• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Much like the cigarette pack scenario, a dog is not really a good comparison to a gun either. My gun isn't going to uncontrollably pee on their carpet, chew their coffee table, hump somebody's leg, shed hair all over the furniture, bark at every person's movement, crap in the corner, or barf under a bed somewhere.[

I have been guilty of a few of these things on occasion :rockwoot:
    I know. It's why I ditched you at the 1500. :D

tmf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    The only time I tell people that I don't know very well that I'm carrying is if I'm in a vehicle, which they are driving, and the state laws require that LEOS be notified of weapons in the vehicle. Other than that, they're no different than the clerk at the grocery store.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The only time I tell people that I don't know very well that I'm carrying is if I'm in a vehicle, which they are driving, and the state laws require that LEOS be notified of weapons in the vehicle. Other than that, they're no different than the clerk at the grocery store.

That would be true for some states such as Ohio. But Indiana there is no requirement to inform. I wonder how that works if the driver of vehicle honestly does not know there is a firearm in the car.

jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    We were at a family outing today. My wife made a comment about me carrying. This apparently upset my sister, whose son had pointed a toy gun at her and she took it away. She couldn't understand why I had it with family. I explained that it is on me most of the time I'm not at work. She told me not to wear it to her house because she didn't want it around her kids. I respect that, her house, her rules, but I explained that when/where I carry is my choice. I also explained that I would rather my daughter grow up with a healthy respect of firearms instead of being afraid and misinformed. How have you guys handled this with family? Most of my friends carry, or for them it is not an issue.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    We were at a family outing today. My wife made a comment about me carrying. This apparently upset my sister, whose son had pointed a toy gun at her and she took it away. She couldn't understand why I had it with family. I explained that it is on me most of the time I'm not at work. She told me not to wear it to her house because she didn't want it around her kids. I respect that, her house, her rules, but I explained that when/where I carry is my choice. I also explained that I would rather my daughter grow up with a healthy respect of firearms instead of being afraid and misinformed. How have you guys handled this with family? Most of my friends carry, or for them it is not an issue.

I have been carrying about 3 years now, and have had almost all positive experiences with friends and family, and only 1 family member freak out about it.

My mother in law hates that I carry, and kinda tore into me in my own house. I told her that in my house, I would carry as I pleased. She wasn't too happy about it. She lives with her sister and her husband and he is pro carry and said I could carry in his house anytime I wanted to. She did not like that at ALL. :laugh:

When I have discussed it with reasonable family members/friends they have all understood my reasoning for carrying and were very understanding. A friend of mine's wife even said "Jim, if there is anybody I trust carrying a gun, it would be you".

My advice to you is to ask your sister if she trusts you. Then try to explain to her that if she trusts YOU, then she should trust you with a gun. It isn't going to jump out of the holster by itself...

Good luck!

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

don't ask...don't tell. Why is there such an obsession with declaring to the world that you are carrying a handgun?

And I would explain to the wife that some things are best left between husband and wife.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    How have you guys handled this with family? Most of my friends carry, or for them it is not an issue.

I'm sitting at my wife's grandma's house in Illinois no less with my 1911 on my hip and my AR in the bedroom. I OC at all of my families houses. They know I carry and that it is a way of life for me, NOT something I do for just for fun.

In fact Tiffany's uncle, dad, grandma etc all tell me how happy they are that I take such good care of her and always am able to protect her the best way that I can.

812guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Columbus Indiana
    I dont just come out and tell people. If they ask or the subject comes up i will tell them. Most people that know me know I carry.....some dont realize how often. If im not at work I am carrying.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Went to an Open House today (grad). Carried in "don't ask, don't tell" mode which probably doesn't mean much, given that we initially met in the gun store where I work... and talk about 1911s and carrying them all the time.
    Hey, don't hassle me...I'm trying to contribute here.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If I was invited over to someone else's house and they were to raise an issue about my carrying I would politely assure them that I do not touch or fiddle or play show-n-tell with any firearm, especially one that I carry.

I would also tell them that I take the responsibility very seriously and they will never see the firearm leave the security of it's holster unless something really bad were about to go down and if that's the case then they'll be glad that I was carrying.

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    If I was going to somebody's house I hadn't met, you better be certain I'm carrying and not saying a word.

If we've met, they know I carry anyway.

If they say I can't, then guess I won't be going to their house anymore. Don't trust anybody who wouldn't trust me with a gun.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet. ;-)

Desdinova

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2012
    Austin
    Since I don't carry, I'll approach this from the other side of the equation. I am very particular about who comes in my house at all times, so if I don't know you and don't trust you, then whatever business you have with my family can be conducted on the front steps. Those who come in my house are people I know and trust. I have a friend who regularly carries and I generally assume that anytime I see him, he's got something on his person that goes bang. I never ask if he's carrying, and never will, since I trust him and have no reason to concerned about it.

Simply put, if I think I can trust you in my home, around my family, and I let you in, you are more than welcome to responsibly carry a weapon through the door.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I leave it in the car. If at some point I can steer conversation to firearms and the topic can be broached naturally, I will mention that I typically carry, but left it in the car out of respect.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    If I was going to somebody's house I hadn't met, you better be certain I'm carrying and not saying a word.

If we've met, they know I carry anyway.

If they say I can't, then guess I won't be going to their house anymore. Don't trust anybody who wouldn't trust me with a gun.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet. ;-)

Wow. :scratch:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    i had a Walther PPK/s in a boot top holster back in the day, I was stationed at FT. Lewis WA, and visiting in laws in Olympia. Sitting on the couch I moved my leg and they saw the pistol, cool relationship the rest of the evening. Now I CC and try not to expose myself.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How have you guys handled this with family?

My FIL made a statement one time about not wanting me to come to his house with a gun. I told him I respected his decision and I would leave. My wife told him that he knew where we lived and he was welcome to come to our house from that point on. He changed his mind...

Top Bottom