• ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Engine or engine and exhaust?
    I'm pretty partial to my car's engine noise. Can't say I've heard it's exhaust as its always chasing me.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I love the sound of a turbo-diesel, especially of the straight 6 variety. Some of the earlier V-8's sounded pretty good, but the latest V-8's from Ford and Chevy sound a bit flatulent to me as a result of the swing vane turbos they use. Any V-8 rumble is washed out by the high frequency blade pass staccato you hear.

All of the new diesel engines are choked by the DPF (diesel particulate filter). They have no sound anymore. Even the pickup trucks are week.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    All of the new diesel engines are choked by the DPF (diesel particulate filter). They have no sound anymore. Even the pickup trucks are week.

Yeah, that doesn't help either on the newest trucks from all of the Big3. Interesting how "quiet" the exhaust systems are on the new trucks. About all you hear now is the turbo spool up, which is a cool sound in and of itself.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    My brothers sweet 16 Donzi power boat with a roller 302.
    My father's two xr 750s..... You should have seen my kids face this spring break when he heard one run for the first time.
    My old dually with a 7.3. Its fun to hear it spool up.. And roll some coal.
    That old gto of mine, looks like I'll give it to my kid next spring when he gets past his learners permit license. That will be a fun day. He has no idea he's getting it. :)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Whatever kind of engine INGO member marcweid has in his truck. I have never heard anything like it.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Great thread idea.
    My most memorable sounding engines.
    Any cammed up V8 with a choppy idle.
    Love the sound of a big V8 and a blower on top whining.
    Late 70's at the Street Machine Nationals in Indy. Cruising around town before heading to the motel. Pulled up next to a beautiful orange 1963 ford Galaxie that sounded wicked. We pulled over and chatted and it had a 427 SOHC (Cammer) in it. Never forget it, sounded like it was coming apart just idling (all kinds of rattling and strange noises) but something about it made the hair on the back of your neck stand up and gave you goose bumps.
    Loved the intake sound of a GTO tri-power as you rolled into the throttle.
    A SB chevy going through the traps at 8000 RPM.
    Love the sound of a LS small block but even as a GM guy I like the sound of the new mustang and trucks better.

Motorcycles:
    My 85 V-max at idle loped like a cammed up SB chevy.
    Love the idle and low speed clutch rattle of a dry clutch Ducati and the exhaust sound of it running through the gears.

Best of both worlds:
    The Bosshoss motorcycle I had(yeah that's where I got my screen name) motorcycle with a cammed up 350 SB Chevy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How could I have forgotten to mention these 2......1966 Cobra, 427 side oiler with side pipes.
    1967 Corvette. 421 tri-power with gutted side pipes. Both cars plated and drove to the track. Saw/heard them at an SCCA meet Raceway Park late 60's. Heaven.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Great thread idea.
    My most memorable sounding engines.
    Any cammed up V8 with a choppy idle.
    Love the sound of a big V8 and a blower on top whining.
    Late 70's at the Street Machine Nationals in Indy. Cruising around town before heading to the motel. Pulled up next to a beautiful orange 1963 ford Galaxie that sounded wicked. We pulled over and chatted and it had a 427 SOHC (Cammer) in it. Never forget it, sounded like it was coming apart just idling (all kinds of rattling and strange noises) but something about it made the hair on the back of your neck stand up and gave you goose bumps.
    Loved the intake sound of a GTO tri-power as you rolled into the throttle.
    A SB chevy going through the traps at 8000 RPM.
    Love the sound of a LS small block but even as a GM guy I like the sound of the new mustang and trucks better.

Motorcycles:
    My 85 V-max at idle loped like a cammed up SB chevy.
    Love the idle and low speed clutch rattle of a dry clutch Ducati and the exhaust sound of it running through the gears.

Best of both worlds:
    The Bosshoss motorcycle I had(yeah that's where I got my screen name) motorcycle with a cammed up 350 SB Chevy.

Big ford Cammers have long chains running the cams. They are very noisy.

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Being a cycle guy, there nothing like a MotoGP bike at full song...something about a 1000cc engine making 250hp ...reving to 18,000 RPM ish....
    Of course on the street i'm partial to an old 12v or 24v cummins pre-common rail injection..with straight 5" exhaust...

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I have to go with a shovelhead or Panhead Harley on points with the timing turned down just a little so you get that slow thump, just like the old John deer's... Nothing better !!!

Top Bottom