• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I like to close the gap between the 12 gauge and the AR and go with a semi-auto tactical 12-gauge. My Mossberg SPX being 7+1 seems to feel just perfect. Nothing wrong with using a AR, being in your home is just one of those times when one huge shot is a good thing, bad part is only good for close"r" range.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Yes.

HDAR_001.jpg

I choose an AR for the following reasons.
    1) Capacity.
    2) Accuracy.
    3) Red dot sight.
    4) Suppressed.
    5) Weapon mounted light, although I do have these on most of my shotguns as well.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    As of now, I use my Glock 19. I have my EDC light, a nitecore, that sits next to it. I'm going to continue to use the Glock for my home defense weapon. Once I get some training on my AR, and get a light, and a red dot sight, I'll have that close by.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Right now my goto weapon is 9mm carbine.

:+1: I am going to do an AR build this winter, but I doubt it will be my "go to" gun. In my opinion, the .223 is a little risky for over penetration. I live in a neighborhood with little space in between the houses, and the most likely places for something to go down have me putting rounds through the exterior walls of my house and into my neighbors master bedroom. I will take my pistol caliber carbine, loaded with some good hollow points, and pray that they wont make it through the walls.

Now, I know that .223 isnt THAT bad, and an AR is certainly a great gun for home defense, I just dont feel comfortable with it in my housing situation.

Yes.

HDAR_001.jpg

I choose an AR for the following reasons.
    1) Capacity.
    2) Accuracy.
    3) Red dot sight.
    4) Suppressed.
    5) Weapon mounted light, although I do have these on most of my shotguns as well.

Sorry to go off on a side tread, but does anyone know of a self defense/home defense situation where the defender used a suppressed weapon? I know its perfectly legal, but it is just one of those things. I think it could easily be misconstrued by a prosecutor, even if you could explain your reasoning. Its one of those "scary" items that might impact a jury, despite being entirely relevant. So, without discussing the topic much further (I dont want to thread jack here, we have a good topic going) can anyone point me to any cases, if any exist?

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I keep both handy, it's nice to have options. There are countless scenarios that would put one above the other, so... I let situation dictate. I might also forsake either one and go with a handgun for ease of movement. Too funny answering that late night knock at the door with an AR hidden behind your leg!

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Yes, I keep one - also good for pest control (I live in the country) Long guns are for your safe room - handguns are if you aren't there or have to leave the safe room (ie retrieve child etc.); or if you are carrying etc. As for the Safety Slugs - they are not a viable defense round; go to firearmstactical.com and do so exploring. For those who think they can do something about drywall penetration check out theboxoftruth; if it's any kind of defense round it's going through.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am sorry to go off on a side tread, but does anyone know of a self defense/home defense situation where the defender used a suppressed weapon? I know its perfectly legal, but it is just one of those things. I think it could easily be misconstrued by a prosecutor, even if you could explain your reasoning. Its one of those "scary" items that might impact a jury, despite being entirely relevant. So, without discussing the topic much further (I dont want to thread jack here, we have a good topic going) can anyone point me to any cases, if any exist?

I am unaware of any past cases.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Not to threadjack, but since I am really new to longuns/shotguns etc..

Would an SBR or bullpup design make more sense as a home defense rifle? Seems to me like it would be easier to maneuver...

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I keep both handy, it's nice to have options. There are countless scenarios that would put one above the other, so... I let situation dictate. I might also forsake either one and go with a handgun for ease of movement. Too funny answering that late night knock at the door with an AR hidden behind your leg!

I'm in this camp. On a regular basis my full size 9mm pistol is my home defense piece. It's a logical choice to have handy because my wife is proficient with it and its size is right for the area of my home where my family sleeps; not so with my 1187 or AR.
    That said, I have also stood 10' back from my front door with my AR at the ready after hearing gunshots outside. If anyone was approaching my steel entry door with a weapon intending to get in my home, I was going to have the ability to respond through the door.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)

Would an SBR or bullpup design make more sense as a home defense rifle? Seems to me like it would be easier to maneuver...

The problem I have with Long guns, is overkill. I dont like the thought of a round going through, and hurting innocents.

I think a shotgun, or 9mm is best for HD; Now if the crook is outside, and there is nothing in his background, blast away.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

yes the shorter length will always be better for CQB work. plus with a 10.5" AR you can still reach out and touch someone effectively if you needed to step outside for incoming zombies.

frangible ammo will help reduce over penetration (thats what she said)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    The problem I have with Long guns, is overkill. I dont like the thought of a round going through, and hurting innocents.

I think a shotgun, or 9mm is best for HD; Now if the crook is outside, and there is nothing in his background, blast away.

you will still get over penetration with a shotgun and handgun rounds too. the key to whatever home defense gun you use is the ammo, but also tactics. make the badguy funnel into your predetermined kill zone, so you dont have to make a shot with your baby behind a wall directly behind the bad guy. or if you do, have you been trained on tactics that allow you to make sure that the round (even if overpenetrating) will not hit a friendly? I like having afew options at my ready.

what are you gonna do if you need to penetrate a vest and your not a good enough shot to hit a bad guys head while its moving around? a shotgun is an overall good choice in my opinion. but it might not always be the best option so you must be flexible. training and then practice are key.

also knowing when to use restraint in a home invasion scenario. your main priority is to secure you and your family. after thats done, is it realy wise to seek ut a bad guy or guys (always plan that theres more than one tango) ?? everyone will have to make there own choice, but in the end survival is key. if you have properly selected your fallback or safe spot then the bad guy will have to bring the fight to you and probly enter a fatal funnel. i would rather the fight be on my terms than his once my objectives are secure. but then again, if someone doesnt have a secure safe room, then exiting the structure may be your best option, but then have you planned for possible police officers that you may encounter outside that may think you are a threat? it all starts with a solid plan and prep.

Last edited:

ShooterG53

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I currently have an AR for HD and like its higher mag capacity and better accuracy in an
    "emergency" situation but have a friend that swears by his 870 loaded with 00 buckshot for the best HD gun so I am looking to purchase one soon.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Check out the INGO box of truth thread and see that pretty much everything overpenetrates.

I go with what I have, what I can feed to practice and what I can maneuver in my home. None of those are a shotgun, but for a separate reason: loading speed.

I have small kids and the decision has been made that most of my long arms are unloaded as a result (bedside/carry guns are exceptions). So to move into defense mode, I have to first load the longarm and this cannot be done with a cheap shotty the way it can with an AK or AR.

I already have the rifles so I see no advantage to buying a fast loading shotty to do what they can already do.

And, yes, one of those is an SBR which has a big advantage in tight maneuvering.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    We go with a mix. Each adult has a pistol as their personal weapon. We keep a shotty handy in the bedroom at night as a point defense weapon; lots of spare rounds in bandoleers, only one exposed stairway to come upstairs and more than place to sit in the dark and watch the stairs.

If SHTF in the big way (economic collapse, loss of civil order) then the rifles will come out, or, if we have been forced down into the underground parts of the home then I will be more likely to use .308 since overpenetration and ammo capacity will no longer be a concern.

Top Bottom