• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I have a problem that is not resolved with what I carry on my person while at home, hopefully those tools will have "bought" me enough time to access my AR. My AR is preferred weapon because it's the best tool I have to get as many rounds as I can as quickly as I can exactly where I want them to be. I shoot it more accurately under stress than any other gun I've used.

All of BigCraig's reasons also apply (although I've not yet committed to the SBR/suppressor . . . yet).

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    load a mag with ~52 grain bthp in the ar, these have shown in numerous test to have less penetration ability than most common 9mm HD rounds. using a 12 guage, especially a pump gun, is a bad plan, but better than nothing.

many people hold dear the sentiment that " racking a round into the chamber will scare off a bad guy" this is terrible as an unloaded gun is like a dull knife. near useless.
    Also work the action on nearly any rifle, the noise is metal on metal, clanging and banging, most people would assume its a gun not care what type. if someone is breaking into your house the first assumptions I would make are.
    1. they are hear to rob me- so i would inform them that the police are on their way, and I am armed.
    2. They are drunk/ kids trying to sneak in. ( this is why I would ask them to identify them selves, slightly before informing them the police are on their way and I am armed.)
    3. They are there to kill me, so as I inform them that the police are coming I also move, as I don't want them to know where I am. ( *disclaimer I don't prefer to rely on the police I just understand that in a criminal/ civil trial it is very easy to have your actions misinterpreted, and for me to face repercussions for defending myself if my actions can be painted as vigilante, or millitant)

another big myth with regards to the shotgun is that buckshot will spread and all you have to do is point it down the hallway. Please if you hold this belief go to the range and shot a round of buckshot at a target inside of seven yards. Aiming is very necessary.

Also consider your experience shooting a shotgun. If you are like me and many of my friends the bulk of our shotgun shooting is load one round, call pull, shoot clay pigeon, walk away from the firing line. this means the muscle memory I have with a pump shotgun is to empty the chamber and put the hull in my range bag, not rack another round into the chamber and prepare to shoot again. now if you have trained to shoot multiple targets, in rapid succession, say you shot a shotgun course or compete in three gun matches this will be different for you. With an Ar the next round will automatically make itself ready. ( malfunctions are possible yes, but they are with a pump shogun too)

In short the Ar gives you a higher capacity tool that requires less motor control to manipulate in the even of multiple threats, It gives you a round ( provided you are intelligent in your ammo selection) that is relatively low risk, in terms of over penetration.

I personally use a pistol, as my hallways are very narrow with lots of doors for an intruder to hide behind. walking through the house with a carbine or shotgun at the ready is difficult, the pistol less so.

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Sorry for the rookie question, but what are the regulations on putting a suppressor on an AR? Is this considered a class III and one would have to go through that process?

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    An AR would be too much for my subdivision. I don't want to shoot holes in my neighbor's walls. I use a .45 Blackhawk for home defense. An AR would be fine in a riot/Katrina situation though.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I am designing my AR-15 as an home defense option. It will mostly be for bugout purposes. My main home defense gun is my XDm. My shotgun is close by but if taken by suprise while sleeping my XDm is right there. I use number 4 buck in my shotgun. My bedroom is at the end of a narrow hallway which creates a choke point.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    My HD plan involves my EDC 9mm, a HD shotgun, and if S REALLY HTF, wife takes over the shotty and I grab the AR.

Although I do have a sniper perch above my front door if anybody tries to enter that way. ;)

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    My HD plan involves my EDC 9mm, a HD shotgun, and if S REALLY HTF, wife takes over the shotty and I grab the AR.

Although I do have a sniper perch above my front door if anybody tries to enter that way. ;)

Or if it is really that bad you call the neighbor across from your door and they got your "back" with a rifle from behind, if they're already on the porch! ... or so I've heard. ;) :ar15::D

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Right now it's a few shotguns for home defense. My girls are more comfortable with them over a handgun. When I finally get done enough on the new house I will build an sbr ump clone which will become my primary HD gun.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    I got 4 of them.2 SBRs, a 20 inch ,and a 16 inch. The SBRs are next to the bed and next to the bedroom door when theyre not in the truck.

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Here's an informative article on this subject. Selecting Home Defense Ammunition | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

Right now, my go to gun is 9mm with 124gr+P Speer Gold Dots, 2 15 round magazines, those are in a shoulder rig, and a 3 D-cell maglite. Once I've practiced more with my AR15, that will be my secondary weapon. Will mount a light, and haven't decided on ammo yet.

Here's a thread on ammo I found useful. Suitable .223 round for home defense? - THR I'm ordering Hornaday 60gr TAP-FPD. We'll see how it does.

Last edited:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    How many have an AR for home defense but actually use a pistol the last time they investigated a bump in the night?

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    i did up until i need money... I used for home defence because its what i know im end the guard and have logged hundreds of range hours and thousands of round threw M4's and m-16's. But my house is older buld with heavy bricks and its just me and my mom so less chance of over penatratin.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have a 16" barrel AR with a telescoping stock, Crimson Trace laser grip that replaces the standard grip, a combat light on the barrel and a red dot sight on top of the carry handle. I've practiced with the stock only extended 1 notch so the gun has a short length and is easy to maneuver. I have a 20 round mag loaded with 75gr OT TAP. My back up mag is a 30 rounder. I want the 20 rounds initially because it isn't as likely to snag on something in close quarters. If I make it to the 30 rounder I'm in a serious fight anyway. I also have a ready belt with a Glock 23 with 180gr Speer Gold Dots and a second 15 round mag. If all this fails there will be a pretty good write up in the morning paper about what went on at my house!

Top Bottom