• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Me too on that. With the thumb safety off all you have is the grip safety. It seems awful easy to have a ND.
    Just like a glock. Oh but please lets not go there.
    I carry a 1911 with a spare mag 15 rounds, I also carry a p3at with a spare mag 13 rounds. Then if I'm in my car I also have a xd40 with a spare mag 25 rounds and my trunk rifle with a 5 mags 146 rounds.
    Grand total when cruising around:199 rounds. Guess I'm gonna have to throw a loose round in my pocket just to make it an even 200.
    Short answer, yes I always carry an extra mag for whatever I'm carrying.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I carry 2 extra mags pretty much all the time. I saw something once that made a lot of sense to me. One mag for a reload, one for a malfunction. I don't care if my gun holds 15 or 6, Ill have 2 extra with me

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I currently don't carry extra mags on my person as my edc is 16+1. If I miss three out of four shots, statistically that means I can still hit four attackers at least once (or one attacker 4 times).

When I switch to a smaller, saner carry gun early next year, I'll probably carry an extra mag. As far as my current backup plan, I am fairly well trained in hand-to-hand and melee combat if necessary ( I carry a decent EDC knife in the SOG Trident, and am an assistant coach for a mixed martial arts fight team). The most important martial art I know, however, is sprinting. I plan on running like a gazelle (but looking like a warthog), and throwing any hard or pointy object within arms reach at my assailant.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1. No one can accurately predict how many rounds will be required to solve any specific problem. Good marksmanship is usually necessary, but it is not always sufficient.
    2. The most likely malfunctions of modern, reliable pistols will involve the magazine. This includes inadvertently pressing the magazine release causing the mag to drop too low to feed a round or to drop from the gun completely. No believes it can happen to them until it does.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Do you carry extra mags?
    What if your in an a situation and you drop a mag in the mud or you've shot your magazine empty? Then what are you gonna do?
    :dunno:

Yes. Almost always. You don't know what might happen. The mag could fail. You could accidentally press the mag release in a moment of stress. I saw a video of a store clerk who did just that. (which is why I prefer the HK style mag release). And, UNCLE TED SAYS TO DO IT! :rockwoot:

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Seriously to anyone who carries a semi-auto the magazine is the most common cause of failure. Always has, probably always will be (at least if you have a quality well made gun to begin with)

So its always good to have an extra. Hell it certainly cant hurt.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As others have said... For failure or added ammo, yes I carry at least one extra about 80% of the time. On other rare occasions I may have a BUG in the pocket instead.

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I always have a extra mag alot of people say if you can't handle a situation with one magazine then your in trouble. I agree but I think about malfunctions (you have to get that magazine out and replace with extra no time to mess with magazine thats in the gun(Yea i know the odds of a "gunfight" lasting 20rds is rare but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    On me:
    Primary EDC Pistol, 10+1 in the pipe plus 1 spare 17 round mag
    EDC BUG, 6+1 in the pipe plus 1 spare 6 round mag

In vehicle:
    2 loaded 17 round mags for EDC Pistol in paddle holster

ON/IN EDC Bag
    2 loaded 17 round mags for EDC Pistol in paddle holster
    50 rounds of FMJ for EDC Pistol
    20 rounds of HP for EDC Pistol
    20 rounds of HP for BUG

Total rounds: 199

Zombie Prepared as well..

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I hate carrying stuff around and don't anymore than I have to. Data says that most defensive shooting situations are over with 2 - 3 rounds fired. I don't expect to be in a prolonged fire fight. If I can't do it in 2 or 3 rounds, I'm likely on my way to ER or the morgue. No extra mags here.

Top Bottom