• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    My choice is My AK-47. ;Q Its a very grab and go weapon. Plus, have you ever been hit over the head with an AK? I choose it over a shotgun because...i dont own a shotgun. :)

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    ...third if I do ever have to use it I would rather it sit in an evidence locker rather than a more expensive firearm....

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. My home defense is a Springfield Operator. Not sure I want that sitting in the evidence locker for the unfortunate situation of having to use it. So the dilemma... Do we keep our nice guns locked up and use a less expensive firearm that we won't mind being kept by law enforcement for an unknown period of time or take the risk and go with the quality and reliability?

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I was actually thinking about this yesterday. My home defense is a Springfield Operator. Not sure I want that sitting in the evidence locker for the unfortunate situation of having to use it. So the dilemma... Do we keep our nice guns locked up and use a less expensive firearm that we won't mind being kept by law enforcement for an unknown period of time or take the risk and go with the quality and reliability?

In my opinion you definately go with quality and reliability. You utilize your best weapons awailable for home defense. Reliability could be the difference between life and death. Personally, I'd rather be ALIVE to be pissed off about my expensive firearm in police custody as evidence.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    A shotgun covers a broader field of potential worst case scenarios than an AR or any rifle for that matter. If my home is being invaded i want to get them OUT of my house and stay inside where I keep the advantage of the shotty. The ability to cover more than one attacker with only one round fired puts it on top.

The only time I would ever grab my AR in a HD situation is if I had to scram and take the fight outside. If im home alone this totally works to my advantage, but with a wife and kid, Im digging in and all who enters eats lead from the scatter gun.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    my main defence gun is my 12 g 870 with non leathal rubber buck shot 5 rds.
    next is my 9mm xdm...wich might be my 1st choice depending on the time i have
    next i have my ar with 3 full loaded mags......i hope i never need to use any of it in my home

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    A shotgun covers a broader field of potential worst case scenarios than an AR or any rifle for that matter. If my home is being invaded i want to get them OUT of my house and stay inside where I keep the advantage of the shotty. The ability to cover more than one attacker with only one round fired puts it on top.

How big is your house? Buckshot will not spread very far at common HD ranges.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    my main defence gun is my 12 g 870 with non leathal rubber buck shot 5 rds.
    next is my 9mm xdm...wich might be my 1st choice depending on the time i have
    next i have my ar with 3 full loaded mags......i hope i never need to use any of it in my home

To each his own, but do you really want to confront armed home invaders with non-lethal loads?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    You assume that I would expect to hit more than one bad guy with first contact of one round. What I am going for is what happens to the guy standing behind(relative distance) the number one bad guy? After your chosen round(all are deadly, not just buckshot) exits the first target, there is more than one projectile flying through the air. With any single bullet, you get one entry wound and one exit. i want to broaden my chance of hitting the BG that is cowering behind his soon to be slain buddy. Is it real world? Ask my buddy who carried a benelli M4 in Ramadi, Iraq for two tours. I choose shotgun because i am a lone operative and i need the most devastating weapon i can get my hands on.

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    as long as you have a light or night sights and you can hit a moving target... you can have lots of options, and they'll all be the right decision

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    You assume that I would expect to hit more than one bad guy with first contact of one round. What I am going for is what happens to the guy standing behind(relative distance) the number one bad guy? After your chosen round(all are deadly, not just buckshot) exits the first target, there is more than one projectile flying through the air. With any single bullet, you get one entry wound and one exit. i want to broaden my chance of hitting the BG that is cowering behind his soon to be slain buddy. Is it real world? Ask my buddy who carried a benelli M4 in Ramadi, Iraq for two tours. I choose shotgun because i am a lone operative and i need the most devastating weapon i can get my hands on.

Yes I did assume that you meant hitting multiple bad guys standing near each other and not behind one another with the first shot due to the spread of buckshot, sorry but I've read some ridiculous internet statements regarding 12 gauge shotguns such as cha-chinks causing bad guys to wet themselves and you don't have to aim them. I understand your logic a little better now.

Were you in Ramadi with your buddy? If so when? That place was on of the biggest s--tholes in the country for a period of time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    No apology needed. I only wish to inform. It is a point that my buddy explained to me. He says he has seen BG's jump out of buildings to escape that shotgun.
    But whichever weapon you choose, above all other things, be prepared to pull the trigger. Training and preparedness trumps the choice of equipment.

Top Bottom