• Status
    Not open for further replies.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Applebee's in Schererville. First time OC there and no problems. I'm a regular so that may have helped.

Meijer grocery store in Highland. No problem as usual there.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Well, perhaps you just happen to reside in a town with a department that highly frowns upon OC'ing...
    Because I'll be honest... It doesn't have to matter how old you are but rather how you carry yourself.
    I'll be 25 in September and I've carried for quite a while now, every day, every where, and I've never had a bad conversation. Ever.

Also, Don't take that the wrong way as far as knowing how to carry yourself... I just mean that in the most literal way possible.
    You know two types of professional careers that require a high level of situational awareness and alert?
    1) Law Enforcement
    2) Criminals

Funny how that works, right? Not saying that you carry yourself as a criminal, but I know my first time OC'ing (until I got comfortable),
    I spent more time looking around at other people around me in public to see if anybody noticed my gun; when it fact, just made me look suspicious with wandering eyes.

I'm not sure how long you've been carrying... but take your feedback with a grain of salt if it hasn't been very long.
    The more you do it, the more comfortable you get, the more common it becomes, the more it's accepted. That's an OC'ers goal. :rockwoot:

Rep'd for OC'ing, by the way!

Taken with a grain of salt :). I get where your coming from but I have to say I don't believe its due to how I've been carrying myself, I feel very comfortable with my weapon and all my weapons, in fact when I got out of active army into reserves it felt weird not having my weapon glued to me. I honestly believe its due to my age, Hell I look young. I think a lot of it has to do with people stereotyping younger people as careless and ignorant. Also to add I've only been open carrying for about 4 months now, bit I've been CC for about 3 years.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Applebee's in Schererville. First time OC there and no problems. I'm a regular so that may have helped.

Meijer grocery store in Highland. No problem as usual there.

I have also OC'd at the Meijer in Highland, as well as Kohl's across the street, and the Home Depot down the street in Schererville on 41. Nary a word from anyone so far. Had one glaring stare from some lady at the garden center at the Home Depot. Just ignored her and continued about my business.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Was out for a bicycle ride Sunday morning with my wife. Came to a stop sign in Munster where one of Munster's finest arrived at the intersection same time as my wife and I. We made eye contact and I waited for him to wave us through. I rode right past the front of his vehicle on my bicycle with my holster side facing him, so he had to see it, no way he did not. He treated me no differently than any other person out enjoying the nice weather - i.e. he said nothing, just continued on his patrol. I have had several close observations now in Munster, and not one word from an officer yet. I've always thought we've had a high caliber PD in my town, and ever since I've started to OC, my positive opinion of the Munster Police has been reinforced.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Went through Kohl's, Dicks Sporting Goods, and a Verizon Wireless store. Got one glance, and one long glance at my GLOCK, and one guy just asked "What are you carrying?" and we talked guns for a few minutes. It was incredible. A breath of fresh air. I felt empowered. First OC experience.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    OC'd to the Monroe County Library to get a library card and check out some books. Fun fact, reading about raising a German Shepherd makes it infinitely harder to justify not owning one. I also stopped by target for a couple groceries. Nothing out of the ordinary at either location.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Just walked out of the Wal-mart in Greenwood...
    A friend and I were wasting some time after a late dinner.
    A guy walked up to the end of the isle I was in and said, "You're a supporter of Open Carry?"
    I hesitated because I was caught off guard but said, "Oh yeah, absolutely."
    He just said "Thats good. Thats really good!" (or something close to that).

Woulda carried a conversation but was walking in the opposite direction.
    If you're on here.... +1 and free rep! If not... Good spotting on a fellow OC'er. :rockwoot:

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Past two days - Walmart, Menards, two Ace Hardwares, small local restaurant, pet store, Big R, gun store and the gas station.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Started a new job this week. Went to Starbucks in Columbus this morning and ran into one of my co-workers there, didn't say anything, just nodded. He's the vegetarian of the group, I know that much.

When I got to work, he mentioned he was taken aback by the sidearm.... so now the 10 people in my group all ask questions and wonder what he's talking about.

Hah. After that, he made a couple subtle "murder" references.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Started a new job this week. Went to Starbucks in Columbus this morning and ran into one of my co-workers there, didn't say anything, just nodded. He's the vegetarian of the group, I know that much.

When I got to work, he mentioned he was taken aback by the sidearm.... so now the 10 people in my group all ask questions and wonder what he's talking about.

He probably wet himself when he saw it. :)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Never trust a vegetarian... :laugh:

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    FIRST TIME LEGIT OC!

Helped my sister in law move into a new apt. Wanted the neighbors to know she has armed friends and not to mess with her.
    Then I left it on and went to shoot some camera and lighting tests for a friend's film.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No where yet today. But over the past week or so, Walmart a couple of times, Rural King a couple of times, Kroger, a couple of gas stations, Riverside restaurant for fathers day, fishing, working in the garden, Dye lumber, Ace hardware all in Monticello.

And I can't say enough about Dye Lumber, they loaned my son a post hole digger for the weekend at no charge for his eagle scout project.

Only one comment and that was at Walmart. I was squatting down checking the price on something when two employees came walking past, and the one accidentally bumped my shoulder lightly. He apologized and they continued walking, they got about 10 ft past and the one said to the other "you better be careful, he's got a gun" In a joking voice and loud enough that he intended for me to hear it.

My wife just looks at them and says "don't worry, just hit him again, that's what I do" :abused: and reached over and gave me a light smack. Everybody laughed and we went on our way. I didn't take his comment to be anti-gun, just a joke. I live in a rural city and while open carry is not common, guns are.

Well there was one other comment. I was at Rural king with my wife, daughter and the neighbors son (my daughters friend) who is 7. As we were walking up to the register he noticed my pistol, and asked what's that? I told him it was my gun, and he says very loudly "That's a gun???!!!" About 10 people turned their heads and looked and then went back to what they were doing. Then my daughter told him "yes and don't touch it without asking":rockwoot:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heh, no issues. So it looks like the PNC was across the street from the actual "Commons" area. I had to park a couple blocks away, and walked to the bank. Tons of people out eating lunch on the sidewalk tables, etc... no issues. Bank didn't have a sign or anything, either. Made a large withdraw, and was on my way. I need to get a burlap sack with a dollar sign on it one day...

Also, sheriff behind me at Starbucks. He was in a dress shirt, tie, etc... with an IWB holster on his back at 5:00.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I've OC'd at the Commons regularly, and while walking around downtown.

I make sure to keep an eye out for any 5 year old girls trying to disarm me when near the playground in the Commons.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom