• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The only blowback in my chili is the flavour bomb. Unlike you and your buddy Obama's bean soup. That blows out the other end and is about the only explosive thing about yours.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    chil·i/ˈCHilē/

Noun:
    • A small hot-tasting pod of a variety of capsicum, used chopped (and often dried) in sauces, relishes, and spice powders.
    • A spicy stew of beef and red chilies or chili powder, often with beans and tomatoes.

:cool:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The organisation that runs all the national and international chili cook offs have the defining definition of chili.

1. Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats,
    cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA
    which are strictly forbidden.
    2. Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked
    with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which
    are strictly forbidden.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The organisation that runs all the national and international chili cook offs have the defining definition of chili.

Exactly. However.. We aren't talking about "Traditional Red Chili" or "Chili Verde" etc, which they have specific definitions for, we are talking about the more general term "chili".

..and, we aren't competing in a contest run by that organization :D

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The organization that runs all the national and international chili cook offs didn't exist when chili was created. They came in after the fact and made some rules for competition. My chili has beans in it, always has & always will. I don't plan to compete at national or international cook offs so I could care less what the organization has to say. :)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    So, you're not planning on a chili cook off? That's cool. Soup is a good food, too. So's stew.

Read my post again...
    "we aren't competing in a contest run by that organization"
    ..and read YOUR post again..
    "1. Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats,
    cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA"
    We are talking about a "CHILI Cookoff", not an "Officially Sanctioned 'Traditional Red Chili' Competition As Defined By International Rule"

The organization that runs all the national and international chili cook offs didn't exist when chili was created. They came in after the fact and made some rules for competition. My chili has beans in it, always has & always will. I don't plan to compete at national or international cook offs so I could care less what the organization has to say. :)

Summed up right there.. :)

This is getting to be like the "How Do You Season Your Cast Iron" thread... :n00b:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    While I agree that TRUE chili does not contain beans, You will be HARD pressed to find any in the mid-west that doesn't. Perhaps mid-westerners that are competing will forgo the beans for competition purposes but when they are feeding it to their family, most often it will be stretched by the addition of beans. Same reason for adding pasta, but overcooked mushy pasta is one of the most disgusting things that can be put in the mouth. Try letting your chili sit long enough for the flavors to set in while the pasta is in it and see how "al dente" it is. This is why I claim pasta and rice should be served separate and added at the table by the consumer of the chili.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Will someone please start an INGO OC Chili Cook Off thread and link it here so we can get this thing going? I can't wait to school y'all.

ETA: Barrys chili recipe looks a little bland and flavorless....pretty small batch size to justify a whole pound of meat too.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Exactly. However.. We aren't talking about "Traditional Red Chili" or "Chili Verde" etc, which they have specific definitions for, we are talking about the more general term "chili".

..and, we aren't competing in a contest run by that organization :D

^^^^
    This....these guys and others "get it".

People fail to realize that food is a regional "thing", anyone here ever try to order a "tenderloin" outside of Indiana? If you did, you got the stare of craziness because outside of Indiana, it's basically an unknown thing.

Same goes for any kind of food, and that includes chili.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    While I agree that TRUE chili does not contain beans, You will be HARD pressed to find any in the mid-west that doesn't. Perhaps mid-westerners that are competing will forgo the beans for competition purposes but when they are feeding it to their family, most often it will be stretched by the addition of beans. Same reason for adding pasta, but overcooked mushy pasta is one of the most disgusting things that can be put in the mouth. Try letting your chili sit long enough for the flavors to set in while the pasta is in it and see how "al dente" it is. This is why I claim pasta and rice should be served separate and added at the table by the consumer of the chili.

What pasta I add to it, is not added until my chili has set in the fridge overnight and then is only added when reheated back up to eat. Even then the pastas is only boiled 5 minutes before being added, no mushy pasta in my chili.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    The only blowback in my chili is the flavour bomb. Unlike you and your buddy Obama's bean soup. That blows out the other end and is about the only explosive thing about yours.

You still didn't deny that Barrack and you are lovers.....Did you have Larry Sinclair there too?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXChcvVPv2A

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I made some today using Carol Shelby's mix. I used two pounds of ground chuck cooked with half of a sweet onion chopped corsely, and Meijer Naturals brand tomato sauce. I also added a can of Rotel with habaneros (the label said HOT). I used a bottle of Founders Breakfast Stout -- double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout -- and about a half bottle of water. No beans ;) Ate it with Meijer brand shredded taco cheese and Zesties crackers.

I don't know if it's the best, and I doubt it is, but my belly sure feels good :) I may try it over some spaghetti later in the week, or maybe over a baked potato.

Top Bottom