• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I went today got two small small mouths and almost landed a large mouth but he snapped my line. It was my first time using a spinner so i am happy. Would have got pics or video but I had a crazy lady trying to break my rods and lines, it took telling her she is committing a c misdemeanor and can go to jail and that i was about to call a CO to get her to leave.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I went today got two small small mouths and almost landed a large mouth but he snapped my line. It was my first time using a spinner so i am happy. Would have got pics or video but I had a crazy lady trying to break my rods and lines, it took telling her she is committing a c misdemeanor and can go to jail and that i was about to call a CO to get her to leave.
    where do you fish man? It sounds like she needed a good dunk in the water to cool off!

well, I got my reels and cleaned, lubed, and despoiled with new line. I'm off work until Friday and the wife and my 9 month old are leaving for a trip to Michigan Tuesday. I have the feeling I'm going to grill up a mess of 'gills Tuesday for dinner and the house will probably smell like a dirty man by Saturday:D I'm so freakin' excited to go fishing!!!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Would you believe this is the first time I've fished from my kayak I bought over the winter? Would you believe this is the first fish I've caught on a crankbait? All true.

First Large Bass Caught using new Fishing Kayak - YouTube

Great bass!!!

Don't be shy about getting your thumb in that mouth, I thought you were going to lose that fish a couple of times, they come unhooked from crankbaits pretty easily with the shake of a head.

If you can, take your other hand and hold the fish up under it's belly, will make the fins all rise up and get a good "trophy shot" with the hat cam. I just recently started doing this and it makes for good pics.

hold.JPG

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Great bass!!!

Don't be shy about getting your thumb in that mouth, I thought you were going to lose that fish a couple of times, they come unhooked from crankbaits pretty easily with the shake of a head.

If you can, take your other hand and hold the fish up under it's belly, will make the fins all rise up and get a good "trophy shot" with the hat cam. I just recently started doing this and it makes for good pics.

hold.JPG

JT, what kind/make/model of Kayak do you have? Where did you get it at?

I'm still looking into them after I've seen some of your stuff. Seems like the sit on top kind would be better for fishing and more stable for that purpose.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Mine's a future beach 144, bought at Dunham's.

We also have an 8 foot Aruba sit in and my brother has a 10 foot Aruba sit in. I can't say there is much difference in them from my rookie perspective.

They are all pretty stable and get the job done. Honestly... I don't know which I would have bought if I had to do it again, lol.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I've fished from my kayak three times this weekend, my first three times, and I'm addicted to it already! It is a blast to quietly paddle in small ponds and throw lures in the water. Now I'm after a second kayak so I can take a family member with me. It is my first kayak though so for a first kayak I think it is a good solid choice. I'm planning on taking it to Raccoon Lake and I'm sure it will handle that water fine. The only thing I would criticize about my Ride 115 is that it is heavy and I don't think I need something that heavy for small/medium ponds. The one I'm looking at now is the Native Ultimate that weighs around 50 or so pounds. Those things look sweet. I know a pond that takes some walking to get to and a 50 pound kayak would be great for that small pond. I also noticed all the sit inside kayaks weigh less than the sit-on-tops. Really, for where I fish a sit-in-side would probably suffice too. No doubt though sit-on-tops are the popular thing right now.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Mine's a future beach 144, bought at Dunham's.

We also have an 8 foot Aruba sit in and my brother has a 10 foot Aruba sit in. I can't say there is much difference in them from my rookie perspective.

They are all pretty stable and get the job done. Honestly... I don't know which I would have bought if I had to do it again, lol.

I've fished from my kayak three times this weekend, my first three times, and I'm addicted to it already! It is a blast to quietly paddle in small ponds and throw lures in the water. Now I'm after a second kayak so I can take a family member with me. It is my first kayak though so for a first kayak I think it is a good solid choice. I'm planning on taking it to Raccoon Lake and I'm sure it will handle that water fine. The only thing I would criticize about my Ride 115 is that it is heavy and I don't think I need something that heavy for small/medium ponds. The one I'm looking at now is the Native Ultimate that weighs around 50 or so pounds. Those things look sweet. I know a pond that takes some walking to get to and a 50 pound kayak would be great for that small pond. I also noticed all the sit inside kayaks weigh less than the sit-on-tops. Really, for where I fish a sit-in-side would probably suffice too. No doubt though sit-on-tops are the popular thing right now.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check them out.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    After a year with Kayaks used primarily for fishing and hunting I would say a few things are now obvious to me.

