• ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    First fish of the year

Caught my first fish of the year and first ever on the fly rod last night. It's just a little fish, but it's better than no fish.

12398_10151413182748042_299488496_n.jpg

Jason

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Caught my first fish of the year and first ever on the fly rod last night. It's just a little fish, but it's better than no fish.

12398_10151413182748042_299488496_n.jpg

Jason

I just ordered a bunch of flies and i hope to take my fly rod out for the first time this weekend. Here on the river a lot of bugs are coming out and fish seem to be hitting the top a lot

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    bugs

I was out on the white in paragon a bit on Friday evening. Didn't even see a fish. Bugs are out though. I got eaten up at the pond I was at yesterday. Mosquitoes aren't wasting any time this year.

Jason

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I dont eat them either, but All the places Ive tried it, from white river park on down to near martinsville, the river smelled horrible, and that ruins the beauty of it for me.

Is the river better pre Indy? Ive never tried it any further upstream from WRP

Never had any problems with smell down by Worthington. My guess would be that what ever is causing the smell is diluted by the time it gets that far south. I have never eaten anything from the White. Just fish it for fun.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    yeah, im sure its just all the **** in the ground in the metro area. Im thinking about kayaking white lick from mooresville down to the white somewhere. GOt a buddy who might get a canoe or a yak to tag along.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just cleaned 10 smallish crappies. Not worthy of braggin' or pics, but it was a dandy evening for the last hour and a half of light. Hope we can keep up the warming trend. :yesway:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Nothing over the weekend out of the Kankakee. Did see some baitfish near the mouth of a creek and a small bass chasing them. Hit Lake Michigan this morning and saw a guy with one coho. Widy as all get out and most guys were heading out with nothing. Also a bad report on Willow Slough lots of guys coming up empty handed. I have a hankering for some fish darn it. I hate store bought and may have to settle on some fish sticks untill things turn around.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Got out to the pond last evening. Really windy, but got in some more casting practice with the wind coming from different directions. Also figured out what I was doing wrong with my roll casts. Anyway, pretty slow, missed a couple hits, landed a nice 2-3# largemouth.

I was on my way out, decided to hit one last spot where I've hooked up, but never landed in the past. I cast about 50', let the bugger sink to the bottom. Strip....strip...DAMN! I thought I was snagged again. There goes another $2 fly... I start muscling the snag, trying to either break off or bring it to the surface...it was coming to the surface. Wait, do I have a fish on? Am I bringing a submerged log to the surface? Hell, at the very least, I'll get my fly back. There's the start of the leader...holy hell! It's a beast! A huge turtle at my fly and he was on the line. The shell was at least 16" in diameter. WTF am I going to do now? He immediately started pulling line, diving to the bottom. After about a 5 minute fight (felt like 15 min.) he starts tiring out and I start gaining line bringing him to shore. I started reaching for my phone to take a pic, and pop, the fly came out of his mouth. I've never caught a turtle on a fly rod, so that was an experience. I've never caught a turtle that size before, so I was trying to figure out how I was going to get the fly out of his mouth. I figured I would bring him close to shore, and reach down with my forceps and get it out, and he would go on his way. Anyway, my biggest "catch" so far on the fly rod. Don't really know what kind of turtle it was, but sure caught me off guard as I've never seen a turtle in that pond before.

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Caught a half dozen small largemouths last night in the retention pond behind our home. Starting fishing about 7:45 and walked around til dark. Lots of fish up near the bank already. Caught two on a spinnerbait with TN blade and the rest on a motor oil bass assassin with no weight.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I caught a half dozen crappie at the early part of the rain this afternoon. They were much less aggressive than yesterday and not as big.

Often the rain turns them on, today was the opposite. Dunno if it was the cold front, cloudy day with still cold water or what. :dunno:
    Still, a half dozen fresh fish is just that. Not much to fuss about compared to last week... :cool:

BTW - A pound of last year's crappie in a box of Tuna Helper is much better than expected. I am on the second separate batch today.
    I have tried panfish casseroles before with poor results. Could be the butter/DilloDust saute prior to adding the other ingredients may be the key?

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The fish were still biting through the cold front yesterday, but were smaller and farther between.
    I caught the fattest 10" bass I ever seen also. She was right near the bank.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom