• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Are Indiana bass in the pre-spawn stage right now? Are they in the early pre-spawn stage on average in Indiana or deep in pre-spawn stage or something else?

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    That depends on where you are fishing. Once the temps get into the low 50's that would be pre-spawn time. 54-60 spawning time usually, but some will be before and after. That should clear things up. I went to a pool store and got a pool thermometer and use it to check water temps. It is very handy.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Where are you catching carp on the fly? That is on my list this year.

I caught a couple largemouth Friday and Saturday on olive wooly buggers at a local pond. I'm not sure if the White will be low enough for wading by the weekend (at least by me). I've been out quite a few times this year, with the flows around 4.5' (Noblesville station), and I thought it was too high to get any fish to participate. It may have been because the water/air temps were so cold, but I couldn't get to some of the productive water.

Private pond in fishers at my friends place.
    Ive been catching them mostly on size 12 caddis or size 14 wooly buggers. The funny thing is I have only been fly fishing 5 times now and it seems to becoming more productive than jig fishing for me and man do carp give you a work out on a 5wt.

Where I fish below 75th on the white(offshoot) usually I can wet wade at 2.5ft on the 82nd st guage and only get knee deep at most and im 5'5, and most of the time its only mid calf deep if not out of the water. Now I recently purchased a set of chest waders and boots so Im figuring that the extra 1-1.25' of water wont matter that much as I know the layout and topo really well from the fall. Now I have found that these fish seem to like the current atleast in the fall as if I try to fish a pool I might not get a bite but as soon as the bait moves into a run usually its an instant hit. My only worry is with the higher current it will cause the fish to spread out as there are no longer just runs but the entire river is swift moving.

Since Im a cyclist and dont own a car Ive been looking for spots that maybe the other fly fishers might have passed over and not even realized ie: fall creek near downtown and 56th, white river and williams creek, ft.harrison, its just Im not finding much information at all as the only forum I can find for indy is paid($35 a year and everyone thinks being a site supporter for ingo is bad).

That depends on where you are fishing. Once the temps get into the low 50's that would be pre-spawn time. 54-60 spawning time usually, but some will be before and after. That should clear things up. I went to a pool store and got a pool thermometer and use it to check water temps. It is very handy.

Thats a great ideas as the ones at the fly shop are $15+

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Ive been catching them mostly on size 12 caddis or size 14 wooly buggers. The funny thing is I have only been fly fishing 5 times now and it seems to becoming more productive than jig fishing for me and man do carp give you a work out on a 5wt.

Where I fish below 75th on the white(offshoot) usually I can wet wade at 2.5ft on the 82nd st guage and only get knee deep at most and im 5'5, and most of the time its only mid calf deep if not out of the water. Now I recently purchased a set of chest waders and boots so Im figuring that the extra 1-1.25' of water wont matter that much as I know the layout and topo really well from the fall. Now I have found that these fish seem to like the current atleast in the fall as if I try to fish a pool I might not get a bite but as soon as the bait moves into a run usually its an instant hit. My only worry is with the higher current it will cause the fish to spread out as there are no longer just runs but the entire river is swift moving.

Since Im a cyclist and dont own a car Ive been looking for spots that maybe the other fly fishers might have passed over and not even realized ie: fall creek near downtown and 56th, white river and williams creek, ft.harrison, its just Im not finding much information at all as the only forum I can find for indy is paid($35 a year and everyone thinks being a site supporter for ingo is bad).

Thats a great ideas as the ones at the fly shop are $15+
    There is not much when it comes to Fall Creek inside 465. I lived near Fall Creek above 56th street for a number of years and use to train my Lab in the creek there down stream from Q95. Focus on the stretch along the Fort. Ride your bike in to the park, I want to say East of the walnut grove, lock it up and head north on foot to the creek. It's been awhile for me but I have family that lives just outside the park so I know it has changed. Also, everyone fishes the main pond. Most people are too lazy to haul gear to the smaller pond back in the park. I use to go back there in spring and fall to get some quite time on foot. I never fished it but never saw anyone else fishing it either.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County

Where I fish below 75th on the white(offshoot) usually I can wet wade at 2.5ft on the 82nd st guage and only get knee deep at most and im 5'5, and most of the time its only mid calf deep if not out of the water. Now I recently purchased a set of chest waders and boots so Im figuring that the extra 1-1.25' of water wont matter that much as I know the layout and topo really well from the fall...

Wow, that's impressive...only fly fishing 5 times and hooking into some carp. There is a huge following of carp on the fly. They are said to be the "hillbilly bonefish," as they are spooky, hard to get a take and run like a train. I've never caught either, just sharing some of my observations. Hopefully, I'll land both this year. Usually, 7 or 8 weight rod is the preferred outfit, but you must be doing something right.

About the gauge heights, you are probably right, but the extra 1.25' of water really speeds things up, essentially you are doubling the water through the spot you are used to. Also, the topo can change quite a bit from year to year, especially with all the flooding we just had. Just be safe out there, always wear your wading belt and tell someone where you are going if you go alone.

