• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, someone freaked out while I was carrying openly today. Clearly . . . CLEARLY I'm deficient emotionally and mentally (and we all know I'm fat, which is also an indication of the tendency to open carry).

After the steel match at RileyCC, I went a few places in Terre Haute. As usual, zero problems in Ruby Tuesday. In fact, we got a female server instead of a dude for the first time since . . . since . . . since a long time. And she was pleasant, fun, and an excellent server in addition to being easy on the eyes.

But I digress.

The problem arose when I went into Thornton's on 3rd street right by the I-70 exit/entrance. I walked in there to get a soda refill since they're currently selling all sizes for 89 cents. I had two firearms clearly visible as usual.

When I approached the counter, the woman behind the cash register freaked out!

Because of my 100 oz. Mega CHILL.

I think the sheer size of it scared her, plus she had no idea how to enter the refill of a 100 oz. beverage into the cash register since there was no dedicated button for it.

As she was panicking, I suggested that since the sign outside read 89 cents for "any size" fountain drink, that she should charge me 89 cents plus tax. That made sense to her, so I gave her a dollar and she sent a nickel to me in the little change dropper thing.

But I was carrying openly when it happened, so that means I was also retarded and lacking in significant manly attributes, not to mention I would have been the first person shot in the event of a robbery attempt.

On the bright side, I don't know of many handgun projectiles that could penetrate my 100 oz. Mega CHILL and still have enough oomph to hurt anyone. And three people could hide behind it effectively, maybe four if they're small, whether they're carrying openly or not. Perhaps there exists a tactical advantage in lumbering around with a keg of soft drink in your hand (which is no insignificant feat, as BigCraig noted, that with my tiny hands, it should be physically impossible for me to hold such an object).

So the lesson is this: when you're carrying openly, you have to expect people to panic . . . if you present them with a freakin' ginormous beverage container with the intent of purchasing the soda refill contained within.

Well, you should expect the exact same thing even if you're not carrying openly, but at least then you won't be as obviously retarded and fewer people will assume you have a tiny peepee.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I have but one question:

Where can I get a 100 oz. Mega CHILL??? :dunno:

I crave more attention but Open Carry just doesn't cause the sort of panic I'm looking for. This could be my ticket. :yesway:

That's a lot of soda though. Likely give my tiny peepee a serious workout.

(I'll bet that's part of the reason Rhino likes it.) :laugh:

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    In New Haven, twice today. First at the Marathon located at the corner of 930 and Minnich, second, at McDonald's (wish they had a Mega Chill). This brings my grand total to 4 OC outings with no response at all. The first time was at the Doc Rickers on the corner of 930 and Green (another corner of 930, I see a pattern here :)), and the other was at Rich's Cafe in downtown New Haven. So, all in all, I'd say so far so good in New Haven.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    In the McDonald's in Chesterton, and Cabella's in Hammond. Both were positive experiences, I didn't get so much as a second glance and thats the way I prefer it.

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    I open carry on a daily basis on my own property....

I open carried today in a flat-bottom boat on a public lake, while bass fishing, and a IDNR officer, whom I speak to many times during the fishing season, caught up with me and the ball-n-chain, er, the wife, checked our permits for fishing, and said nada about the G-19 on my belt....he also open carries a firearm, G-17, he sees me do it often and has NEVER said a thing about it....

He is a good guy, name is Eric, North-east Indiana officer, he knows I will not be a threat, and treats us with respect and we do the same to him....

When in town, or simply getting gasoline, or wandering Indiana , I cover, but not so much as to hide it as to not frighten the sheep....

I do, however wish that we all could carry to our comfort levels without needing to be concerned so much about what others think about it, it ought to be a non-issue, if done in a legal, and safe manner.

I don't carry to please anyone except me, and no, I am not the type to carry just to act like a copy of a cop, or because my stick is too small, nor to pretend to be anything I am not, I carry because IT IS MY RIGHT UNDER THE CONSTITUTION of these UNITED STATES of AMERICA....

I am out, roger, wilco, and bye-bye...;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    In New Haven, twice today. First at the Marathon located at the corner of 930 and Minnich, second, at McDonald's (wish they had a Mega Chill). This brings my grand total to 4 OC outings with no response at all. The first time was at the Doc Rickers on the corner of 930 and Green (another corner of 930, I see a pattern here :)), and the other was at Rich's Cafe in downtown New Haven. So, all in all, I'd say so far so good in New Haven.
    NH is great for OC. Never had a problem with LEOs or anyone else while there.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Super Pantry on 350 South in Lafayette. Say the word and I'll get one for you.

I have but one question:

Where can I get a 100 oz. Mega CHILL??? :dunno:

I crave more attention but Open Carry just doesn't cause the sort of panic I'm looking for. This could be my ticket. :yesway:

That's a lot of soda though. Likely give my tiny peepee a serious workout.

(I'll bet that's part of the reason Rhino likes it.) :laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh, and for the less erudite individuals who may be reading this with the intent of ridiculing our "need" to discuss our open carry experiences, one of the primary reasons for this topic (in my opinion) is to provide a large body of anecdotal evidence that clearly refutes the bogus assertion that the act of carrying a visible handgun in a holster will always cause some kind of problem such as making mothers panic and flee with their children or people automatically calling the police.

If you actually (can) read this topic and others, the ratio of negative reactions to the combination of positive + no reaction at all is very small. In certain professions, this is what's known as a "clue."

Now you have one.

This public service announcement brought to you courtesy of one of the many retarded and inadequate attention cravers who will be shot first during a robbery attempt (every time, from what I've heard).

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Let's see I OC'd to the PX, Green Beans, Gym, DFAC, and Finance. Not even a peep out of anyone...

On a side note did you know that in the USAF it is perfectly fine to OC, but if you need to CC you must have a permit to do that in an Active Combat Zone...
    Did you OC both an M-9 & an M-4 ????

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oh, and for the less erudite individuals who may be reading this with the intent of ridiculing our "need" to discuss our open carry experiences, one of the primary reasons for this topic (in my opinion) is to provide a large body of anecdotal evidence that clearly refutes the bogus assertion that the act of carrying a visible handgun in a holster will always cause some kind of problem such as making mothers panic and flee with their children or people automatically calling the police.

If you actually (can) read this topic and others, the ratio of negative reactions to the combination of positive + no reaction at all is very small. In certain professions, this is what's known as a "clue."

Now you have one.

This public service announcement brought to you courtesy of one of the many retarded and inadequate attention cravers who will be shot first during a robbery attempt (every time, from what I've heard).

Back when I became a new gun owner, I had every intention of OC'ing. But, at first, and like many people... it can make you nervous. Reading this thread helped me feel like there are "others" out there all around me, and that I should feel comfortable doing it...

Now... having OC'd for over a year or so nearly everywhere I go, I've gotten absolutely zero negative response from anyone. Mostly, it's brought up very positive discussion, and I've made a few new friends from it.

So, yeah, Rhino's got it right.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Even the blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn!

Today's open carry was pretty much everywhere I went on the way home from South Central. I can remember Blockbuster and the big Kroger in Crawfordsville.

In the Kroger store, the inevitable happened! I was approached by one of the assistant managers! . . . she wanted to ask me what classes I taught at school.

And that's when the panic ensued . . .

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I OC'd outside the trailer today, when the neighborhood kids were getting the water balloons Cathy had filled up for them. There was a lot of screaming and running involved, mostly from Cathy. But that was mostly because I held one balloon back from the brats and ambushed her with it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino, whats your liquid of choice for that Mega Chill?

I tell my students it's Espresso before noon, then it's vodka with one ice cube in the afternoon. Methinks my days would go better if I really did that, at least for a while.

My current recipe is:
    • One 2L bottle of Diet Mtn Dew or generic equivalent
    • Ice to fill the remaining liter of space inside of the mug
    It's the kind of thing you pretty have to carry openly. Even my pockets aren't big enough for it, although I might get an IWB holster for it. Maybe Raven Tactical can make one for me!

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I OCed and CCed at Marsh in Speedway 10 minutes ago, security was on the phone and just glanced at me.

Diet Dew is my beverage of choice also

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom