Why are gun shop employees/owners predominately dicks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    You are absolutely right, and since you asked, it was Pops (also in case you didn't get my earlier hint - hehe)

Just looking around, he asked if he could help me (nice enough), I said;" No thanks, just looking" and then, after some holster banter I asked; "oh, you don't happen to have a Colt Mustang do you?" to which he replyed, 'No, you don't want a Mustang, they misfire all the time, you need to get you one of these' and pulled out a P238 right from his pocket. ($450 P238 v $600 Mustang I might add)

Nothing wrong with a P238 mind you, but I don't want a f'in P238, want a f'in Mustang! I need it for my collection! He didn't even try to figure out why I wanted that particular model, or why a P238 meant nothing to me, just immediately sh*t on it, telling me that the Mustang was inferior yanking the Ruger out of his pocket. And that pissed me off.

So, I politely thanked him, told him I was going to keep looking and walked out, and yeah, I don't think I'll be back. Too many other options.

The real trouble is, this is but one of many experiences as stated in my OP.

frankly, you asked for somethin he didn't have, so he tried to sell you something he DID have. there's no foul play here.

if you're just looking, you're just looking. how many buyers wander into a store 'just looking' and return to the same joint with the intent of buying?

just my .02

i go into a store to know what they have. if their stock suits my needs i'll buy, be it reloading supplies or guns. otherwise, i'll move on.

i don't go into pistol dominant stores looking for a Barret .50.

to put it into a different light..
    you don't go to Wal-Mart looking for fresh fish

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    There is a reason I drive a half hour out of my way to do my gun buying business. Since you didnt mention the name of the shop you had your experiance in I wont mention the one I frequent, even though I really cant imagine they would be the culprit, there is always the outside chance. I will say they are very active INGO members and I pretty much always recomend them to anyone.

Even with the crazyness going on right now they are still some of the best in the business IMHO.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    Well it hasn't happened to me yet but you gotta consider this. They deal with a BUNCH of morons who are too lazy to do their own research every single day. These morons are the ones that instantly jump on a bandwagon because their friend, coworker, or some idiot moron (like James Yeager) said X gun is better than Y gun. It's like the stupidity the debate of a 1911 Vs. a Glock.

Precisely, and exactly what I would expect a retailer to rise above.

Dealing with the ignorant on a daily basis (as I indeed do as well) didn't teach me to immediately loath everyone and force my preferences, rather, it taught me to try to understand that which finds it's way to me, and find a solution that solves their problem.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    on the terms business friendly - i'm business minded in everything i do. every purchase i make, be it a TV, a tablet, a gun, etc, i act the same.

ive done my research, and know what i want to buy. i seem to have a demeanor of making snap judgements, when in fact, i know what i want to buy, and what i want to pay - on the flip side, i can make a snap judgement seem like it was planned the entire time.

i don't mess around and lead salesmen around. if i say' gimme a few to think on it' it means i'll buy, i just need convice myself to spend the cash. if i didn't want to buy or pay the price, i'd leave.
    salesmen know this. they know each other and know their tactics.

however, i'm also intensely loyal, by i may be alone in this.
    but i promise you, the attitude of the seller and buyer QUITE impacts the deal to be done.
    if you come in acting like a knob, spouting information i CLEARLY know is wrong, or otherwise being a dick, i PROMISE you you're not going to get a deal, or pleasant treatment. in fact, you'll probably get ripped for being a wanker.

^^^^^ this is me as well.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    frankly, you asked for somethin he didn't have, so he tried to sell you something he DID have. there's no foul play here.

if you're just looking, you're just looking. how many buyers wander into a store 'just looking' and return to the same joint with the intent of buying?

just my .02

i go into a store to know what they have. if their stock suits my needs i'll buy, be it reloading supplies or guns. otherwise, i'll move on.

i don't go into pistol dominant stores looking for a Barret .50.

to put it into a different light..
    you don't go to Wal-Mart looking for fresh fish

I want to stress that this isn't about just one LGS. More of a pattern if you will.

Having said that, there was no reason, in this case, to assume they hadn't, or wouldn't eventually, gotten a new one in or taken one in trade, that would have met my approval and garnered a sale.

We never got to that however, because it was immediately crapped on for a model that didn't at all meet the needs that he never inquired about.

You see, the model/availability wasn't the issue really. Taking care of needs was the goal not attained.

Might have gotten them a holster sale and return visits.

As such, they ended up with neither.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Well it hasn't happened to me yet but you gotta consider this. They deal with a BUNCH of morons who are too lazy to do their own research every single day. These morons are the ones that instantly jump on a bandwagon because their friend, coworker, or some idiot moron (like James Yeager) said X gun is better than Y gun. It's like the stupidity the debate of a 1911 Vs. a Glock.

I like the 1911 because it's heavy, thin, and reliable. I like the Glock because it has more capacity than a 1911 and it's proven reliability.

It's all in preference. My preference just so happens to be in favor of all handguns that fit my hand perfectly.

Whoever tells you that you should get this brand because they like it is an idiot. YOU get what YOU like, not what others like.

1911 is obviously superior, so what's the debate about?

:ingo:

Walken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Clark County
    I think it has something to do with some employees treating there job like a hobby. They might view their employment as an endorsement of their personal opinions.

They can't separate themselves from the customer because they are too close to the subject matter. They could be a fine washing machine salesmen because they would observe the standard customer/salesman relationship.

These ideas only apply to the employees the OP was talking about, not necessarily all.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    It's a sellers market right now they don't need customer service.

Yeah, unless you have the ability to see big picture.

I just spent no less than $300, online, on a selection of holsters/1911 accessories, which I would have gladly spent locally, for immediate gratification, had they been more accommodating.

Commerce ignored is another's meal. ~confucious (me)

Ignore demand, and demand will eventually ignore you ~ (again, me)

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Its more satisfying to complain about bad experiences than to gloat about the pleasant ones. We expect pleasant, and when we don't get it, we ***** and moan to anybody who listens.

In my line of work, when someone calls to tell me that one of my guys did a good job, I graciously thank them for taking the time to go out of their way to tell me, because most folks only pick up the phone when they are pissed.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    It could be the owner pushing something specific. Telling their sales people this is what they need to do. I give the sales person the benefit of the doubt. The owner makes the rules.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Sadly I've discovered that lately the owners of some of the LGS have stopped giving discounts to their regular, formerly loyal, customers.
    The discounts aren't usually very much but it showed that the owners valued their repeat customers.
    So much for Customer appreciation. :noway:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I have had bad experiences in shops over the years as well, but I am happy with my local shop BGF. The guy at the range counter took the time to address me by my first name when I was checking out yesterday and made me feel like we were friends from way back, which we aren't. Unfortunately all it takes is one person to ruin a good visit if they treat you different than you expect to be treated.

I second that, I went there the other day and spent 10 minutes just bsing before I even hit the range, and he addressed me by my name on the way out. The people make the place.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Nothing wrong with a P238 mind you, but I don't want a f'in P238, want a f'in Mustang! I need it for my collection! He didn't even try to figure out why I wanted that particular model, or why a P238 meant nothing to me, just immediately sh*t on it, telling me that the Mustang was inferior yanking the Ruger out of his pocket. And that pissed me off.

I would have bought the P238 Ruger, those are collector items.
    :):

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Sadly I've discovered that lately the owners of some of the LGS have stopped giving discounts to their regular, formerly loyal, customers.
    The discounts aren't usually very much but it showed that the owners valued their repeat customers.
    So much for Customer appreciation. :noway:

Wow, really, its been the exact opposite for me, my lgs limits certain sales quanitys at the moment because he didnt have enough in stock for his regulars.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thats how Great Outdoors in Jasper, IN makes me feel everytime. (yes i will throw them under the bus any day of the week b/c they are arrogant everytime i try to spend money in their store.) They act like they know everything and that they know exactly what i need before i even tell them what i want. Their business model pisses me off... Wich is why i do all of my business through a family friend/ffl because he actually listens and helps me decide what would be best for the situation.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I worked for over 2 years in a gun store in Indy. If someone asked me my opinion of a firearm I would give them my opinion. I also told them to seek outside advise. Try it out, hold it, etc. I wouldn't push an item just because it cost more. If I knew the facts I would state them, but not afraid to say the words "I do not know". I didn't pretend to know everything. I may gently try and pursuade someone from buying a particle item, but would let the customer decide.

Top Bottom