• ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    History and Legends of Chili, Chili Con Carne History, Chili History
    1880s - San Antonio was a wide-open town (a cattle town, a railroad town, and an army town) and by day a municipal food market and by night a wild and open place. An authoritative early account is provided in an article published in the July 1927 issue of Frontier Times. In this article, Frank H. Bushick, San Antonio Commissioner of Taxation, reminisces about the Chili Queens and their origin at Military Plaza before they were moved to Market Square in 1887. According to Bushick:
    "The chili stand and chili queens are peculiarities, or unique institutions, of the Alamo City. They started away back there when the Spanish army camped on the plaza. They were started to feed the soldiers. Every class of people in every station of life patronized them in the old days. Some were attracted by the novelty of it, some by the cheapness. A big plate of chili and beans, with a tortilla on the side, cost a dime. A Mexican bootblack and a silk-hatted tourist would line up and eat side by side, [each] unconscious or oblivious of the other."
    (emphasis mine) :D

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Jarrell: The Authoritarian upon Chili Anarchy.

::Trumpets sound. Heads bow. Flatulence abundant.::

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Sorry John. I grew up eating both spahgetti and macaroni in my chili and I lost the taste for it personally. I don't disapprove of those who prefer it though. :D

OkieGirl (being from the southernerwesterner part of the country) says my request is blasphemy & will get no consideration from her..

When I was a kid, my mom tossed in copious amounts of elbow mac to feed me & my 4 siblings.. It's all I know..

;)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    OkieGirl (being from the southernerwesterner part of the country) says my request is blasphemy & will get no consideration from her..

When I was a kid, my mom tossed in copious amounts of elbow mac to feed me & my 4 siblings.. It's all I know..

;)
    You're getting into a gray area there, that sounds like it borders on being goulash....

Some of the older literature I've read speaks of border town goat herders/farmers using frijoles and chilies with nearly no meat...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If the "Chili Queens" were selling chili with beans in the 1880's in San Anotnio, obviously the no beans thing in Texas came later..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

;)

Spaghetti in our house growing up. Without it we would surely have starved.
    Was not a big fan of macaroni in the chili until my wife turned me. Happy wife and all. To each their own taste.
    Enjoy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am bringing this back to the top as we have just cooked up a big pot of chilly using Phylodogs recipe. He was kind enough to share it. Wife put it all together and we are simmering the goods right now. We will let it rest a while and dive in later this evening. It looks, smells and samples up wonderfully.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Missed this thread earlier!

I just put the last of a huge pot in the freezer. My wife whipped it up last weekend, and I've been "eating on it" for a week. Oh, yeah! Good stuff.

I think I'm going to try canning part of the next batch. Though, I think a thick ham-n-beans soup is up next. Maybe I'll can some of it, too.....

Dang! Now I'm hungry again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just had a bowl of Phylodogs chili recipe and have to say it is really good. Everyone's lined up for 2nds so there will be none left to munch on tomorrow.

Thanks Phylo. Good stuff.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just had a bowl of Phylodogs chili recipe and have to say it is really good. Everyone's lined up for 2nds so there will be none left to munch on tomorrow.

Thanks Phylo. Good stuff.

Glad to hear that you liked it. I don't claim it to be spectacular but it's simple to make and tastes perty darned good to me.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    If we don't agree on it then we probably won't adopt it, or you're free to go elsewhere if the vast majority do choose to adopt it. Like the entire southwest does with their chili with no beans. :)

Why would you say chili with no beans if the definition of chili has no beans? :):

I am bringing this back to the top as we have just cooked up a big pot of chilly using Phylodogs recipe. He was kind enough to share it. Wife put it all together and we are simmering the goods right now. We will let it rest a while and dive in later this evening. It looks, smells and samples up wonderfully.

I'm looking now but is it posted in this thread?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    If you're going to do it, do it right. There are rules and the rules don't include pasta or beans.

ICS | International Chili Society

Actually their rules do include beans.

10. People's Choice Chili is governed by the SPONSORING ORGANIZATION and cookoff chairman of each cookoff, NOT THE ICS. The chairman can require (a) 2 gallons maximum in lieu of a cash entry fee; (b) 1 gallon maximum in addition to a cash entry fee or (c) a cash fee. Non-compliance by a contestant of the chairman’s requirement will result in disqualification. Discrimination by cookoff officials will result in non-sanctioning of their event the following year. PEOPLE’S CHOICE CHILI MUST CONTAIN BEANS.

Chili doesn't have beans in it. Not sure what you and your buddy Obama are making, but it ain't chili. Chili beans with meat, maybe.

From the organization you claim is the authority on it. It seems chili can or not have beans.
    :D

Top Bottom