I am no help inside 465, but if you venture north, shoot me a pm and maybe we can meet somewhere. I saw your post in the FF forum, and I'm in, depending on dates.

EDIT: Here is a forum I frequent, not as much activity as INGO, but it is fly fishing oriented (and free). Toward the bottom of the page, there are separate forums for different geographies. You may find someone that knows about downtown indy.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    There use to be a fly shop up on Allisonville rd, just south of 465. Hit them for advice if they are still open. Then there is that lake just west of that area.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There use to be a fly shop up on Allisonville rd, just south of 465. Hit them for advice if they are still open. Then there is that lake just west of that area.

Flymasters, yes they are still open, I have no idea how. I will never step foot in there again. They are real "snobish," basically, they can't be bothered to help you. I went in there last winter to buy some waders, boots, etc. Essentially, I was about to drop some coin (~$700) on the best stuff from Simms. I was with my wife and my newborn son. I walked around browsing the shop for about 30 minutes, while picking up a new fly line and looking at the waders. The employees were talking amongst themselves, laughing, joking around and probably didn't think I was going to spend any money. Well, I had enough after 30+ minutes of not being acknowledged, and put the fly line back, and walked out the door.

This is the first time I've been essentially ignored at a fly shop. I've been to them all over the country, and this was a first. After talking with other fly fishermen, it was not an isolated event. I am happy to spend my money elsewhere, namely Orvis (Clay Terrace) and Wildcat Creek Outfitters (Zionsville).

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Finally connected with two bass today!!!! Oh yeah!! Yeah, they were small ones but still I caught them. Way under a pound each but still had fun fishing from shore. A lot of firsts: first bass this year, first time I caught a fish using
    my new Sufix high vis yellow line (six pound), first time catching a fish with my new Daiwa Lexa reel, fist time catching a fish with my Fenwick HMG rod, first time catching a fish using Berkleys four inch black power worm and also a Zoom plastic grub. Nice!

JohnMcClane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2014
    Indy
    I hope to get some fishing in tomorrow with the boys. Excited to get their new rods out. This weekend looks to be shaping up nicely...

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    My best friend and I spent five hours today beating Patoka Lake to a froth with crankbaits and spinnerbaits without a single hit. AAARRGGHHH!!:(

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Finally got on the Tippy yesterday. Slow day, but caught a couple nice ones. One about 2 1/2 pounds, then this chunck;

smbassw_zpsb399708d.jpg

:D

Picked up 2 bags of beer cans and bottles at the Hwy 18 access point. :xmad: Litterpigs :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Flymasters, yes they are still open, I have no idea how. I will never step foot in there again. They are real "snobish," basically, they can't be bothered to help you. I went in there last winter to buy some waders, boots, etc. Essentially, I was about to drop some coin (~$700) on the best stuff from Simms. I was with my wife and my newborn son. I walked around browsing the shop for about 30 minutes, while picking up a new fly line and looking at the waders. The employees were talking amongst themselves, laughing, joking around and probably didn't think I was going to spend any money. Well, I had enough after 30+ minutes of not being acknowledged, and put the fly line back, and walked out the door.

This is the first time I've been essentially ignored at a fly shop. I've been to them all over the country, and this was a first. After talking with other fly fishermen, it was not an isolated event. I am happy to spend my money elsewhere, namely Orvis (Clay Terrace) and Wildcat Creek Outfitters (Zionsville).

It's a wonder the guys that exist there don't trip over things all day long. They have there noses pointed squarely at the ceiling!

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.

First fish of the year and last one for last year's season. I was using a frog and that bad boy was hit hard. Being from Tx I'm used to the warm waters. I have to say it was an incrediable feeling holding this bass. It was a cold day and i could feel the coldness from the fish run up my arm as I was removing the lure.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Good catch! I caught my third bass of the year. I caught a decent sized one, maybe a pound, on a black four inch power worm using a 2/0 worm hook and split shot and six pound hi-vis yellow mono line. I fell in love with six pound line last year. No, I would not use it if I were fishing in southern states but for the lakes/ponds I fish here six pound seems almost perfect with eight pound complimenting the six pound.

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Cought a couple largemouth on Friday. One of them had some thick ass lips. Hes gonna be a biggun one day, if some illegal doesnt take him out and eat him.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Are there any decent bank fishing areas at Shakamak state park? I've never been to this state park before and want to check it out this spring.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Taking off work Thursday and Friday, May 1 and 2. Heading out to Marblehead, Ohio (near Port Clinton) for Walleye on Lake Erie. We did really well last year, hoping for another "big pig" day! :):

This is one from last year:
    DSC_5630_zpsdd4da711.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Are there any decent bank fishing areas at Shakamak state park? I've never been to this state park before and want to check it out this spring.

Greenedog would be a good source of info over there. I used to fish it every now and then when we lived in Worthington. Lots of little bass in there, fun to catch.

Top Bottom