The shorter the Yak the easier it is to lift, balance, swing, drag, toss in or on a vehicle and handle alone. Shorter tends to equal lighter weight. So our 9' SOT's designed for skinny/slack water are great for all of that and all of the other benefits that come with using a kayak like this.

Now, the thing I am done with is shooting through class 2 and 3 rapids with them. "Them" being SOT's. I am not saying it won't happen again, I know me but I am pretty much making it a rule to avoid class 3's. I pushed my gear to its limit and satisfied my curiosity, based on my skill level. So if you want to fish and enjoy shooting some serious rapids with the same kayak, don't get a SOT. I knew in the end if I enjoyed kayaks I would either need a larger one to compliment the short ones or a one man canoe..............or both ;) each have their strengths based on what activity you will use them for. I am not combining fishing and adventure any more. When you try to fish and the adventure takes over, it gets a bit hairy. So far all I end up is wet, scratched, bruised and taking Aleve. At 50 i am done with that crap, this ain't no mid life crisis for me, I just want to fish and see wildlife.

For opening up new waters, ease of transportation and access to areas others cant go, the kayak has been a huge win.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    According to Rick Taylor's Prime Time solunar calendar, Wednesday is the highest solunar day of the year at 86 (out of a 100). I guess no other day in the year will be at or higher than 86.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Great bass!!!

Yeah, I was wanting to lip that big bass but that crankbait was right in front on the lip. I didn't want to get a finger stuck with a treble hook. I didn't know how to go about grabbing it so I just pulled it up on my lap. Another board said to get some fish grips when when a bass has treble hooks in its mouth.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah, I was wanting to lip that big bass but that crankbait was right in front on the lip. I didn't want to get a finger stuck with a treble hook. I didn't know how to go about grabbing it so I just pulled it up on my lap. Another board said to get some fish grips when when a bass has treble hooks in its mouth.

That was a nice "first" bass. You may want to look into getting a net to land them, if you're worried about getting stuck with the hook. You were making me nervous yanking on that line lifting the fish out of the water. The last thing you need is to hook up with a pig, only to lose it trying to land it. Nice nets can be found cheap, and the price will be worth it to land a trophy.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Went fishing with my nephew today, went by myself Sunday, I managed 6 decent bluegill Sunday but today was a bust other than a 6" small mouth. I did manage to hook into a few gar, but didn't get any landed. All my decent fishing holes are letting me down:dunno:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Went fishing with my son Monday at a local park. Got 4 tiny to small bluegill and 4 small crappie.

Small fish are better than no fish. He's happy as long as one of us is catching them, lol!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Well I got out again today and tore it up:D probably 10-15 largemouth in the 2-3 pound range, and several average size redear and bluegills. I found a honey hole with some beautiful structure and water. Crystal clear, probably 10, deep around the logs, and farther out it's deeper and the water is a vibrant blue. I was watching the bass swim up and grab my bait! I'm going back tomorrow!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It sounds like you had a great day Frosty! The lake we've been fishing is getting treated tomorrow for weeds and the sign at the launch says not to eat the fish out of it for the next 30 days. We are pretty bummed since we've been doing pretty good there on gills and red ear. I don't know what they are spraying, but I sure hope it doesn't harm the eggs as the red ears are all nesting where we were over the weekend. Tons of them in there.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Ooooh! Almost forgot... At our old campground, we watched the fish population dwindle (well, size anyways) over the course of 5 years. It was not unusual to catch a 5 lb bass once or twice a month, to eventually being lucky to catch one that was 12". acreage on lake was maybe 20 acre?

This past weekend, we fished our new campground (85 acres of lake), and I was happy to catch 5 bass our first morning out on the lake. One was a 2.5 lb, the others were about 1.5 lb each.
    Bad news: the bottom is really stick filled and I lost a few jigs with very few casts.
    Good news: They like a red worm (texas rig)

(fwiw, I always catch and release)

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well today out of no where I decided i was gonna go fishin in an hour i caught 15 fish. 3 of em (catfish) absolutely did not want to come in, they weren't very big but they had a lot of fight in em. Might post a few pics in a bit.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom