• Status
    Not open for further replies.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Hammerhead, you won't get any hassle at that DSG. I felt the same way the first time I went in. The next time was supposed to be for a quick return so I didn't cover it and I walked around for about 45 minutes without a word said. Since it is not connected to the mall they usually don't bother with DSG.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    To the barber, then Lowe's in Franklin, and the Starbucks next to Lowe's. Oh, and the backyard trying to keep my flowers and tomatoes hydrated.

We. Need. Rain.

EzShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Fortville, IN
    OCed for the first time today. went to dicks sporting goods, then around the yard watering and mowing the grass didnt have any issues but a cop drove by 4 times and i saw him stop and talk to 2 different people. kinda made me nervous

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    yesterday...southside Old Navy, TJ Max, DSW, Kohls, Speedway Ireland/Ironwood. As with every day, no MWAG screams by any of the little old ladys....just lots of polite smiles and head nods. My M&P never jumped out of it's serpa home, nor shot me in the leg.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Not second guessing you, just curious I guess. I thought it was funny. Sort of the exact OPPOSITE of people down here. I have seen several guys flip their shirt up over their gun when walking into Gander or another gun store/range but cover it up again when they head outside.

Funny, but true. I know Gander Mtn gets some harsh feedback sometimes but for sake of supporting Open Carry, I have NO PROBLEM giving them some business here and there. I assume everyone has seen the sign in the store when you walk into a GM?

And although Greenwood DSG is connected to and accessible through and to the mall, I don't think Simon bothers with it.
    I OC every time I'm in that DSG and have never had any issues. Only a few compliments. :rockwoot:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    OCed for the first time today. went to dicks sporting goods, then around the yard watering and mowing the grass didnt have any issues but a cop drove by 4 times and i saw him stop and talk to 2 different people. kinda made me nervous

Think about it; You have no reason to be nervous.
    Were you committing a crime? Were you doing something illegal? If not? Carry on. :rockwoot: Rep'd for first OC post!

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Walked to McDonalds and Menards today. Open Carry the entire way. The world did not end. Hoplophobes either couldn't stand the heat or those particular Hammond LEOs had the day off.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I wish I were fortunate enough to have experiences like this. I am very often harassed about OCing, by leos, business owners, and ignorant citizens. I've come to the conclusion that this is due to me being 21yrs old. I don't look like a hood rat, I'm a responsible adult with a family(wife and son). I do not dress in a way that makes me look shady. I do not act shady. I do not handle any of my weapons irresponsibly. I often OC my fnx .40. Hell just OCd the other day and had a leo try to tell me (with great attitude) it was illegal when I was at a red box kiosk with my wife and holding my 11 month old son looking for a movie. After I told him to cite the bill or have the owner of the property that the kiosk was being rented to come tell me to leave he changed his tune, to "well its just frowned upon here so cover it up" I told him where I come from its frowned upon to try and take someone's constitutional right and treat them like a criminal when they are in fact a law abiding citizen who is in the army reserves as well as working security for a steel mill and is very trained in the use and care of firearms. He had the nerve to say and where's that? I said America and took my family to another redbox location. I may be young but I am not stupid and will protect my family and rights to the death. Sorry for the rant. Also I'm a new ingo member and so far I like it :) also this all happens in NWI the recent one at the redbox was in portage

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I wish I were fortunate enough to have experiences like this. I am very often harassed about OCing, by leos, business owners, and ignorant citizens. I've come to the conclusion that this is due to me being 21yrs old. I don't look like a hood rat, I'm a responsible adult with a family(wife and son). I do not dress in a way that makes me look shady. I do not act shady. I do not handle any of my weapons irresponsibly. I often OC my fnx .40. Hell just OCd the other day and had a leo try to tell me (with great attitude) it was illegal when I was at a red box kiosk with my wife and holding my 11 month old son looking for a movie. After I told him to cite the bill or have the owner of the property that the kiosk was being rented to come tell me to leave he changed his tune, to "well its just frowned upon here so cover it up" I told him where I come from its frowned upon to try and take someone's constitutional right and treat them like a criminal when they are in fact a law abiding citizen who is in the army reserves as well as working security for a steel mill and is very trained in the use and care of firearms. He had the nerve to say and where's that? I said America and took my family to another redbox location. I may be young but I am not stupid and will protect my family and rights to the death. Sorry for the rant. Also I'm a new ingo member and so far I like it :) also this all happens in NWI the recent one at the redbox was in portage

I had similar happen at a redbox outside a Walgreens in Hammond several years ago. That Hammond LEO was a jerk as well. The previous incident with a Hammond LEO was fine, we parted with him admitting I was probably right about the law because I presented my side well. He asked me to cover up and said they would develop procedures. I did, that time, but apparently news about OC being legal didnt get to the jackass I dealt with the next time. Oh well, I carry a digital recorder and it's always on now when i OC.

