• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Yeah- a mistake in my message, not yours. I meant to correct you by saying that mass does not reduce friction. Doh :):

Gottcha.....I suppose the "staying in motion power" was what I actually meant. I am by no means a physics buff. For practical physics, it does seem to me that weight can reduce friction on ice.....especially concentrated weight. I suppose the surface of the ice would be a huge factor in the equation. Intersting though....I can't say I have every really thought about the physics involved in cold weather driving...:D

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I agree, manuals offer more control and are more fun to drive. That being said, I'd hate to give the average crappy driver another couple of things to think about. Talking on their cell phone applying lip gloss is already hard enough.

Yes very true. I've been driving them since I first started. Which was tractors at around age 11 and our old dodge truck following the tractor from field to field at around 14.... :D

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Thats why I like a manual trans. Dad was complaining to me that his F250 doesnt' stop too well on ice or in snow. I just say start slowing down sooner, or shift down, that'll help alot, especially when in 4x4 mode.

Yup, nuthing wrong with slowing down a little bit sooner. I would add less brakes, less accelerator, more steering=less sliding.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Because a lot of people are afraid of their own shadows. All they know is what they see on the news and read in the papers. If they would leave their t.v.s off and go on with life it probably would not happen, but when all of the news stations and newspapers report that "winter snow is coming" well, it should be, it is winter after all, people tend to get a little nervous. Does this make me sound bitter?:)

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    The only time it would make a difference is if the truck was a manual trans. Yes friction is reduced. But if you are running good tires meant to be used offroad (assuming its a truck) and start to shift down to let the engine help slow it. It will slow faster in 4x4 than if you were to do the same in 2x4 due to more 2 extra tires starting to turn slower and slow down the truck. I've experienced it many times. I can stop any one of our 4x4's faster by shifting down (yes all are stick shift) than any of the 2wd vechicles we have (also stick shift, focus, 92 SHO, or 93 ranger). Just holding the brakes will just lock up the brakes and you will slide. If you want to slow faster manual shift down and also pump the brakes. In an auto it is harder but still possible. Most autos still have a low range, at low speeds it would be safe to use. But I wouldn't want to try to do it from any speeds higher than maybe 35. This is one reason my family prefers manual transmissions. Our only automatic on this farm is mom's fusion cause her knee can't handle the clutch anymore. The 3 pickups, 2 grain trucks, other 2 cars, and 4 tractors are all manuals. :D

another reason why manuals > automatics :p

BTW with all that being said, we still don't drive like some of the nuts out here on the ice and snow. Last night going to and from work. On the highway where it was fairly clear I might of gotten to 45-50 depending on the condition of the road. On country roads less than 40. And I was in the F250 4x4 and even got passed by some idiot in a late 90's lumina on the highway. lol

i agree, but you still have the exact amount of tire surface on the road\snow, regardless of how you are breaking, the tires will slip on the snow\road @ equivelent resistance:twocents:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    My truck hasn't moved since it started snowing. Which kind of sucks. It's a 1WD s10 so it's not so great in snow. Lots of fun, but once you're off road, you're going to be there for a while.

I got bored last night and walked to my friends house, which is probably close to a mile through the woods. And it was at night so it was pretty cool. I actually over-dressed and had to un-zip my coat and cool off. Atleast by walking i didn't have to warm up and clean off my truck.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My truck hasn't moved since it started snowing. Which kind of sucks. It's a 1WD s10 so it's not so great in snow. Lots of fun, but once you're off road, you're going to be there for a while.

I got bored last night and walked to my friends house, which is probably close to a mile through the woods. And it was at night so it was pretty cool. I actually over-dressed and had to un-zip my coat and cool off. Atleast by walking i didn't have to warm up and clean off my truck.

I have to claim ignorance on this...what is 1WD? Are you missing a rear wheel?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Because a lot of people are afraid of their own shadows. All they know is what they see on the news and read in the papers. If they would leave their t.v.s off and go on with life it probably would not happen, but when all of the news stations and newspapers report that "winter snow is coming" well, it should be, it is winter after all, people tend to get a little nervous. Does this make me sound bitter?:)

Got to agree with this. You should see some of the SHTF outfits I've seen go through the pioneer village in Spring Mill on people who "heard" there were free roaming snakes in the state parks or thought Al Quida was hiding in Hamer Cave. ROTFLMAO!

I recon they are the same city boys like I saw "4-wheeling" their macho mud machine Toyota in the MALL PARKING LOT in Bloomington this afternoon on 4 inches of packed snow.:rolleyes: Probably needed the cargoe space to buy up all the chocolate milk.

I suppose there are a few people with an excuse for having a snow phobia after some type of unexpected bad expirience involving snow or snowy weather, something like that...

0106091vail4b.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I know what you mean there. I've got one too. If the tires are more than a year old the dog can get it stuck by peeing on the tire sitting in the driveway.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Quit complaining about crappy drivers, most of you people don't have to deal with IL drivers coming into your area and crapping up the traffic.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Quit complaining about crappy drivers, most of you people don't have to deal with IL drivers coming into your area and crapping up the traffic.

About 2 blocks from the state fair grounds. If this guy can't keep all four wheels on the ground on a paved street just about in the middle of the largest city in the state, 4 w drive is the least of his problems or needs.
    aEssUVee33.jpg

Top Bottom