• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Hit the White River on Indy southside on Friday with my brother, no strikes or even nibbles.

Went out again Sunday evening and hit Allen's Creek on Lake Monroe with no bites.

I'll be hiting my honey hole after work today.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Taking off work Thursday and Friday, May 1 and 2. Heading out to Marblehead, Ohio (near Port Clinton) for Walleye on Lake Erie. We did really well last year, hoping for another "big pig" day! :):

This is one from last year:
    DSC_5630_zpsdd4da711.jpg
    Nice! I'll be fishing Erie out of Port Clinton around late June with a bunch of guys from work, looking forward to reeling in some tasty fillets!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Nice! I'll be fishing Erie out of Port Clinton around late June with a bunch of guys from work, looking forward to reeling in some tasty fillets!

I'm hearing very positive reports from our charter captain, the same guy we hired last year. He's telling us the big walleye are very active right now, they've been doing great. He thinks that might be because of the late ice melt. He was one of the first guys to get his boat on the water this year, and that was only 3 to 4 weeks ago. I am hoping the frenzy lasts another 10 days!

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Just finished eating a nice bluegill dinner. I kept a dozen out of over fifty I caught in a farm pond next door.

The only thing that beats bluegill is crappie.

Greenedog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    Greene County
    My oldest son came home for Easter dinner and we got out for some trout and bass fishing at Hillenbrand FWA. Good fun!
    [video=youtube;RgcM845Ty7I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgcM845Ty7I[/video]

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Wow, that's impressive...only fly fishing 5 times and hooking into some carp. There is a huge following of carp on the fly. They are said to be the "hillbilly bonefish," as they are spooky, hard to get a take and run like a train. I've never caught either, just sharing some of my observations. Hopefully, I'll land both this year. Usually, 7 or 8 weight rod is the preferred outfit, but you must be doing something right.

About the gauge heights, you are probably right, but the extra 1.25' of water really speeds things up, essentially you are doubling the water through the spot you are used to. Also, the topo can change quite a bit from year to year, especially with all the flooding we just had. Just be safe out there, always wear your wading belt and tell someone where you are going if you go alone.

I am no help inside 465, but if you venture north, shoot me a pm and maybe we can meet somewhere. I saw your post in the FF forum, and I'm in, depending on dates.

EDIT: Here is a forum I frequent, not as much activity as INGO, but it is fly fishing oriented (and free). Toward the bottom of the page, there are separate forums for different geographies. You may find someone that knows about downtown indy.

The North American Fly Fishing Forum. Fly fishing news and views across the USA and Canada

I went on saturday and did notice that really the flow rate was a little high but still fishable but the water color killed it completely. I actually use 2 wading belts plus staff, as Im a little short and use it as a depth probe so I dont go too deep. Ill have to contact you in the fall as I do have a spot within 465 that can produce and usually has carp as well, or Ill be at my friends this weekend and could see he would let you come over.

Flymasters, yes they are still open, I have no idea how. I will never step foot in there again. They are real "snobish," basically, they can't be bothered to help you. I went in there last winter to buy some waders, boots, etc. Essentially, I was about to drop some coin (~$700) on the best stuff from Simms. I was with my wife and my newborn son. I walked around browsing the shop for about 30 minutes, while picking up a new fly line and looking at the waders. The employees were talking amongst themselves, laughing, joking around and probably didn't think I was going to spend any money. Well, I had enough after 30+ minutes of not being acknowledged, and put the fly line back, and walked out the door.

This is the first time I've been essentially ignored at a fly shop. I've been to them all over the country, and this was a first. After talking with other fly fishermen, it was not an isolated event. I am happy to spend my money elsewhere, namely Orvis (Clay Terrace) and Wildcat Creek Outfitters (Zionsville).

Actually I get that as well depending on who works at the time as some of the guys are really nice and do try and help if they arent busy with another customer, but the service does seem better at the other stores. My thinking is that when compared to orvis or WCO their stock levels are alot higher and thats what keeps them in business plus most of their flies are cheaper($1.50+ off) than orvis or WCO.

Now I did go to eagle creek and caught a bunch on monday on clousers and the water is perfectly clear and slow enough to safely wade. Im going to be there sunday with a friend for his first time wading and stream fishing.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ill have to contact you in the fall as I do have a spot within 465 that can produce and usually has carp as well, or Ill be at my friends this weekend and could see he would let you come over.

..most of their flies are cheaper($1.50+ off) than orvis or WCO.

Now I did go to eagle creek and caught a bunch on monday on clousers and the water is perfectly clear and slow enough to safely wade. Im going to be there sunday with a friend for his first time wading and stream fishing.

I'm definitely down for a fall trip inside 465. I appreciate the offer about the weekend, but I will be out of town chasing some bones, tarpon, 'cuda, permit, and whatever else that will take a fly.