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    Dunkin Donuts in Camby, Rickers BP in Avon, Rick's Boatyard on Eagle Creek Reservoir. No gawking, no questions, no 5 year old girls disarming me, it's like my M&P 45c in its Blackhawk Serpa holster is invisible.

Last edited:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN

Well, perhaps you just happen to reside in a town with a department that highly frowns upon OC'ing...
    Because I'll be honest... It doesn't have to matter how old you are but rather how you carry yourself.
    I'll be 25 in September and I've carried for quite a while now, every day, every where, and I've never had a bad conversation. Ever.

Also, Don't take that the wrong way as far as knowing how to carry yourself... I just mean that in the most literal way possible.
    You know two types of professional careers that require a high level of situational awareness and alert?
    1) Law Enforcement
    2) Criminals

Funny how that works, right? Not saying that you carry yourself as a criminal, but I know my first time OC'ing (until I got comfortable),
    I spent more time looking around at other people around me in public to see if anybody noticed my gun; when it fact, just made me look suspicious with wandering eyes.

I'm not sure how long you've been carrying... but take your feedback with a grain of salt if it hasn't been very long.
    The more you do it, the more comfortable you get, the more common it becomes, the more it's accepted. That's an OC'ers goal. :rockwoot:

Rep'd for OC'ing, by the way!

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI

Well done and welcome to INGO!

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    That's the kind ...

... of ladies I'd like to see more of in MY neighborhood!! Today I carried my Taurus Tracker, 4" x 3", in an OWB in Blackhawk CQC. Levis, w shirt tucked in. Visited Marsh pharmacy, Meijer groc., Speedway gas, and WallyWorld. The only comment was while at Wally, two cowboy-boot guys, about 25 or so, ogled the weapon while passing me in the aisle, and one said, "Wow, what WAS that?" To which other guy replies, "Looked like a Smith, large-frame, to me." Well, it sorta does.
    OC in Wally World on Emerson and I-465. Was really busy in there. Stopped at Speedway on Southeastern and Arlington. Did a walk around the neighborhood with my daughter. Community garage sale this weekend.

Only comment was at one of the garage sales. A lady asked if my firearm was my automatic I win price negotiator. :D

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    There are some people whom you WANT to know.

Not to disparage anyone at all...
    Well, It doesn't have to matter how old you are but rather how you carry yourself. I'll be 25 in September and I've carried for quite a while now.... Don't take that the wrong way as far as knowing how to carry yourself... I just mean that in the most literal way possible. Not saying that you carry yourself as a criminal, but I know my first time OC'ing (until I got comfortable), I spent more time looking around at other people around me in public to see if anybody noticed my gun; when it fact, just made me look suspicious with wandering eyes. The more you do it, the more comfortable you get, the more common it becomes, the more it's accepted. That's an OC'ers goal. :rockwoot: Rep'd for OC'ing, by the way!
    <heavily edited, but mostly all good: But on the topic of "situational awareness" and body language, I never touched a gun until I was sent to Viet Nam. And when I got back, my whole attitude had to change again. Everyone was NOT enemy, back here. I still back up against a wall and watch for everything within 5 K and for 180 degrees. You never get over that. But I carry because it's my right, not because I was in the military. It all has to blend socially. I'm responsible FOR me, and responsible TO you....end rant>

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I OC'd while I was headed down to the property to shoot. It is south of Fair Oaks Dairy and I live in the roselawn area. I OC'd at the Marathong to get some gatorade and the True Value. No looks at the hardware store but I did have one guy look dissaprovingly at me while in line at the gas station, and than two older gentlemen nodded their acceptance. One of them even walked over before I got in the truck and commented on me carrying an M&P.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom