Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Very important points and ideas here, so to the OP "Thank you."

That said, I have seen some basic comments that floor me and compel me through massive emotional response to go off on a rant.:ranton:

Some of the ideas I have seen posted are (and I am paraphrasing), "If they won't let me carry I'll never visit them" or "I don't hang out with folks that don't know me" or "I'll never go into someones home that is antigun."

Folks, the ANTIGUNNERS are the ones YOU SHOULD HANG OUT WITH!!!:xmad::xmad::xmad:

Hanging out with gun owners is great, fun and supportive, but it does NOTHING to advance our cause!

Talking about the evils of gun control on INGO or at the local gunshop or on another gun forum is great, but all it is doing is preaching to the choir! We are the choir! INGO is the choir, and it does zero good in all the elections to come if all we do is live in our own little bubbles and never try to do the ground level footwork and change the minds of people who disagree with us.

It is up to each of us who respects freedom and liberty to not just preach to the choir but rather to gently preach to those who do not appreciate liberty as much. And do not misunderstand me, I believe these people do want liberty, but they do not think about the long term repercussions as much as some of us do.

If someone notices you carrying and asks you to remove it in their home, great, remove it! Then go back in their home (as it is THEIR home) and your work is cut out for you! You now have a lifelong goal of convincing one (1) lone soul to better appreciate and understand firearms ownership. Even IF you never convince them, you may convince their spouse, their children, their parents, their friends all along the way. Your path has been illuminated!

But if you don't want to hang out with them, if you choose never to associate with those damn libtards, then the next time you wonder about why another stoopid gun law was passed, go look in the mirror! You will see that you had that opportunity to reach out and change someones mind but oh no, you had to retreat to your little bubble of comfort.

If you hang out with people who don't like guns that is wonderful. You now have a target rich environment to work in to change their minds.

Hang out with us too! We will help reinforce your position and discuss how frustrating it can be.

This may take years, or even a lifetime. I am certainly not suggesting that one or two visits and "Voila! The sky opens, angelic voices sing, and Saint INGO turns another one from the dark side."

I used to produce and host a Libertarian television program down at the library. Most of the folks there were pretty liberal, although you would be surprised at how conservative some were. All that aside there was a young lady who wasn't really progun. I don't think she was antigun but it wasn't something she thought much of. We talked about shooting on the side from time to time and she worked on a show or two I did discussing firearms ownership. One day after several years she came up to me to tell me the story of how she was visiting with friends and three (3) men came in armed and robbed them all. She mentioned then an interest having a gun for personal protection and was going to look into it. I don't know if she ever did or not but I am very happy that maybe, just maybe, by talking with her over the YEARS I helped guide her to considering a gun as a tool for safety and not just a tool for crime.

I guess what I want to emphasize is to not live in a bubble with people who just agree with you. Try hanging out with folks with whom you have little or nothing in common. Build a bridge. Plant the seed of an idea or concept. This is how the world is changed, one person at a time.

Ok, :ranton: Rant over.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Sometimes come back to the bubble, we will miss you and you need to recharge your batteries!:D

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    To All,

Very important points and ideas here, so to the OP "Thank you."

That said, I have seen some basic comments that floor me and compel me through massive emotional response to go off on a rant.:ranton:

Some of the ideas I have seen posted are (and I am paraphrasing), "If they won't let me carry I'll never visit them" or "I don't hang out with folks that don't know me" or "I'll never go into someones home that is antigun."

Folks, the ANTIGUNNERS are the ones YOU SHOULD HANG OUT WITH!!!:xmad::xmad::xmad:

Hanging out with gun owners is great, fun and supportive, but it does NOTHING to advance our cause!

Talking about the evils of gun control on INGO or at the local gunshop or on another gun forum is great, but all it is doing is preaching to the choir! We are the choir! INGO is the choir, and it does zero good in all the elections to come if all we do is live in our own little bubbles and never try to do the ground level footwork and change the minds of people who disagree with us.

It is up to each of us who respects freedom and liberty to not just preach to the choir but rather to gently preach to those who do not appreciate liberty as much. And do not misunderstand me, I believe these people do want liberty, but they do not think about the long term repercussions as much as some of us do.

If someone notices you carrying and asks you to remove it in their home, great, remove it! Then go back in their home (as it is THEIR home) and your work is cut out for you! You now have a lifelong goal of convincing one (1) lone soul to better appreciate and understand firearms ownership. Even IF you never convince them, you may convince their spouse, their children, their parents, their friends all along the way. Your path has been illuminated!

But if you don't want to hang out with them, if you choose never to associate with those damn libtards, then the next time you wonder about why another stoopid gun law was passed, go look in the mirror! You will see that you had that opportunity to reach out and change someones mind but oh no, you had to retreat to your little bubble of comfort.

If you hang out with people who don't like guns that is wonderful. You now have a target rich environment to work in to change their minds.

Hang out with us too! We will help reinforce your position and discuss how frustrating it can be.

This may take years, or even a lifetime. I am certainly not suggesting that one or two visits and "Voila! The sky opens, angelic voices sing, and Saint INGO turns another one from the dark side."

I used to produce and host a Libertarian television program down at the library. Most of the folks there were pretty liberal, although you would be surprised at how conservative some were. All that aside there was a young lady who wasn't really progun. I don't think she was antigun but it wasn't something she thought much of. We talked about shooting on the side from time to time and she worked on a show or two I did discussing firearms ownership. One day after several years she came up to me to tell me the story of how she was visiting with friends and three (3) men came in armed and robbed them all. She mentioned then an interest having a gun for personal protection and was going to look into it. I don't know if she ever did or not but I am very happy that maybe, just maybe, by talking with her over the YEARS I helped guide her to considering a gun as a tool for safety and not just a tool for crime.

I guess what I want to emphasize is to not live in a bubble with people who just agree with you. Try hanging out with folks with whom you have little or nothing in common. Build a bridge. Plant the seed of an idea or concept. This is how the world is changed, one person at a time.

Ok, :ranton: Rant over.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Sometimes come back to the bubble, we will miss you and you need to recharge your batteries!:D

Most outstanding post of the day. Someone please rep this fine gentleman for me

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm not the kind of guy that goes to someone else's house and argues with them there to try to change their mind about something. In fact, I rarely try to change someone's mind about anything.

My purpose is to educate people and let them make up their own damn mind.

I bet I have reached more people by just doing what I normally do and let them ask questions (or write articles in newspapers) than you even could going 'door to door' like a Jehovah's Witness :laugh:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm not the kind of guy that goes to someone else's house and argues with them there to try to change their mind about something. In fact, I rarely try to change someone's mind about anything.

My purpose is to educate people and let them make up their own damn mind.

I bet I have reached more people by just doing what I normally do and let them ask questions (or write articles in newspapers) than you even could going 'door to door' like a Jehovah's Witness :laugh:

Come on now, you know most of them are to stupid to make up their own damn mind or too lazy to think for themselves.

This door to door idea intrigues me though. Maybe I should give that a try.

Hi, my name is Alan, I am hear to teach you the benefits of firearms ownership.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    giant_video_game_gun.jpg

^Me when i go into someone's home. They tend not to object, for some reason, so I think what I do works.

Top Bottom