I get most of my flies from Sierra Trading Post, and you can find them on sale for ~$0.50. I do buy some flies locally, but when it comes to stocking boxes, STP is my go-to.

Good to hear about the Eagle Creek. I'm assuming your are going south of Zionsville. I went last summer pretty much in Zionsville and only caught a few gills and bass. I've heard at the mouth to the Reservoir, there are stripers that run up into the creek. I think that is happening soon. Good luck Sunday.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Don't waste your time going to Eagle Creek just yet. A retired buddy of mine who knows every stump, boulder and submerged log in the reservoir around the old gravel pit within the reach of a fly line and who is out there fishing nearly every day has been lucky so far to just catch a couple of small crappies or bluegills. A week or so ago when I was out there with him, I got only one small white bass for my nearly 4 hours of whipping the water. I order most of my flies on-line from the Fly Shack. Most of them are $0.69 @, but they seem to last quite a while through many fish. The only problem I have had with them is that they sometimes do not have the fly in the size that I would like.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Oh yeah! I got the biggest bass I ever caught today! I had my scales with me - two pounds and fifteen ounces! Almost three pounds! I was bank fishing too. Again, I was using eight pound hi-vis yellow mono Sufix on a spinning reel. I first had on a 7.5 inch Culprit worm in Fire and Ice color. I had it split-shot rigged. I went to my favorite place but some guy was already there. So I tried another place that I didn't really like because I was out in the sun. I wasn't sure if bass were going for the Culprit worm or not. I wasn't getting any solid bites and I couldn't tell if they were biting it or it was split-shot weight running into small twigs or other stuff on the bottom of the lake. Then I got was knew was a good tug from a fish. I then decided to switch to a El Grande Gila Monster 5 inch in Green Pumpkin. That did it. Two casts and I reeled in a big bass!

Oh, and that is the first bass I've caught with big teeth! Yeah, they didn't cut my thumb but I could sure feel them. lol.

And, I the hook I was using, GamaKatsu 3/0 round bend hook, I had the barb crushed down. The bass stayed on and it was very simple to pull the hook out. I've decided to smash down all the barbs now for easier hook removal.

So who says bass are scared of hi-vis yellow line and you need "invisible" fluorocarbon to catch big fish? Not me. The line companies do, but I'm doing fine with my bright yellow line!

The split-shot is now my favorite way to fish.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    I then decided to switch to a El Grande Gila Monster 5 inch in Green Pumpkin. That did it. Two casts and I reeled in a big bass!

Oh, and that is the first bass I've caught with big teeth! Yeah, they didn't cut my thumb but I could sure feel them. lol.

Bass absolutely hate anything that looks like a lizard in the springtime, since they will rob the nest. You made a good bait selection. Congratulations.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Been tearing them up with white/shad colored Rat-L-Trap and white/silver colorado bladed spinner bait. It was on fire this morning, bass just pounding the Trap when running it parallel to a bank line with a fairly distinct drop off. I've caught a lot of fish over the years on a Rat-L-Trap, but haven't actually "seen" the fish strike it as often as I was able to actually see the strike as it happened today. Great day of fishing. My son slowed down a bit and was sight fishing with some soft plastic and was able to hook up with a few nice fish today as well.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Oh yeah! I got the biggest bass I ever caught today! I had my scales with me

So who says bass are scared of hi-vis yellow line and you need "invisible" fluorocarbon to catch big fish? Not me. The line companies do, but I'm doing fine with my bright yellow line!

The split-shot is now my favorite way to fish.
    First off, scales, not scale but scales? You are in deep now!

Second, I am dumping the thousands of yards of wrong colored lines I own as soon as AmVets can get a truck here to haul it away.

Now that you like split shot, you need another rod, dedicated to your confidence bait/technique.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    April 26,27,28 Report

Eagle Creek
    I fished this with a friend for his first time and managed to catch 4 2-3lb White bass/striper in about 20 minutes as we left to get to the NRA convention

Private pond
    1 carp 15lbs
    countless bluegills
    4 largemouths

Monon center(I bet you didnt know there were fish there)
    2 17in largemouth
    1 channel cat
    This was with 47F and 25MPH winds during the Orivs 201 class. Im glad I had just purchased a helios 8wt as most people had 5wt and could barely cast into that wind.

I will be going back to my friends this weekend as the carp were on the nest last weekend. I will also be going to riverside park and the 29th st ramp to fish this evening to test the spots out. Next monday I will be trying out the monon center and meadowlark park in carmel or possibly ft.harrison depending on if i could possibly catch any trout.

Most of my sucess this weekend came with wooly buggers ranging from 14 to 6 in either black or chartreuse.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well i just came in from crawlin around the backyard for bait gonna try the river tomorrow not expecting to catch much since i usually dont have any luck when the river is up

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We managed to catch enough for dinner Tuesday...all bluegill and crappie. It's been too windy since then to even attempt going out.

Top Bottom