Why are gun shop employees/owners predominately dicks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Your alone. No one else has anything but flowers and puppy dog experiences at gun shops.:D

This happens in niche businesses. Gun shops, bicycle shops and others are often owned by passionate people with little business acumen. In turn they hire fellow passionate employees that have little or no customer service skills. The owner doesn't have the ability to train them since they don't know either. The good shops will treat customers well because they understand that it takes a person with several knowledge bases to run a business.

Many of these smaller businesses cannot afford insurance, higher wages, benefits, good hours, etc. This makes it even more difficult to find someone with good customer service skills to accept a job.

Well said !!

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    The saying goes that the customer is always right. I disagree with that...the customer isn't always right, but they are ALWAYS THE CUSTOMER. I have supported LGS and have developed relationships. However, I also buy and shoot rifles that will not ever end up in most of these shops. With that being said, I did hear second hand that one of the employees at said shop was making comments about me having them do transfers for me. This really ticked me off because I had just bought a new Glock from them just to give them the business. I could have easily purchased a like new used Glock off Armslist, but I wanted to throw them a bone. And, it takes just a few minutes to call in the transfer for me to make $20 or $25 for a quick phone call. Again, this is for a rifle they will never have in their store for me to buy. Not to mention I've bought all kinds of accessories that I could have easily paid less for and ordered on the internet. For guys that spend money and try to help out local businesses it can get tiring when someone doesn't provide good customer service. So I go back into said shop and ask them if it's still okay to do a transfer from an individual for a rifle. They say sure, no problem. When the seller calls to verify FFL, one of the guys proceeds to tell him that they can't do it. I was close to calling the shop to work things out and I reconsidered. I gave another shop a call I hadn't done business with. They handled my transfer flawlessly and HAPPILY. The bottom line is you're not going to get all of my business, but if you take care of me you will get a lot of business and that of my friends. I agree with many of the above posters that this type of behavior is rampant. And oh by the way, I earn 100% of my income from SELLING.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got the cold shoulder today at 1 of the 4 LGS I frequent. Stood in the store and got ignored for 45 minutes. Was ready to spend about $1200 but I guess they have enough money. I am down to 3 LGS.
    Used to be 5 but folks are just not real attentive these days.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got the cold shoulder today at 1 of the 4 LGS I frequent. Stood in the store and got ignored for 45 minutes. Was ready to spend about $1200 but I guess they have enough money. I am down to 3 LGS.
    Used to be 5 but folks are just not real attentive these days.
    Wait, you found a LGS with $1200 worth of inventory in stock?? ;)

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    you need to shop at ITP - everyone I have interacted with there is outstanding - friendly and customer oriented.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yup but not much more than that.
    I saw your comment in the other thread... That's a bummer. :( I've never really needed help very often at that particular shop (mostly go there for the milsurp stuff), but it's a darn shame that they missed out on a sale from you because of being inattentive.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    I drive the extra 15-20 minutes and patronize Martin Peters at M&J Firearms in Fortville. Unlike my LGS, when I visited the shop Martin took the time to show me and let me handle 6 or 7 different semi-auto handguns (I'd always only had wheel guns before).

He took the time to show me what I could purchase - not what I should purchase, based only on his opinion. He let it be my decision - and I walked out with my SIG.

Does he remember me from among all the buyers that come to his shop? Probably not. But I tell you what, I've referred two other guys that have bought from him and will send others there as well. And that's what it's all about - sending your friends to shop where they'll get good service as well.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    The saying goes that the customer is always right. I disagree with that...the customer isn't always right, but they are ALWAYS THE CUSTOMER. I have supported LGS and have developed relationships. However, I also buy and shoot rifles that will not ever end up in most of these shops. With that being said, I did hear second hand that one of the employees at said shop was making comments about me having them do transfers for me. This really ticked me off because I had just bought a new Glock from them just to give them the business. I could have easily purchased a like new used Glock off Armslist, but I wanted to throw them a bone. And, it takes just a few minutes to call in the transfer for me to make $20 or $25 for a quick phone call. Again, this is for a rifle they will never have in their store for me to buy. Not to mention I've bought all kinds of accessories that I could have easily paid less for and ordered on the internet. For guys that spend money and try to help out local businesses it can get tiring when someone doesn't provide good customer service. So I go back into said shop and ask them if it's still okay to do a transfer from an individual for a rifle. They say sure, no problem. When the seller calls to verify FFL, one of the guys proceeds to tell him that they can't do it. I was close to calling the shop to work things out and I reconsidered. I gave another shop a call I hadn't done business with. They handled my transfer flawlessly and HAPPILY. The bottom line is you're not going to get all of my business, but if you take care of me you will get a lot of business and that of my friends. I agree with many of the above posters that this type of behavior is rampant. And oh by the way, I earn 100% of my income from SELLING.

I'm curious. What do you sell?

I'm an engineer, and the nature of my work involves a lot of buying. Nothing is more frustrating for me than when I am trying to buy something and can't get a quote from a vendor. You would think that in today's economy that companies would be jumping up and down to quote their products. Although I do shop around, and often do try to get two or three quotes for things I need to buy, often times the guy that gives me a good and reasonable price quote first is the one who gets the contract.

Even more frustrating is when I provide a very detailed statement of work, which is most of the time, and the vendor kicks out a quote without obviously reading or addressing all of my requirements.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I drive the extra 15-20 minutes and patronize Martin Peters at M&J Firearms in Fortville. Unlike my LGS, when I visited the shop Martin took the time to show me and let me handle 6 or 7 different semi-auto handguns (I'd always only had wheel guns before).

He took the time to show me what I could purchase - not what I should purchase, based only on his opinion. He let it be my decision - and I walked out with my SIG.

Does he remember me from among all the buyers that come to his shop? Probably not. But I tell you what, I've referred two other guys that have bought from him and will send others there as well. And that's what it's all about - sending your friends to shop where they'll get good service as well.
    Is that the only shop in Fortville? Someone (fellow INGOer) mentioned a shop out there the other day. I work in Lawrence, so it wouldn't be much of a drive to go visit the shop some day after work. :yesway:

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    Is that the only shop in Fortville? Someone (fellow INGOer) mentioned a shop out there the other day. I work in Lawrence, so it wouldn't be much of a drive to go visit the shop some day after work. :yesway:
    I believe it is. They just opened their doors last March, if I recall correctly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I saw your comment in the other thread... That's a bummer. :( I've never really needed help very often at that particular shop (mostly go there for the milsurp stuff), but it's a darn shame that they missed out on a sale from you because of being inattentive.

I have to post up that someone from that shop responded through PM to me and apologized. That sends a clear message to me and I will go back. I/we expect no more than to be treated with some degree of customer service. No red carpet or Howdy do just ask me what I want. I usually only go in to spend some money.
    This gun madness has everybody turned up-side down right now me included.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Oh forgive me for having been raised to expect courteous service.

Is it that awful to point out the lack thereof on a board of like-minded consumers/retailers in hopes that it may open some eyes?

Or should I just shut the hell up and not let them know that they are walking away from sales?

Poor reputations like those of used car salesmen and lawyers are earned. Are you saying we should all help our merchants fall into the same category with "well mannered" silence?

Wow are YOU ever overreaching. Pull your claws back in, kitten...

images

Tdcompton

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    There is one shop in the Indy area that I absolutely won't give my business... and I have two friends who work there.

Unfortunately on my very first visit to the store (to pick up a gun even) I was talked to in an incredibly rude manner by one of the owners... I just can't bring myself to go back even if they have what I need.. I can always find it elsewhere.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's not a gun shop thing. Go shopping for a car, a bicycle, or god forbid a sportbike and gear. The sportbike sales are the worst for sales arrogance. It's a shame that customer service sucks now days. Go to Wal-Mart or Home Depot before you go gun shopping. You won't feel as bad.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    if I'm asking for a specific model. If you went into a restaurant and they pulled that, you'd talk to the manager or leave. "Can I get a double cheeseburger?" " I'm out of the burgers, but I've got a chicken taco, thats pretty close".

Realize that we (gun shop people) are damned if we do, and damned if we don't. Sometimes, while a person may say "I'm looking for a Glock 17," he may not be wedded to that particular make/model, and would in fact settle for a Glock 19, or some other similar full-size polymer frame 9mm (which he may not have known about, but might better fit his needs/tastes). If we do not have the specific gun in-stock and cannot order it reliably as is the case currently, we would be remiss if we did not offer alternatives.

Sadly I've discovered that lately the owners of some of the LGS have stopped giving discounts to their regular, formerly loyal, customers.
    The discounts aren't usually very much but it showed that the owners valued their repeat customers.
    So much for Customer appreciation. :noway:

I will admit, we have had to do this because with the supply chain so jacked up right now, we need wring every dime out of existing inventory, because we have no way of knowing when or if we will be able to replace it. And let's face it, in the current market, if you don't buy that gun at our everyday low sticker price, the guy standing in line behind you will. On the upside, we have decided to keep that extra $10 in lieu of jacking our prices way up like so many others are doing. We are trying to be fair to all our customers, but we are also trying to stay in business.

I also note your use of the term "formerly loyal". I am not singling you out personally, but it seems that for many, "loyalty" is fleeting at best. "I've done business at that shop for 20 years," they are quick to point out, but one instance of less than stellar service, or one time we do not give a discount to which they feel they are entitled, and it's "I'll never shop there again". Shouldn't loyalty work both ways?

FWIW.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I will admit, we have had to do this because with the supply chain so jacked up right now, we need wring every dime out of existing inventory, because we have no way of knowing when or if we will be able to replace it. And let's face it, in the current market, if you don't buy that gun at our everyday low sticker price, the guy standing in line behind you will. On the upside, we have decided to keep that extra $10 in lieu of jacking our prices way up like so many others are doing. We are trying to be fair to all our customers, but we are also trying to stay in business.

I also note your use of the term "formerly loyal". I am not singling you out personally, but it seems that for many, "loyalty" is fleeting at best. "I've done business at that shop for 20 years," they are quick to point out, but one instance of less than stellar service, or one time we do not give a discount to which they feel they are entitled, and it's "I'll never shop there again". Shouldn't loyalty work both ways?

FWIW.
    Absolutely...... :)

Top Bottom