• ...and so much more!
  • critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVB69GD1A_8

This is why I carry a spare mag. Under stress you lose gross motor skills. You will grip your gun as hard as you can. And you can drop your mag especially if you have a button style mag release. This clerk went diving on the floor to find his one mag so he could get in the fight. He lost valuable time. I don't recommend his technique of spray and pray. But that's not the topic of this thread.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I hate carrying stuff around and don't anymore than I have to. Data says that most defensive shooting situations are over with 2 - 3 rounds fired. I don't expect to be in a prolonged fire fight. If I can't do it in 2 or 3 rounds, I'm likely on my way to ER or the morgue. No extra mags here.

Where did you get this data from?

If you believe this "data", then you should do yourself a favor by taking a Defensive Pistol Class.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I always carry a spare on me. Started with my 1911 (low capacity) but I also carry one for my Taurus PT92 (17 ans 18 round mags). You never know when you might have a double feed and it quicker to drop the mag and stick in a new one than try to mess with a mag in your hand when you are claring the jam.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    If it falls in the mud I'd pick it up and cram it home and continue the fight. My custom Rock Island 1911 45 has been tested just like that several times, and it has functioned flawlessly perfect! I have soaked it in mud, with and with-out the mag, only to have it work 100%! And if that fails, I always have a back-up with me. If found dead, you can bet I'll be surrounded by a pile of empty brass.:rockwoot:

BLBlake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Beech Grove, IN
    I usually carry a spare mag when feasible. Of course, when the wife and I are out together she has her gun, as well as a couple of spare clips for both of us in her purse. ;)

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    single stack mags are easier to slip into a pocket.

I always have 9 in the gun, and 10 in the weak side pocket.

sargknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    laporte county
    Must admit when on my property like tonight I hardly ever carry a spare mag figure if something happens only couple hundred feet from house and my ar! When go to town or city always take at least on extra mag or speed loader dependen on what gun carrying and always keep two spare in the vehicle! Still tryen to get wife to carry all time but she can even remember where she puts her keys!

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    On me:
    Primary EDC Pistol, 10+1 in the pipe plus 1 spare 17 round mag
    EDC BUG, 6+1 in the pipe plus 1 spare 6 round mag

In vehicle:
    2 loaded 17 round mags for EDC Pistol in paddle holster

ON/IN EDC Bag
    2 loaded 17 round mags for EDC Pistol in paddle holster
    50 rounds of FMJ for EDC Pistol
    20 rounds of HP for EDC Pistol
    20 rounds of HP for BUG

Total rounds: 199

Zombie Prepared as well..

ZOMBIE's need to stay clear of VIGO county. lol

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I returned from Vietnam in 1968 since then I have not needed to use my gun agianst another human being. I carry a Colt 1911 Defender, 7 rounds and figure that is enough.
    HOw many gun fights have you ever been in, how many do you intend to be in, how many actual gun fights other than where terrorists or police over reaction are involved require more than a couple of rounds.
    I know I'm the desenting opinion here but if you are in a situation where you need more than 7 rounds you shouldn't be there and if you are good with your weapon there should be other weapons lying on the floor waiting for you to pick up.
    MOst of us aren't Rambo and don't want to be.
    I carry for personal protection and don't intend to fight any more wars.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I returned from Vietnam in 1968 since then I have not needed to use my gun agianst another human being. I carry a Colt 1911 Defender, 7 rounds and figure that is enough.
    HOw many gun fights have you ever been in, how many do you intend to be in, how many actual gun fights other than where terrorists or police over reaction are involved require more than a couple of rounds.
    I know I'm the desenting opinion here but if you are in a situation where you need more than 7 rounds you shouldn't be there and if you are good with your weapon there should be other weapons lying on the floor waiting for you to pick up.
    MOst of us aren't Rambo and don't want to be.
    I carry for personal protection and don't intend to fight any more wars.

MOST people won't need a gun to defend themselves, why carry at all? Only Rambo types carry guns, are you looking for a fight?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had my first ever fail-to-feed with my Glock 23 the other day at the range. When I dropped the mag and emptied and reinserted it I found the slide wouldn't lock back. The cause was a weak spring. What if the only mag you have fails to properly feed and you have a stuck round jammed up? That second mag may be your ticket to go home. I always carry a spare and this proved to me why.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    My old flight instructor drove home two points. You can't use the runway behind you or the altitude above you. That being said and the fact I can't run, we are talking 23 +1 in EDC with two 19's in left pocket and an AMT Police Backup in the right pocket.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My old flight instructor drove home two points. You can't use the runway behind you or the altitude above you. That being said and the fact I can't run, we are talking 23 +1 in EDC with two 19's in left pocket and an AMT Police Backup in the right pocket.
    Well crap. There goes my plan to mug you. I'll have to pick an easier target (like somebody who only carries 1 spare mag.);)

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    MOST people won't need a gun to defend themselves, why carry at all? Only Rambo types carry guns, are you looking for a fight?

Not looking for a fight at all, just pointing out that sometimes we let the mind and testosterone get in the way of clear thinking. If you need to carry 2 guns 6 mags and 3 knives never let me slow you down.
    Just stating my opinion.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Not looking for a fight at all, just pointing out that sometimes we let the mind and testosterone get in the way of clear thinking. If you need to carry 2 guns 6 mags and 3 knives never let me slow you down.
    Just stating my opinion.

Hmmmmm . . . . . How does having Low Testosterone figure into this? I've always prided myself with having clear thinking. Might have to do with my life experiences and worldly travel. Is it paranoia if you see the potential of evil everywhere?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Just stating my opinion.

As was I, I was just using sarcasm to make a point. Guess it didn't work.

My point is that to justify not carrying a spare magazine is because most people won't need them I say don't carry a gun at all because most people won't need one. Its poor reasoning IMO.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just stating my opinion.

Why do you equate the choice to be better prepared than you choose to be with "the mind and testosterone" getting "in the way of clear thinking"?

That's an interesting opinion.

Top Bottom