• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Drop the 1st 5 or 6 and the rest will scatter.

Why should they if they're better armed than you?....... You have a choice. Both guns are in the same caliber. You pick which one. One holds 7 rounds, but it's beautiful. A real sight to behold. The other holds over double that amount, but it's not so pretty. Now, you pick the confrontation that, "suits your lifestyle". No matter what you pick, having less ammunition in the same gun is NOT a smart choice. Regardless of the situation, or number of people in it. As Harry Callahan said, "That's a hell of a price to pay for being stylish!"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why should they if they're better armed than you?....... You have a choice. Both guns are in the same caliber. You pick which one. One holds 7 rounds, but it's beautiful. A real sight to behold. The other holds over double that amount, but it's not so pretty. Now, you pick the confrontation that, "suits your lifestyle". No matter what you pick, having less ammunition in the same gun is NOT a smart choice. Regardless of the situation, or number of people in it. As Harry Callahan said, "That's a hell of a price to pay for being stylish!"

Oh I get it. In the real world "S" happens. I was actually taking a stab at being sarcastic but purple not used.

I carry a 1911 because it points well in my hand. I have tried the High cap offerings and I do not run them as well as a 1911. Old dog, new tricks. I have even rolled with the double stacks from para and they were really good guns just a bit heavy.
    My EDC is fit with (8) round Wilson with 2 (10) rd Chip McCormick Power mags as back up. I usually hit what I am pointing at.....usually.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I dont know how you guys carry any gun.....I hate how heavy they are. I have tried to carry a few different ones and let's just say they don't feel good. I usually just throw mine in my truck seat or slide it under the seat. I have an SR40 I carry most times.....and that thing is so heavy with a full mag and a spare. I never wear jeans or a belt...... what you guys do.....use suspenders?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A good belt and holster alleviates a lot of that. But you feel it. To me it feels comforting to know it's right there. I guess it is what you get used to.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012

Harry did it with 6 rounds

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I carry a 1911 because it points well in my hand. I have tried the High cap offerings and I do not run them as well as a 1911. Old dog, new tricks. I have even rolled with the double stacks from para and they were really good guns just a bit heavy.
    My EDC is fit with (8) round Wilson with 2 (10) rd Chip McCormick Power mags as back up. I usually hit what I am pointing at.....usually.

I'm realistic. Let me give you an example of what I mean. I just ordered a Bond Arms Derringer in .45 Colt / .410 3" Shot shell. I bought it because I really like the craftsmanship, and the way the gun is manufactured. It's the nicest, best built, best finished Derringer on the market today. I believe it's quality surpasses the older American Derringer Models. It has nicer features. It's going to be a nice, "fun gun" to own, shoot, and generally play with at the range, and out in the desert.

Do I believe that it would make a good self defense, hideout gun? Absolutely no way, no how. It would be better than a knife, or a house brick. But in all honesty I can't believe anyone would choose one for that purpose. Simply because there are so many better choices for a self defense weapon of ANY kind. Yet go on You Tube, and there are dozens of videos of guys telling you just how great of a weapon they are for that purpose. Are they nuts? I can rattle off a dozen guns that are far better than a 2 shot derringer, for any type of self defense scenario.

People invest their ego's in their guns. Why I don't know. But they all seem to look for abstract reasons to promote their favorite, regardless of the lack of practically involved, or better choices there are out there. I'm not one of those people. As I mentioned in a previous post, I love 1911 pistols, and own a dozen of them. I carry Glock's because they are simply a better choice. Like you, I shoot a 1911 better than a Glock. Or I used to. That wasn't reason enough for me to carry an inferior weapon. I learned to shoot my Glocks by practicing with them, until my results were better than with my 1911's. For me it's all about practically. Style and beauty doesn't enter into anything involving self defense. At least in my book. YMMV.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    IMO, you aren't as realistic as you want to think you are. Which is fine. We all have to decide for ourselves what works for us. If you are faced with 15 armed bad guys it won't matter what you are carrying. If all or most of them engage you simultaneously then you are probably going to die. That's reality. The statistics say that a gun fight will be very close range and very brief with less than five rounds exchanged. That being said I will stick with the gun I shoot best rather than something I have to train to be adequate with. You being a fanboi and loving your Glocks is all well and good but other's think them rather pedestrian in accuracy. If they work for you then that's great but believing that the 1911 is inferior is nothing but subjective. You have obviously done your testing, training and practice and you have decided that the Glock is the right gun. I believe you are absolutely correct...for you.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    IMO, you aren't as realistic as you want to think you are. Which is fine. We all have to decide for ourselves what works for us. If you are faced with 15 armed bad guys it won't matter what you are carrying. If all or most of them engage you simultaneously then you are probably going to die. That's reality.

I ran with the whole "15 bad guys" deal because that is what was presented in an earlier post. But even if it was just one, having a lesser amount of ammunition available in your weapon is not an advantage........EVER.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Every handgun is a compromise. For some people there is a significant difference in how capable they are with different platforms. To say one is clearly superior over others is nonsense. More ammunition available is a plus. If it means you have to carry something you aren't as comfortable or accurate with, then it is bad. No one characteristic of a gun trumps all others. My EDC is 16+1. Fortunately, it is the gun I shoot best. That doesn't apply to everyone.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    On second thought you would go with the same caliber, but in a lesser capacity pistol??? :dunno:

Well yeah! I mean a Glock makes bad guys hurt and all, but a 1911 does it with style. Haven't you been reading all the 1911 threads on INGO?

At 15 to 1, facing dedicated shooters, I don't want to go out with plastic in hand. If I'm going to expire in that fight, I'd prefer it to be with stainless and mammoth ivory in hand. Besides, the sight of a 1911 will surely strike fear into half the gun fighters on the other side, evening the odds somewhat when they flee.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In the real world you may face possibly 4 thugs and most of them will not have the shooting skills to do serious open confrontation and hit much of anything they are intending to hit. At least 3 will have at most 2 or 3 rounds in their crap A$$ non-maintenanced Bravo Sierra pistols. 1 may have some rounds and skills and he will show like a lightning bug at midnight. 1911 dances with the Alpha first and pray the others do not get lucky. Reality.

That said if I see or here of 15 dedicated skilled shooters I am leaving under cover. Screw that........:)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom