• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    I did the Indy Wine Trail Chili Cook off last year in October. Chateau Thomas had the best Bison chili! I need to find that recipe. Have not found a good Primal chili yet. But it certainly would not include pasta, sugar, or cinnamon. One of the wineries in Columbus had a "fish chili" what a disgrace!

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    coney_800x600.jpg

Skyline Time

Skyline is just a cheap copy of the real deal...............

Nothing like cheese coneys and coffee for breakfast!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Anyone Ever done a chili cook-off I have seen them poping up over the years and thought it would be fun to join in and serve up some super hott chili.

I'm game for a chili cook off!!

My IBM chili has had the :yesway:'s up approval of over 80 INGO'ers @ 4 different events, the last one being the NFA Noob event. I've never served up my hot batches to them, used my mild batch in case people can't handle it, but my hot batch will light you up on cold tailgating days.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...r_action_reports_post_here-2.html#post3361868

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My family has always used tomato juice for chili base. What do places like Skyline or Coney Island use? They're definitely not a tomato juice flavor.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm typically pretty fond of my brand of chili but this thread inspired me to take it to the next level. What is the next level you ask?

Chili cooked outdoors, over a real fire....

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

Yes you see beans in there, both black and red. No you don't see any macaroni or pasta of any sort.

Thy game is over....

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Chili should NOT be runny, it is NOT soup.
    Chili will NOT contain pasta of any sort.
    Ground meat products do NOT belong in chili, meat should be shredded or pulled. ETA: Ground meat is acceptable in the case that time does not allow for proper preparation.
    Coney sauce is NOT chili.
    Chili should NOT be sweet.

These are just a couple of the basic rules of chili, if they are not adhered to you aren't making/eating chili but rather some sort of bastardized knockoff. I typically use my chili to introduce people to venison (usually those that claim to hate venison). Once they tell me how amazing it is/was, only then do I tell them it was deer. I have created quite a few new venison lovers this way and only one (wifes grandmother) that refuses to eat anything I cook again. She now distrusts me, but everyone knows it is only because she loved it and cannot admit that she wasted 80 years of her life pretending to dislike something due to the fact that the one other time she ate it, it was prepared improperly.....venison can be tricky if you don't know how to kill the gamey taste. I enjoy my chili with a bit of sour cream stirred in and raw onion and cheese on top (this should only be done at the table by the person eating it, not served this way). Yes I am a chili snob but only because I've seen some pretty disgusting excuses for chili served. My ex-MIL once tried to serve me spaghetti soup with ham and corn in it claiming it was chili. I did not allow it to pass my lips.

ETA: One last exception, if you absolutely MUST have ....eeew....pasta or rice with your chili, you may add it at the table but it should NEVER be served that way.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I will add saltine crackers to chili. I have also been known to add yellow mustard to chili. This is only done after having tasted the chili at the table to gauge it's essence.

I'd love to see an INGO Chili Cook-off. I might even be interested in organizing one. Lemme do some logistical calculations.

Would you other local guys be interested in helping put one on?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I will add saltine crackers to chili. I have also been known to add yellow mustard to chili. This is only done after having tasted the chili at the table to gauge it's essence.

I'd love to see an INGO Chili Cook-off. I might even be interested in organizing one. Lemme do some logistical calculations.

Would you other local guys be interested in helping put one on?
    I'm not local enough to do much, but count me in as a participant willing to help any way I can! I've never participated in a cook off of any sort, but am often told I should. Any site sponsors want to kick in some swag to make it interesting?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Chili should NOT be runny, it is NOT soup.
    Chili will NOT contain pasta of any sort.
    Ground meat products do NOT belong in chili, meat should be shredded or pulled. ETA: Ground meat is acceptable in the case that time does not allow for proper preparation.
    Coney sauce is NOT chili.
    Chili should NOT be sweet.

These are just a couple of the basic rules of chili, if they are not adhered to you aren't making/eating chili but rather some sort of bastardized knockoff. I typically use my chili to introduce people to venison (usually those that claim to hate venison). Once they tell me how amazing it is/was, only then do I tell them it was deer. I have created quite a few new venison lovers this way and only one (wifes grandmother) that refuses to eat anything I cook again. She now distrusts me, but everyone knows it is only because she loved it and cannot admit that she wasted 80 years of her life pretending to dislike something due to the fact that the one other time she ate it, it was prepared improperly.....venison can be tricky if you don't know how to kill the gamey taste. I enjoy my chili with a bit of sour cream stirred in and raw onion and cheese on top (this should only be done at the table by the person eating it, not served this way). Yes I am a chili snob but only because I've seen some pretty disgusting excuses for chili served. My ex-MIL once tried to serve me spaghetti soup with ham and corn in it claiming it was chili. I did not allow it to pass my lips.

ETA: One last exception, if you absolutely MUST have ....eeew....pasta or rice with your chili, you may add it at the table but it should NEVER be served that way.

QFT, minus the sour cream.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is about 500 or so different ways to make a good chili. Pick your favorite and go with it. I like my wife's the best. It is good fresh from the stove, 2 days old it is better. Try making an omelet with the left overs sometime. Great stuff.

Top Bottom