• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Made it out to the river Saturday mid-morning for a few hours. Started off throwing a green cone head woolly bugger. Had a couple bites, but failed to bring one to hand. I switched to a grey/cream lead eye streamer. I made my way to a known pool, that is the perfect smallie habitat, but I've never caught one out of it. Saturday changed all that. I was swinging the streamer through the pool and I was pulling one right after another out of the pool. I caught 6 smallies in about 30 minutes. None were huge, but averaged around 14". I just love the fight that the smallies give. Anyway, I moved up river and didn't catch anything else, except for a crappie as I made my way back to my truck.

All in all, it was a great day. I caught fish out of the pool that I've been skunked on numerous times, and I gained confidence in my streamer fishing. Plus, I was out on the river on a beautiful day.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    [video=youtube_share;3IZayYnUUVk]http://youtu.be/3IZayYnUUVk[/video]

So, stupid logistics question, never having owned a boat (my brother has but he is in FL). It appears I would not need to title/register a kayak based on this

BMV: Registrations / Decals

But is there anything I would need to do from a licensing, etc standpoint at all on a kayak of this nature, or just buy it, toss it in the truck and be able to take it fishing?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So anyone kayak fish out on Eagle Creek reservoir? That is one of the places close to me that would be interesting, as well as other places folks my recommend on west side, Avon/Plainfield, etc area. Additional shore fishing suggestions welcome as well.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    So anyone kayak fish out on Eagle Creek reservoir? That is one of the places close to me that would be interesting, as well as other places folks my recommend on west side, Avon/Plainfield, etc area. Additional shore fishing suggestions welcome as well.
    There was a kayak fishing tournament on Eagle Creek 2 weeks ago, and I believe there are several guys around Indy that fish it semi-regularly. Check out Central Indiana Kayak Anglers on Facebook, if you're on there. They're out fishing quite a bit and I'm sure they'd be glad to help ya along.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There was a kayak fishing tournament on Eagle Creek 2 weeks ago, and I believe there are several guys around Indy that fish it semi-regularly. Check out Central Indiana Kayak Anglers on Facebook, if you're on there. They're out fishing quite a bit and I'm sure they'd be glad to help ya along.

Cool. I'll check it out. Taking baby steps, so I know what I am getting myself into on cost, etc. My son is potentially interested in this as well. His first car may need to be a truck so we can pull this off.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I want to kayak on racoon lake but I refuse to disarm myself to do so. I fished the big blue river all last year and was unimpressed. I caught a few, but I stuck out more than anything.

Ive been looking for a good place to go that isnt 2 hours away from Indy.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Roboworms are becoming one of my go to lures when it the bite is low. Six inch Roboworm split-shot on six pound line has got me two bass when they didn't seem to be biting.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

heh, I just found them the other day ;)

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    View attachment 28457
    This is what a truck load of St. Croix rod blanks looks like.

Can I have one?? PLLLLLEEEEAAASSSSEEEE

Actually that might not need to be in purple if you have any fly blanks.

On poppers? Oh man, my favorite fly to catch smallies. Guess I'll be heading out to the river tomorrow.

How do you fish those in moving water? Maybe its just I fish in too fast of water(900+cfs).

I have also been fishing riverside park around 24th till i moved last week and caught a bunch of gills.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    How do you fish those in moving water? Maybe its just I fish in too fast of water(900+cfs).

I have also been fishing riverside park around 24th till i moved last week and caught a bunch of gills.

I actually prefer to use sliders/divers to poppers for smallies. For some reason I have better luck with them. Anyway, to answer your question, it's actually pretty easy and my favorite way to catch smallies.

I just toss the fly close to the bank/cover and strip it in. More often than not, they will hit it within a strip or two. It's more of a reactionary strike. You may have to throw an upstream mend to keep it in place longer, but usually the strikes come very quick. If they don't hit it within two or three strips, I reset a few feet up (or down) from the previous cast. If you've never caught a smallie on top, please give it a shot.

My favorite (and most productive) top water smallie fly is the "Sneaky Pete" in chartreuse.

EDIT: You could also "swing" the fly in the current, imitating a dying minnow. I prefer the bank shots, but they both will produce.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I am mainly a bass fisherman.

This year so far I've caught a few 12" bass. Not real impressive, but they were caught from a heavily-fished, non-producing lake. The lake was very productive, especially for panfish, when I was a teenager. Then people found it and overfished it.

I've been playing with new tactics and they've been mostly successful.

It's pre-spawn moving to spawn in that lake, so the bass have moved shallow. I need to get the boat going for when it starts getting hot this summer as I'll have to go deep.

Josh

Attachments

• just caught.jpg
      just caught.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 8
    • recovering bass.jpg
      recovering bass.jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 5

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads