• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mine is a Para P12, and the backup mags are for a P14. They lock in fine, but hang out some, so they don't conceal as well.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    My EDC holds 16+1. If I need more rounds then that to get out of whatever situation I'm in....Plan B! Run!!! I would probably carry an extra mag or two if they weren't so heavy. I know that's a lame excuse, But I'm small framed with no hips and I have a hard enough time carrying any full size firearm.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I would just say my prayers I guess because I only carry a 5 shot revolver with no extra ammo.
    I carried a Ruger SP101 on my ankle for a while and had a speed loader in my right pants pocket. It was a pain and I eventually went to a G27 (9+1) with a spare 13 round mag in my pocket. Even without the spare I had double the firepower, not to mention a nasty caliber increase!:D) without the bother of a spare.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I'm usually carrying and G-17 and G-26 so I leave extra mags in the car. If I'm carrying my 1911, I stick an extra mag in my back pocket. I always have extra 9mm and 45acp rounds in the car in an air tight container.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I'm usually carrying and G-17 and G-26 so I leave extra mags in the car. If I'm carrying my 1911, I stick an extra mag in my back pocket. I always have extra 9mm and 45acp rounds in the car in an air tight container.
    Isn't it a little risky carrying two different kinds of firearms on different days? (There have probably been whole threads on this issue.) But how can you get used to the trigger pull on the Glocks then switch to the much different pull of the 1911? Having to be sure your 1911 is cocked and locked vs the simple rack and pull of the Glocks?

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Isn't it a little risky carrying two different kinds of firearms on different days? (There have probably been whole threads on this issue.) But how can you get used to the trigger pull on the Glocks then switch to the much different pull of the 1911? Having to be sure your 1911 is cocked and locked vs the simple rack and pull of the Glocks?

Glocks and 1911's are more similar than people realize. Both are single action pistols if you get right down to the basics. One is striker fired and the other uses a hammer(which I'm sure you're aware of.) The only real difference I notice is the trigger pull on my Glocks is longer than my 1911. The pull weight feels about the same. Far as the thumb safety on my 1911, I never use it. It's just the way I was trained for months (five months). Both firearms I rack then holster. They're always ready to fire. I never drop the hammer on my 1911 unless I've cleared it and I'm about to clean it. If my 1911 has a mag in it the hammer is back and it's ready to go just like my Glocks.

Another reason I really don't have an issue is because of muscle memory. If you practice often enough, after time you adjust automatically to the weapon in your hand.

Where I do have the problem is shooting my Sig 220. That first long heavy pull always throws my first round to the left. Once the Sig is in S/A, all my shots are right where they need to be. Until I can keep the first D/A shot on target every time, I won't carry my Sig for personal protection.

JoshuaRWhite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    South Bend, Indiana
    Glocks and 1911's are more similar than people realize. Both are single action pistols if you get right down to the basics. One is striker fired and the other uses a hammer(which I'm sure you're aware of.) The only real difference I notice is the trigger pull on my Glocks is longer than my 1911. The pull weight feels about the same. Far as the thumb safety on my 1911, I never use it. It's just the way I was trained for months (five months). Both firearms I rack then holster. They're always ready to fire. I never drop the hammer on my 1911 unless I've cleared it and I'm about to clean it. If my 1911 has a mag in it the hammer is back and it's ready to go just like my Glocks.

Another reason I really don't have an issue is because of muscle memory. If you practice often enough, after time you adjust automatically to the weapon in your hand.

Where I do have the problem is shooting my Sig 220. That first long heavy pull always throws my first round to the left. Once the Sig is in S/A, all my shots are right where they need to be. Until I can keep the first D/A shot on target every time, I won't carry my Sig for personal protection.
    In regards to your Sig issue, like you said, muscle memory. A lot of cops who carry 1911 will disengage the hammer and as they draw they cok the hammer.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In regards to your Sig issue, like you said, muscle memory. A lot of cops who carry 1911 will disengage the hammer and as they draw they cok the hammer.
    A 1911-style SAO was designed to be carried cocked and locked. Carrying hammer-down on a loaded chamber in a 1911 is not something I would personally do nor recommend others to do. I don't understand the thought process which would lead them to this method.

indymeh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    When i carry my XD9 I often carry a spare mag it just depends on my surroundings. As an example when I am out in the country I generally only carry one mag but have a rifle/shotgun within reach

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    A 1911-style SAO was designed to be carried cocked and locked. Carrying hammer-down on a loaded chamber in a 1911 is not something I would personally do nor recommend others to do. I don't understand the thought process which would lead them to this method.

I'm with you on this. I've NEVER heard of carrying a 1911 with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Being able it draw and cock the hammer at the same time is a fine motor skill. Situations where a person is under stress, fine motor skills got to hell in a hand basket. That's one of the reasons we trained to carry with out the use of the thumb safety.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Me too on that. With the thumb safety off all you have is the grip safety. It seems awful easy to have a ND.

Top Bottom