• Status
    Not open for further replies.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    After reading several pages of threads it sure seems like there are a lot of ego maniacs who want to OC just to show off and scare people and hope to get reactions. I even read where one idito thinks you should clear your throat loudly from time to time so people will notice. That is a wrong reason to carry a firearm. I wonder how many here have had formal training with their "intimidator"?
    Sure its legal but come on, you should not carry a gun to try to act like a bad*ss in public.
    And if I were a bad guy? you would be the first person I shot !
    Next one is all the morons who wear "shoot me" vests, and by that point, I would prbly be shot myself by the guy in the room who carried concealed.
    What a bunch of losers ! You give firearm owners a bad rep.
    :rolleyes:
    Yes. We have had folks who have _admitted_ on changing their normal behavior just to see what will happen. We even had one poster who was begging for some police interaction. Of course if anything negative happens, you likely won't find that issue buried in this thread. No, it will get its own thread because of such horror!!!

I find it odd that these folks need to talk about OCing, but hey whatever. The fact is, many would not be happy if they were selling their home and their neighbor decided to OC an AK-47 in front of the home whenever potential buyers showed up. Or they wouldn't like people OCing by carrying the gun _in_ their hand, even though it is a better state of preparedness (gun is already in the hand).

You may as well just not worry about the "all eyes on me" OCers we have here. There is no changing their mind or opinion on the subject.
    :rolleyes:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    You give firearm owners a bad rep.

I feel the same way about people like you. Cowards afraid to stand for their rights. Warped souls so ashamed of carrying guns and standing for what they believe in that they feel firearms should be hidden. People like you are, IMHO, worse than the Brady Bunch. Liars who claim that OC'ers are ego driven maniacs are traitors to the cause, vermin who weaken the Constitution.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I feel the same way about people like you. Cowards afraid to stand for their rights. Warped souls so ashamed of carrying guns and standing for what they believe in that they feel firearms should be hidden. People like you are, IMHO, worse than the Brady Bunch. Liars who claim that OC'ers are ego driven maniacs are traitors to the cause, vermin who weaken the Constitution.

I could careless if people OC or CC, I just don't get the _need_ to report, repeatedly, about doing so. I don't see people constantly reporting on how the government or private business/person didn't do anything when they went to church. I don't read how members here have interaction with their lawyers and how the government didn't stop that.

It was you that said, "Cops could have watched this guy... he strikes me as someone a good cop probably SHOULD watch, and perhaps even strike up a conversation with. But that's not what happened." about a person who was doing nothing wrong. Why do you think that police should watch and/or strike up a conversation with the guy carrying the AK in the park?

You gave me negative rep for "I have grown weary of seeing you slam Constitutional rights, attack gun owners, and advocate police abuse of power. Thugs like you are the exact reason the second amendent is a necesity, not that your kind respects it or the Constitution itself." Yet you yourself, in another thread, advocated police involvement with an OCer. So what gives? Where do you draw the line? If it is a handgun in a holster, police should do nothing, but if it is someone with an AK-47, police should start surveillance of the person, and even go as far as engaging that person? Also, please post where I "advocate police abuse of power?"

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Some of you guys are insulting people who OC because YOU made assumptions about this thread and these people based on your ignorance of the point of this thread?!?

FYI: The point of this thread is to show people who want to OC but are afraid they'll get into trouble that it's okay to OC and that they do so at all the same stores everyone else shops at and no international incident takes place.

I don't even OC, but at least I comprehend the point of this thread...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I could careless if people OC or CC, I just don't get the _need_ to report, repeatedly, about doing so. I don't see people constantly reporting on how the government or private business/person didn't do anything when they went to church. I don't read how members here have interaction with their lawyers and how the government didn't stop that.

It was you that said, "Cops could have watched this guy... he strikes me as someone a good cop probably SHOULD watch, and perhaps even strike up a conversation with. But that's not what happened." about a person who was doing nothing wrong. Why do you think that police should watch and/or strike up a conversation with the guy carrying the AK in the park?

You gave me negative rep for "I have grown weary of seeing you slam Constitutional rights, attack gun owners, and advocate police abuse of power. Thugs like you are the exact reason the second amendent is a necesity, not that your kind respects it or the Constitution itself." Yet you yourself, in another thread, advocated police involvement with an OCer. So what gives? Where do you draw the line? If it is a handgun in a holster, police should do nothing, but if it is someone with an AK-47, police should start surveillance of the person, and even go as far as engaging that person? Also, please post where I "advocate police abuse of power?"

If you are unable to draw the line between doing your job and making contact with suspicious people without detaining them, or abusing their rights, if you are unable to exercise any discretion in your job, if you really feel that simply carrying a firearm is reasonable, legal grounds for a Terry stop in the face of repeated federal court rulings for the contrary, it is time for you to turn in your badge.

Further, your twisting of what I said in that thread makes me wonder if you resort to playing fast and loose with truth in court. You didn't quite lie, but you certainly aren't being honest, either. In the thread you reference, a man was walking around carrying a rather large pistol in his hand and making a scene, but was still in compliance with the law. Police held him for two hours, stole his property, deprived him of his freedom, all actions you backed. I said perhaps the police should have talked with him. That does NOT constitute the illegal actions you backed there and in other threads. Police can make contact with anyone they wish, and so long as the citizen (not subject, contrary to what some of you seem to think) is free to walk away no rights have been violated. When they are held against the will and their property taken, those rights have been violated. Police officers who cannot see the difference, and/or who are so incompetent as to be unable to make contact with citizens acting in an unusual fashion without violating their rights are unfit for their job, or any position where they exercise power over their fellow citizens. It's a hard job, it's a job that requires a great deal of respect for the power those who hold it wield, and it's a job that requires those who hold it to respect the rights of citizens to keep watch on them because of that power. Not everyone is fit for the job.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    If you are unable to draw the line between doing your job and making contact with suspicious people without detaining them, or abusing their rights, if you are unable to exercise any discretion in your job, if you really feel that simply carrying a firearm is reasonable, legal grounds for a Terry stop in the face of repeated federal court rulings for the contrary, it is time for you to turn in your badge.

If? You said I advocated this, all I asked for was some proof, via quotes, I have made where it was clear that I was advocating this.

Further, your twisting of what I said in that thread makes me wonder if you resort to playing fast and loose with truth in court. You didn't quite lie, but you certainly aren't being honest, either. In the thread you reference, a man was walking around carrying a rather large pistol in his hand and making a scene, but was still in compliance with the law.

What I read, in the source I had, was that he did nothing but shift the AK from the back to the front. Nothing about holding it. Even if he was carrying around a rather large pistol in his hand and "making a scene," as you admit, he was doing nothing wrong. Yet even you posted the cops should watch him, and maybe even engage him in conversation. I guess my only question is: Do you feel the cops should be taking this same course of action for someone OCing a Glock in a holster? Please note I am not saying lawfully detain such a person, only watching them and/or engaging them in conversation.

Police held him for two hours, stole his property, deprived him of his freedom, all actions you backed.

Please show me my quotes where it clearly shows that _I_ backed the following:
    Holding him for two hours.
    Stealing his property.
    Depriving him of his freedom.

I am waiting.

For the record, it was totally wrong to hold him for two hours. The only arguments, not my opinions, I was making were if there is reasonable suspicion to stop such a person, and what is reasonable if such stops were allowed. If we are only talking about OCing a gun, then I am of the opinion that if it is allowable to stop someone to check their license/permit status, then if the cops still have questions about the type of firearm being held, they should snap some photos, get the person's name, and release them. They can investigate and if it turns out the weapon being carried wasn't covered by the license and/or permit, they can always summons the person into court or issue a warrant for an arrest. I personally believe in minimal intrusion into the lives of others by the police.

I said perhaps the police should have talked with him.

Well, folks can't have it both ways. My only thing is that if you agree with police involvement in this case, you have to agree with it in any OC case. Note: Not talking detainment here, only officers watching and/or going up and speaking with such folks. Again, there are some die-hard OCers who think the police watching someone who has a Glock 22 strapped on their hip is harassment.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Your man of straw, he is showing.

Did I say anything that is false? There are OCers who believe that if an officer decided to do some surveillance of them, that would be wrong. Maybe not a violation of their rights, but not what LEOs should be doing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I carried into the shell across from the coliseum
    Walmart on coldwater.
    I de-holstered when I went into IPFW bookstore, but I still kept my snubbie in my iwb holster with shirt over it.
    I do not see no firearms signs anywhere on IPFW I plan on to conceal my revolver as long as I go there because I do not want to become a victim of some loon that lost one to many marbles.

I then went to Halls drive-in, the waitress saw my 45 on my hip and just smiled and apologized for taking to long to get to my car.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Did I say anything that is false? There are OCers who believe that if an officer decided to do some surveillance of them, that would be wrong. Maybe not a violation of their rights, but not what LEOs should be doing.
    You are putting words into the voice of those who oppose your position in order to argue against it. Hence, "strawman."

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    FYI: The point of this thread is to show people who want to OC but are afraid they'll get into trouble that it's okay to OC and that they do so at all the same stores everyone else shops at and no international incident takes place.

This is exactly why I read this thread.

The only arguments, not my opinions, I was making

This website is for everyone to discuss the 2nd Amendment and offer their experiences and OPINIONS. I wouldn't get upset with someone for not understanding that your argument wasn't your opinion. I'm here to offer my arguments/opinions to stand up for what I believe in.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    After reading several pages of threads it sure seems like there are a lot of ego maniacs who want to OC just to show off and scare people and hope to get reactions. I even read where one idito thinks you should clear your throat loudly from time to time so people will notice. That is a wrong reason to carry a firearm. I wonder how many here have had formal training with their "intimidator"?
    Sure its legal but come on, you should not carry a gun to try to act like a bad*ss in public.
    And if I were a bad guy? you would be the first person I shot !
    Next one is all the morons who wear "shoot me" vests, and by that point, I would prbly be shot myself by the guy in the room who carried concealed.
    What a bunch of losers ! You give firearm owners a bad rep.

What an arrogant ***.
    This is a response I already gave to Indy317 in another thread.

Originally Posted by Indy317
    To me, anyone who constantly comes in and posts about _nothing_ happening while they OCed fit the bill of those wanting shock value and/or attention. If you want to OC, fine, but why come and post that _nothing happened_??? Talk about folks with an "all eyes on me" complex. :rolleyes:

Your assumption is comical.
    The reason most post their non-events is to show a pattern to those who may be considering OC but may be hesitant.
    Each post of non-event shows prospective OCers that they won't be subjected to screaming fleeing masses, won't be thrown to the ground by the cops, and won't be asked to leave every establishment they walk into.
    We are not looking for attention, in fact the opposite is true. We want guns worn by citizens to be seen as commonplace as people with cell phones.
    Keep making assumptions because you know what that makes you.

Seems more people need to see it as well. Keep up with your hating. You are not even worth the effort for me to negative rep you.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    This website is for everyone to discuss the 2nd Amendment and offer their experiences and OPINIONS. I wouldn't get upset with someone for not understanding that your argument wasn't your opinion. I'm here to offer my arguments/opinions to stand up for what I believe in.

I agree and disagree. While this website is for opinions, one shouldn't post "You have stated you agree/support/want..." unless the proper terms are used by the accused. When I type "The courts have ruled ....." it is pretty clear this isn't my opinion. I like to kick around discussion, but it really gets on my nerves when people put words in my mouth. I have done it in the past and was wrong to do it, and I am usually very careful of what I type/say.

I have also noticed that many here are quick to paint someone a certain way because they might have differently held beliefs than others. I am sure some OCers hate me because I find threads like this silly. That doesn't mean I am anti-OC or anti-gun or anti-freedom. It also blows me away that some pro-OCers don't think it is appropriate to OC by carrying your weapon in your hand. The thing is, we all have various beliefs, and we should lump those who disagree with us on one small part of the entire gun rights issue into the same category at gun banners/grabbers.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Alas, I have not carried openly for over a week except at home.

On a related note, I have a certificate I won at a match last year for some Safariland gear. I've been thinking about what I want to get with it, and I'm probably going to get one of their holsters with the rotating hoods for retention, plus whatever hardware I need to attach it to a 1.5-inch instructor's belt. It will be excellent for open carry as well as potential emergencies when a little extra retention/security would be prudent.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

All I'm going to say. :D

Yes. We have had folks who have _admitted_ on changing their normal behavior just to see what will happen. We even had one poster who was begging for some police interaction. Of course if anything negative happens, you likely won't find that issue buried in this thread. No, it will get its own thread because of such horror!!!

I find it odd that these folks need to talk about OCing, but hey whatever. The fact is, many would not be happy if they were selling their home and their neighbor decided to OC an AK-47 in front of the home whenever potential buyers showed up. Or they wouldn't like people OCing by carrying the gun _in_ their hand, even though it is a better state of preparedness (gun is already in the hand).

You may as well just not worry about the "all eyes on me" OCers we have here. There is no changing their mind or opinion on the subject.

Yes there are some who OC just to get attention and have the "All eyes on me mentality" But I'd say that it is a small percentage. Just like JBTs are a small percentage of LEOs. Which small percentage do you think bothers me more? :D

The reason most of the people post here is to show that usually absolutely nothing happens when you OC, you won't get any attention because of it, let alone "all eyes on me" it's amazing(and scary) that so many people are so unobservant that they won't even notice. But a lot of people think that if you OC it's either illegal or you'll have people pointing/running screaming/get harrassed by LEOs everytime you step out your door.

And yes when something bad happens it will probably get its own thread, because it is the exception not the norm. Which is what this thread is about.

But to get back on topic, nowhere recently it's cold and the jacket covers it pretty well.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Enjoy your right to OC in Indiana. I moved to Florida this year and you cant open carry here. You can CC with a permit. With all the different types of nuts and morons down here, I wish I could OC. All the bums and beggars down here wouldnt bother me if I could OC. Big culture shock down here compared to Indiana. Its like a third world country here in South Florida. I would like to carry an AR actually.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I OC to my apartment complexes washing machines...................across the hallway from my apartment........

I was really just trying to scare the dirty socks to get clean and the washing machine to give me a free wash.... :n00b:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom