to 42. I can't believe someone would do this to someone who did them a favor. I'd love to see pics, did I miss any in the last 40 some pages?

So would everyone....... :dunno:

This could all be a big chain yank (see what I did there?) ..... Just awful.

I would never do something like that.

Pic's...............please
    :popcorn:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I understand. Just could be I'm hardheaded, old fashioned, and even stupid. I still view it as right or wrong.
    IF it bites me I'll live with it. I'll only bend over so far and after that it's got to be earned.
    I've got to look at myself in the mirror. That's who I have to answer to here on earth.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    You should really just have it towed and cut your losses. Call around and find a tow company that will tow it free (for you) and make the owner pay the towing and storage fees when he goes to pick it up. I know you feel bad for the guy and want to help him and you did. You bought him food and TP. You are waiting on this guy to raise money to remove his truck and fix your property, right? You have his truck, how is he getting to work? Does he work? Where is this money going to come from? Has he showed up with a shovel yet? Whats taking him so long? It doesnt sound like he has much going on from day to day with possibly no job and definitely no truck. Whatever ends up happening I hope it works out for you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom