• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    A 2006 Honda Pilot. The AWD model.

OK let's say you're going down a road and there's 5 inches of black ice in that Honda Pilot, and on that ice is a layer of VEGETABLE OIL! And on top of that oil, another layer of ice has formed because it's so cold, that oil freezes. Then, a semi-truck full of floor buffers flips and spills out it's cargo of floor buffers, which proceed to polish the road.

Can you stop? :D

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    OK let's say you're going down a road and there's 5 inches of black ice in that Honda Pilot, and on that ice is a layer of VEGETABLE OIL! And on top of that oil, another layer of ice has formed because it's so cold, that oil freezes. Then, a semi-truck full of floor buffers flips and spills out it's cargo of floor buffers, which proceed to polish the road.

Can you stop? :D

That's a ridiculous question.
    Floor buffers would never have the rotational speed to accomplish the job.

No soup for you. NEXT

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    That's a ridiculous question.
    Floor buffers would never have the rotational speed to accomplish the job.

No soup for you. NEXT

I got nothin.

They would also be unmanned and it would be ridiculous to imagine them shipping with little operators packed into the crates... Although perhaps you could throw a jockey in there with a few MREs :40oz:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I know what you mean. I have been in trucking for the past 8 years now. The first five I averaged over 100,000 miles a year on the road. But just for the record even with four wheel drive your are not going to see me passing people at 50-60 mph like alot of the other retards out there.

:DNice......Stay safe out there! Truck drivers are like LEO, they have to deal with situations everyday and the average citizen just doesn't get it.....or show the respect deserved. Without truckers, the world would stop!:patriot:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    UHMMM , i dont think you have anymore "road surface friction on a 4x4 than on a 4x2, 4 tires is 4 tires.. 2 or 4 wheels being "powered " have absolutley nothing to do with breaking, & why would there be more "friction against the rotor" on a 4x4 as apose to the exact same 4 rotors on a 2 wheel drive truck ??????:dunno::popcorn:

The only time it would make a difference is if the truck was a manual trans. Yes friction is reduced. But if you are running good tires meant to be used offroad (assuming its a truck) and start to shift down to let the engine help slow it. It will slow faster in 4x4 than if you were to do the same in 2x4 due to more 2 extra tires starting to turn slower and slow down the truck. I've experienced it many times. I can stop any one of our 4x4's faster by shifting down (yes all are stick shift) than any of the 2wd vechicles we have (also stick shift, focus, 92 SHO, or 93 ranger). Just holding the brakes will just lock up the brakes and you will slide. If you want to slow faster manual shift down and also pump the brakes. In an auto it is harder but still possible. Most autos still have a low range, at low speeds it would be safe to use. But I wouldn't want to try to do it from any speeds higher than maybe 35. This is one reason my family prefers manual transmissions. Our only automatic on this farm is mom's fusion cause her knee can't handle the clutch anymore. The 3 pickups, 2 grain trucks, other 2 cars, and 4 tractors are all manuals. :D

another reason why manuals > automatics :p

BTW with all that being said, we still don't drive like some of the nuts out here on the ice and snow. Last night going to and from work. On the highway where it was fairly clear I might of gotten to 45-50 depending on the condition of the road. On country roads less than 40. And I was in the F250 4x4 and even got passed by some idiot in a late 90's lumina on the highway. lol

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I have seen people park on an incline with snow covered ice, and they get out and their truck starts sliding. If you want to use physics, weight and mass can actually increase slipage on ice. If you don't believe me, try taking a paper cup and pushing it on an ice rink. Now do the same with a hockey puck. Hockey puck slides way furthur. Mass and weight in a truck can actually reduce friction between ice and wheels.

There, I've hilighted the incorrect statement for you. :ingo:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Bzzzt.

Mass does not increase friction, mass has more "staying in motion" power. Look up Newton's three laws.

I love you all, but I am a geek and I love physics... stick around and you could learn something :):

I have seen people park on an incline with snow covered ice, and they get out and their truck starts sliding. If you want to use physics, weight and mass can actually increase slipage on ice. If you don't believe me, try taking a paper cup and pushing it on an ice rink. Now do the same with a hockey puck. Hockey puck slides way furthur. Mass and weight in a truck can actually reduce friction between ice and wheels.

There, I've hilighted the incorrect statement for you. :ingo:

Do you see where I am confused now? Last I checked, reduce is not a similie for increase:)

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    The only time it would make a difference is if the truck was a manual trans. Yes friction is reduced. But if you are running good tires meant to be used offroad (assuming its a truck) and start to shift down to let the engine help slow it. It will slow faster in 4x4 than if you were to do the same in 2x4 due to more 2 extra tires starting to turn slower and slow down the truck. I've experienced it many times. I can stop any one of our 4x4's faster by shifting down (yes all are stick shift) than any of the 2wd vechicles we have (also stick shift, focus, 92 SHO, or 93 ranger). Just holding the brakes will just lock up the brakes and you will slide. If you want to slow faster manual shift down and also pump the brakes. In an auto it is harder but still possible. Most autos still have a low range, at low speeds it would be safe to use. But I wouldn't want to try to do it from any speeds higher than maybe 35. This is one reason my family prefers manual transmissions. Our only automatic on this farm is mom's fusion cause her knee can't handle the clutch anymore. The 3 pickups, 2 grain trucks, other 2 cars, and 4 tractors are all manuals. :D

another reason why manuals > automatics :p

BTW with all that being said, we still don't drive like some of the nuts out here on the ice and snow. Last night going to and from work. On the highway where it was fairly clear I might of gotten to 45-50 depending on the condition of the road. On country roads less than 40. And I was in the F250 4x4 and even got passed by some idiot in a late 90's lumina on the highway. lol

I agree, manuals offer more control and are more fun to drive. That being said, I'd hate to give the average crappy driver another couple of things to think about. Talking on their cell phone applying lip gloss is already hard enough.

Top Bottom