Why Are So Many Still Against Hemp / Marijuana ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    the danger that legalized adult recreational use of marijuana poses to society is miniscule compared to the damage caused to our rights via the war on drugs....

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    At at least somebody actually comprehended my post.

We should cut all funding to the war on drugs. I also agree that people should pay for their own rehab if they should need it. My point was.....the war on drugs has cost OVER A TRILLION DOLLARS, and has done nothing but ruin lives and cost us money. That money would have done better by using it to rehab people that want the help. If the money is going to be spent, at least make it worthwhile instead of dumping it into this JOKE of a "war on drugs."

I agree, but if people insist on government intervention to solve this problem, that would be a more effective solution than locking everybody up.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I watched many guys flunk out of college over video games.

Some flunk out over alcohol and partying.

This indicates a lack of character and motivation, not a lack of laws.

Don't disagree, and even made the comment in the past. I simply stated why I'm against it based on my own personal experience. As you say, several other very real addiction issues with other things, substance and non substances can have the same effect.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    REALLY???

Drug War Clock | DrugSense
    Drug War Statistics | Marijuana Statistics | Mexico Drug War Deaths | Drug Policy Alliance

In 2013, over 600,000 people were charged with petty possession.
    We spent over $50 BILLION a year on this failed "war."

So a few idiots that don't have any self control justify spending TRILLIONS and imprisoning countless thousands (which costs MORE money AND ruins peoples lives)?

Spend the money on treatment for those who want it instead. Put the money to a GOOD use instead of the "war on drugs." All the current status quot has done is create an illicit and violent drug enterprise, cost tax payers too much money, and ruined lives.

So, to clarify my post that you re-quoted. Lets say that pot is legalized in all 50 states and other US territories. How long is it before people start a movement to legalize Cocaine? Heroin? Meth? You know, for recreational use and all. Use of those substances is a personal choice, and addiction to them is really nothing more than a lack of self control, right?

I'm of course playing devil's advocate here. Heck, look at our own disdain as gun owners for all the gun laws currently on the books, and those coming. After a while the things that were thought to be fringe or extreme become "normal" and that opens the door for even more fringe or extreme ideas to start creeping into the discussion. Sometimes that's a good thing (example civil rights) and sometimes that's a bad things (example gun control).

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    So, to clarify my post that you re-quoted. Lets say that pot is legalized in all 50 states and other US territories. How long is it before people start a movement to legalize Cocaine? Heroin? Meth? You know, for recreational use and all. Use of those substances is a personal choice, and addiction to them is really nothing more than a lack of self control, right?

Yes, you're absolutely right! Hopefully it will lead to this sort of individual liberty!

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

I'm of course playing devil's advocate here. Heck, look at our own disdain as gun owners for all the gun laws currently on the books, and those coming. After a while the things that were thought to be fringe or extreme become "normal" and that opens the door for even more fringe or extreme ideas to start creeping into the discussion. Sometimes that's a good thing (example civil rights) and sometimes that's a bad things (example gun control).

Should free people be allowed to do with their bodies what they choose. Either yes or no. If you want the government to step in and help when it is warranted perhaps the best method of handling the situation is as a medical issue instead of a criminal one. If there is no criminal action outside the use/possession of a substance... taking the road we are currently on only makes matters worse.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Conflated a few things here. Would legalizing marijuana stop the war on drugs?
    no, good point

only legalization of all illegal drugs (coke, meth, heroin, etc) would stop the war on drugs.

you have discovered the fallacy of the pot legalization argument. The "money saved and lives destroyed" would continue.
    The "gazillion dollars saved for treatment of those that want it" argument is baseless without complete legalization.

All or nothing is not a drug policy. It's a foot stomping scream of the potheads.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    no, good point

only legalization of all illegal drugs (coke, meth, heroin, etc) would stop the war on drugs.

you have discovered the fallacy of the pot legalization argument. The "money saved and lives destroyed" would continue.
    The "gazillion dollars saved for treatment of those that want it" argument is baseless without complete legalization.

All or nothing is not a drug policy. It's a foot stomping scream of the potheads.

Well said! Tried to rep you but I'm out.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

All or nothing is not a drug policy.

Do you hear yourself?

"All or nothing is not a drug policy," you say, while attacking pragmatic attempts to reform particular areas of drug policy, such as medical marijuana. You want all or nothing! Full prohibition!

Secondly, decriminalizing marijuana most certainly would make a difference in dollars spent and lives destroyed, since the marijuana represents the vast majority of the war on drugs. This includes number of arrests, incarceration rates, quantities seized, and pretty much any other metric you care to look up.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I don't know about you, but to me, personal liberty and Crack heads and Meth whores are not one in the same. Too much of that as it is while those are illegal.

Let's not forget that crack and meth are products of the drug war.

"All or nothing is not a drug policy," you say, while attacking pragmatic attempts to reform particular areas of drug policy, such as medical marijuana. You want all or nothing! Full prohibition!

And here I thought we were the binary ones. :D

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Let's not forget that crack and meth are products of the drug war.

Or is is the product of the never ending quest for a better high? Crack, a cheaper high, more money can be made selling to the poor. You think those crackheads begging for change can afford blow?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Or is is the product of the never ending quest for a better high? Crack, a cheaper high, more money can be made selling to the poor. You think those crackheads begging for change can afford blow?

It's not better, only cheaper. And it's only cheaper because of prohibition.

Cocaine is cheap to produce and manufacture. Even with a heavily restricted supply that is constantly bombarded with herbicides, you can buy produce a kilo for under $1,000 in Columbia.

Crack is analogous to the blindness-inducing garbage moonshine sold during alcohol prohibition. It would practically disappear in a free market.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hopefully immediately. I don't agree with making any of it illegal. If idiots want to do stupid drugs and win stupid prizes, they should be allowed to. Making things that don't directly harm another person illegal is not the way we should do things.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    So just because it's legalized, you're going to go out and smoke some meth (not sure if that's how you do meth.....)? I'd argue that idiots that are going to put those types of drugs in their body are going to do it whether it is legal or not.

And again, you're talking about nanny laws that make it illegal for you to do things that don't harm someone else. Are you supportive of seat belt laws too?

I don't know about you, but to me, personal liberty and Crack heads and Meth whores are not one in the same. Too much of that as it is while those are illegal.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Correct, it wouldn't stop the war on drugs completely. But it most certainly would take a large chunk of the war on drugs and do away with it. Take my post on page 51 for example (.org references were provided). Over 600,000 prosecuted for petty possession of a plant in 2013 alone. That would no longer be the case.

The majority of the war on drugs is related to marijuana. It needs to end. It's a losing battle, and we need to take a new direction.

no, good point

Last edited:
    Top Bottom