• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Never heard of this, is it also a Cincinnati-style chili? (Skyline/Goldstar/etc.)

Blue Ash Chili is a "Mom & Pop" kinda place. I do think they may have two locations now. I've only ever been to the one that's actually in Blue Ash.

I've had Skyline and did not like it. Don't know about Goldstar. So I'm probably not the best at knowing what Cincinnati style really is.

Blue Ash has several "styles"....3 way, 4 way, 5 way etc... I always get the five way with a mound of cheddar cheese on top. Let's just say I've never gone away hungry.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Chili should NOT be runny, it is NOT soup.
    Chili will NOT contain pasta of any sort.
    Ground meat products do NOT belong in chili, meat should be shredded or pulled. ETA: Ground meat is acceptable in the case that time does not allow for proper preparation.
    Coney sauce is NOT chili.
    Chili should NOT be sweet.

These are just a couple of the basic rules of chili, if they are not adhered to you aren't making/eating chili but rather some sort of bastardized knockoff.

SNIP

Hate to break it to you, but there is no "rule" or exact guideline that constitutes what is or is not chili. It's each persons own interpretation of what makes chili.

Otherwise there would be 100 million pages of ONE chili recipe.

I do agree that chili should not be runny, and should not be coney sauce, but may be used to create a true "chili" dog.

My chili is thick enough to stand a ladle upright in it without falling over.
    I used ground sirloin, I hate shredded or pulled beef and there are plenty of people out there who agree with me on this.
    My chili is a little on the sweet side, BUT it's a mask to the heat that will let you know what it's all about. :D

My chili will include "some" spaghetti, it is the way I prefer it and no one that has ever eaten my chili has complained about it.

Lastly, the people who consider what you adhere to as a "bastardized knockoff" of chili just can't admit that there is a different way to make chili and it actually taste good. Each to there own, but chili is served hot and plenty and made in the way it's creator wanted it to be made, if there is leftovers, then it was not good, if it's all eaten....

Well I guess there should have been more made.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Chili Purists are like Glock Owners.. "There Shall Be Only One!"

:D

I make my chili a different way every time I make it, and it drives my wife crazy, lol.
    My basics though usually include coffee for richness, and two different kinds of meat, ground and cubed(venison if I have any). I do usually use beans, mainly because it is a cheap way to stretch it to feed more people.

Pasta? On the side, not in it. I dont like the pasta in my homemade chili, but my wife does.

An INGO chili cookoff would be a blast, we should seriously consider this!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    My "rules" post was as much an attempt at humor as it was the way WE like our chili. Don't get all butt hurt if you don't make it that way. I'm sure yours is fine too. just not how WE make it;) I can tell who was offended and also which of you are also "chili snobs". Carry on and by all means continue to flame away because if we ever get this cook off organized you'll see! Consider this a challenge.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Hate to break it to you, but there is no "rule" or exact guideline that constitutes what is or is not chili. It's each persons own interpretation of what makes chili.......

Of course there is.

Chili Rule # 1

It’s gotta have chilies. Sometimes people forget that.

Chili Rule # 2
    Go to a Spanish-American grocery store and get some nice dried chilies. You can use the crappiest beef ever, but if you get good chilies from a Mexican bodega, you can turn that beef into some great flavors.

Chili Rule # 3
    When you think there’s enough chili powder, it needs more.

Ultimate Chili Rule # 4
    Don’t be a CHUMP–eat some hot chili. Eating chili that’s not hot is like going to a steakhouse and not getting meat.

Chili Rule # 5
    It has to be a little bit smokey. If it’s not smokey, it’s not really chili.

Chili Rules #6
    Find the right balance by choosing a range of spicy, smoky and sweet chilies; that’s essential to layering flavor.

Chili Rule # 7
    Don’t undercook your beans. You can’t have good chili with raw beans.

Chili Rule # 8
    Dark Beer and Coca-Cola. They act as a sweetener and a thickener.

Chili Rule # 9
    It’s gotta have tequila.

Chili Rule # 10
    Low and slow.

Chili Rule # 11

Cook it 2 days ahead—maybe 3. But definitely let it sit. It gets better the longer it sits, for sure.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Of course he does. That stupid SOB thinks he is an expert on everything!

He is an expert upon some things though.

The numbers

• 16,000,000,000,000+ (National Debt),
    • 7.8 (Unemployment),
    • 4 (Americans sacrificed in Benghazi),
    • ~2,000 (Guns approved for sale under Fast and Furious),
    • X and climbing (Civilian deaths related to above mentioned operation),
    • 500,000,000 (Solyndra).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    He is an expert upon some things though.

The numbers

• 16,000,000,000,000+ (National Debt),
    • 7.8 (Unemployment),
    • 4 (Americans sacrificed in Benghazi),
    • ~2,000 (Guns approved for sale under Fast and Furious),
    • X and climbing (Civilian deaths related to above mentioned operation),
    • 500,000,000 (Solyndra).

OK, I will grant you that he is indeed an expert on manufacturing unmitigated disasters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Growing up in a large family my Mother made what was to known as "Hoosier" style chili. That is based on an old farm recipe that was intended to feed many with little. This is where the pasta and beans came from. Mom had to get 2 full meals for the entire family out of one pot of beans with 1 pound of beef in it. Actually it is very good when consumed with ice cold whole milk and the best saltine crackers you can get.
    My wife makes her own version of this from her family's recipe. She uses good ground beef and plenty of it, the good tomatoes, yes there is pasta of some kind in it depending on what is in the cabinet and some beans. we use peppers just not the hot ones. She has tummy issues and I can not do any hot/spicey food since chemo/radiation as my mouth and throat will not deal with the spices. It isn't bland but the hot chili lovers will not like it.
    We love it and it goes well with a cold winter day, and ice cold glass of milk and a grilled cheese.
    We are trying out a new recipe we just received. It looks wonderful.

Eat it the way you like it.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Chili doesn't have beans in it. Not sure what you and your buddy Obama are making, but it ain't chili. Chili beans with meat, maybe.

So much for you moving on, Beanboy. You're obsessed with beans.

Even these guys moved on.

movinon.jpg

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Don't talk about chili, if you ain't going to make chili. You're welcome to your bean stew with spices. Pro's know what constitutes chili. You and your pal Obama don't have a clue. Shoot, neither of you would even be allowed in a real chili cookoff.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Don't talk about chili, if you ain't going to make chili. You're welcome to your bean stew with spices. Pro's know what constitutes chili. You and your pal Obama don't have a clue. Shoot, neither of you would even be allowed in a real chili cookoff.

I make very good chili already, thank you. Besides, I never advocated beans, one way or another....did I?

You should kiss and make up with your former lover, Barrack. Maybe you will even be able to show him how to make chili without beans.

Top Bottom