• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What training requirements should be implemented?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I was a Boy Scout before I was a Front Line Soldier, I was a Hunter Before I was a Boy Scout, And Now I am in the Private Sector Armed. Shay doesnt meet my Standard of Prepared, Educated and Trained. If Shay doesnt qualify do you think that you do JcWit? Do you think you could ever expeect to meet my quality?

You may be right, but I do know how to operate my Jennings six shooter and can load the clips. Only cut my thumb a couple of times shooting it using a 2 hand hold.

I really hope to what ever is above that the quote above is some kind of silly joke

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    with that right comes responsibilities which may need to be learned thru being taught, as in training. People are not born with knowledge, it is acquired thru learning.

Exactly.

We have idiots voting with absolutely zero idea of the issues involved or the short and long range ramifications of their vote. If you question them, they can't tell you anything about a candidate's or party's position, previous votes, etc.

The fiscal, security, and foreign relations policies of our leaders have far more affect nationally--and internationally--than the few people that will accidentally harm another with a firearm.

We should demand training for every voter, and they should NOT be allowed to vote unless they demonstrate they have a clear understanding of the issues. If they want to vote liberal or conservative, fine, but they must be able to demonstrate they grasp the consequences of their position.

If you agree to that, I will agree to mandated firearms training.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Exactly.

We have idiots voting with absolutely zero idea of the issues involved or the short and long range ramifications of their vote. If you question them, they can't tell you anything about a candidate's or party's position, previous votes, etc.

The fiscal, security, and foreign relations policies of our leaders have far more affect nationally--and internationally--than the few people that will accidentally harm another with a firearm.

We should demand training for every voter, and they should NOT be allowed to vote unless they demonstrate they have a clear understanding of the issues. If they want to vote liberal or conservative, fine, but they must be able to demonstrate they grasp the consequences of their position.

If you agree to that, I will agree to mandated firearms training.

Absolutely I agree with that. The idiots out there having no idea what is happening to this country and worshiping the latest rap "singer?", or sports "Hero?" has gotten crazy. Have no idea how this could be accomplished, maybe a complete overhaul of our public school system. But thats sadly not going to happen either. Getting rid of a bunch of the entitlements would also be a good start.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Mandating training according to who's standards? While I agree training is a good idea I can not agree to making it a requirement by law. There is no way to legislate morality just as there is no way to legislate common sense as far as proper firearms handling. You just can't fix stupid no matter how many laws you enact.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    The whole debate over a required safety course can be settled if everyone would just read the constitution. (I believe it covers this issue)

Amendment I

Freedoms, Petitions, Assembly
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

Right to bear arms
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, so long as every citizen takes a mandatory safety course.

Amendment III

Quartering of soldiers
    No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV

Search and arrest
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V

Rights in criminal cases
    No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb, nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI

Right to a fair trial
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed; which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defence.

Amendment VII

Rights in civil cases
    In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII

Bail, fines, punishment
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX

Rights retained by the People
    The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

States' rights
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not believe in mandatory training. All it boils down to is more Government regulation. Which is not something I or many others do not want. I can take a new shooter out and teach them the four rules of safe gun handling, the fundamentals of marksmanship, weapon maintenance, etc. It's up to them to stay proficient though. Do you want the Government to regulate that? Saying you have to attend X amount of hours of training per year, or you can not own a gun. I'm afraid that's exactly what would happen. The only positive thing I could see.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I was trained in the military, mostly a joke. I was given a 45, some ammo and a key to building and was told to go fire some rounds. I did this and was then qualified. At least I knew which end the round came out from.

I was well trained with the M16 and other weapons. I recently purchase an AR15 and had to use the manual and you tube to remember how to break it down. My training is over 40 years old.

Training should not be mandatory. Responsible people should seek the assistance they require.
    I'm glad military training is lightyears ahead of this now a days

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Having a mandatory HS firearms safety class makes more sense than other solutions, especially considering how many guns we already hav in the US. Too bad that will never happen with the far left controlling public education.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I think people should be required to take College English before they post on the internet..
    Took it, and passed, sorry that my spelling is so offensive to everyone. I realize your post is purple, and i might be smart enough to figure out what that means. I guess i just don't understand why everyone is badmouthing people that had a genuine question, like they are back in the 3rd grade. Next time someone post a serious question, i hope they get adult responses. Also thank you to the people that took a rational approach to the question, I found what i was looking for, and like i posted before, have changed my opinion. While i think everyone should have training, i agree, it shouldn't be mandated. And this is the last time i ever want to type "man dated", i just don't feel right about it, and you can't make me.

Last edited:

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I checked 'Training for Everyone' because whenever I walk into a gun shop / show and watch people pick up guns to handle, feel, and caress...I watch 95+% of them pick up the gun, trust the sales person's check of the gun (chamber and mag) for a loaded round, and then PLACE THEIR FINGER ONTO THE TRIGGER when handling the gun!!!

Very rarely do I see a customer (regardless of age or experience...although the older generation does it some) drop the mag and re-check the chamber, or open the cylinder and check it, themselves, after the sales person's check! Remember, it's only an unloaded weapon if you've checked yourself!!!

Secondly, I see lots of customers (again, regardless of age or experience) then turn and hold a weapon in a pointed manner, at the sales person or toward the middle of the store. Very rarely do I see a customer turn and point a weapon (loaded or unloaded) toward a window or wall...even with their finger off the trigger, when handling it for the first time!

Even people with experience can have bad habits...and it only takes one mistake while practicing a bad habit to have an 'accidental' discharge which can range from being embarressing all the way to a critical injury and/or death of another individual!

Just because someone has experience in handling guns...doesn't mean they've been taught how to do it in the right and safe manner EVERY TIME!

I have no problem saying that someone should pass training if they wishes to carry a gun for personal protection (i.e., be 'out and about in public' with it) they should have to go through training...that includes legal issues, proper use of the weapon, and pass a qualification shooting test.

I agree with some of the above comments.

Although, I do not think training shound be mandatory. I do training to better myself. I would like to see people do a self assessment and atleast do some type of training so they are better prepared for their safety as well as others.:twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom