Why are gun shop employees/owners predominately dicks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    Lesson taught to me years ago, vote with your wallet... businesses that are quick studies of voice of the customer and customer service survive and thrive, others bump along or die, never understanding business 101 "servicing your customer" is the most important product to have in stock at all times

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am in the service business. I offer a service that is mobile and I come to your location on request or under contractual agreement. I always enter with a smile and greet professionally. I do this no matter my mood or desire to be at the customers location and please know, there are many I do not care for. They are bland or just rude but I remain professional as that is part of my job. Some of the customers I visit have become friends and at the least good acquaintances. I expect no less from the retail stores I take the time to visit looking for something to spend my hard earned money on. I especially want to be treated this way (at least a smile and greeting) when I spend money on something like a gun as that is totally discretionary. I have all the guns we need for defense and enjoyment and anything I buy now is for personal pleasure. The 4 LGS I go to regularly know this as I am in them a lot. I go to them because I am greeted and dealt with as stated above. A smile goes a hell of a lot farther than arrogance. Do not try and push anything on me.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    It isn't that way everywhere and is mostly a reflection of our Hoosier roots. There are not a lot of educated people in the gun business in Indiana. Most are relatively poor and operate poor businesses. In turn, they hire bumpkin employees.

It isn't that way everywhere. Many cities in the U.S. have some very nice gunshops. I was in G.A.T. Guns in the Chicago suburbs recently. Night-and-day difference from any shop here in the Indy area. The Northern burbs of Dallas also has some very good gun retailers. Educated, speak in complete sentences, not financially desperate, appear to have bathed recently......completely different than here.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't really have many problems.
    I have run into clerks and owners like you describe.
    I personally can take control of MY buying habits and preferences and I'm not lame about doing things MY way.
    I'm usually in a shop for a reason or specific item.
    I do browse thoroughly because I seldom take a "grocery list" with me.
    I'm always on the lookout for something that strikes my fancy or I've been looking for a long time.
    I'm a bit older than most and not much surprises me or upsets me except for ex wives, bad booze, or politics so I'm good to go in most LGS and sales persons.

kevhed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Chesterton
    I purchased my M&P 40 from blythes. I was in on 2 different occasions before purchasing, and dealt with 2 different salesmen. I can honestly say they were both extremely helpful, answered any questions, and were willing to show me anything they had/ I wanted. They both offered their opinions on certain prouducts but were in no way pushy tward this or that firearm. Great experience at Blythes. Thanks guys!!

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    What happened to the adage in retail that the customer was always right?

My experiences here locally have mostly been very good. Most of the local shop have informed, helpful staff. I have met a few "Gun Snobs", but they are avoidable.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I've had some of these types of experiences as well. However, I stopped shopping at those places. Currently there are only three shops I'll spend my money at.

Profire Arms and Supply in Indy. Andrew is great, knowledgeable but doesn't try forcing crap on you or acting like a know it all.

Bite the Bullet, Seymour- Mark and his wife are great, down home people. Never had an attitude or heard of any complaints with them. Carrying on Bob's mission very well in my opinion.

Acme Sports, Seymour- The gang there are really cool, great prices, if you ask them to see something, or ask their opinion, they give it to you without all the salesman type BS one gets at other shops.

I will not buy anywhere else locally. If I can't find it at these 3 places, I go online. Which is a rare occurance.

I could list the shops I've been treated like crap at, but it'd take a couple hours.

danil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Mishawaka
    Up here we have have some pretty good stores staffed with good knowledgeable people. I would say they seem a little stretched lately since the volume of customers is significantly higher that typical and many being first time purchasers which may be taking more time.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have two gun stores I visit that the people are great. Spend time talking and hanging out with the customers. THere is one in the area that are gun snobs. The workers think they know more then the customer. Side note I would say dealing with people all day may make me cranky too.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I am in the service business. I offer a service that is mobile and I come to your location on request or under contractual agreement. I always enter with a smile and greet professionally. I do this no matter my mood or desire to be at the customers location and please know, there are many I do not care for. They are bland or just rude but I remain professional as that is part of my job. Some of the customers I visit have become friends and at the least good acquaintances. I expect no less from the retail stores I take the time to visit looking for something to spend my hard earned money on. I especially want to be treated this way (at least a smile and greeting) when I spend money on something like a gun as that is totally discretionary. I have all the guns we need for defense and enjoyment and anything I buy now is for personal pleasure. The 4 LGS I go to regularly know this as I am in them a lot. I go to them because I am greeted and dealt with as stated above. A smile goes a hell of a lot farther than arrogance. Do not try and push anything on me.

You wouldn't wear a brown uniform would ya?

My own experience has been good for the most part with the exception of a couple of shops that have already mentioned. My LGS is small and friendly they get my money. I still miss the shop I dealt with in Gainesville, FL, lordy those girls ran a great shop.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Thank you

Some gun shop employees are dicks. Some gun shop customers are dicks.

I'd like to point out that you never see gun shop employees on here talking about the dicks they have to deal with.

Look around. If everybody you run into is a dick, maybe it's you and not them.

Just sayin'.

Thank you for that statement.

I try very hard to not be the guy that everyone thinks is Rude but there are some customers that really really try to bring it out in you.

If every gun shop employee was to complain about the customers that are problematic then we would need a complete new subforum

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    Honestly, I never have this problem. 111 and Orion's (formerly Keislers) here in Southern IN/Louisville are great places to buy. The employees are friendly and helpful at both locations. The only problem I run in to is that they are so damn busy all the time it's hard to find a free salesman.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I was at Gander mtn Mville about 6 weeks ago and a dude was looking
    at a gun and the girl behind the counter said "Thats a good gun
    all the managers have one."

A little while later I asked to see a different gun and was given
    the same line.:rolleyes:

Jimmy

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My experience, for the most part, has been exactly the opposite. With the exception of Don's Guns, all of the gun shop folks I have met have been very nice. And the folks at Bradis are beyond nice. They go out of their way to be helpful.

Maybe my attitude is different, after having worked for one of the biggest retail aholes that ever walked the face of this earth back when I was a late teen. The guy ran a gas station, and he was a walking nightmare.

i have worked a number of retail and sales related jobs over my career. I also have been a teacher. I always have tried to treat the customer with respect. And now, I try to treat everyone that same way. And that might be why I rarely seem to run across disrespectful people.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    I think I should point out that most of whom I have been talking about are rarely "cranky" from dealing with a rash of idiots as some have rationalized.

Most are relatively pleasant, albeit rather cold, and I'm sure I could actually sit and talk to most of them for hours on many subjects if it weren't for their incessant "I know what's right for you and here, I'm gonna shove it down your throat" type approach. Yes there are some that appear as though you've interupted their favorite tv show, but I wouldn't say they are the norm for me.

I consider myself a good customer. In fact, I haven't once gotten into an argument with any of them. I'm certainly not one of those customers that go in thinking I know everything, but I am one that knows what I want. Hell, it's why I'm there in the first place.

Guns or not, I usually shop with a specific need, have done my research and want to see if I can pick it up locally out of convenience. "Just looking" is only to see if they have anything else that tickles my fancy.

Getting treated like an idiot without a plan, who asks for items the salesperson doesn't care for, is what irritates me.

And why I, more often than not, leave wondering if the website I am now going to purchase from offers quick reasonable shipping.

Top Bottom