• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The one I had completely apart, then put back together.

or

The one I completely own and is running perfectly.

I love all things mechanical, but my practical side wins out every time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rolls-Royce Merlin.

The true sound of freedom.

Not gonna hear that one much in traffic but hell yeah.

I was running in traffic with a new Camaro this morning. Had some kind of Tunner badging on it. The exhaust note was heaven. When I got up next to it I nodded at the pilot. He embraced my approvel with a 1st/2nd/3rd gear red line launch and run.

I need fresh under ware...................:drool:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

I know, right???

Unbeknownst to me at the time, but I rode RIGHT BY this boat on July 3rd. I didn't start looking up old Chris Crafts for sale until after we got off the water that day. There are SEVERAL old wooden run abouts on Geneva Lake. And at least ONE old steam yacht. Very very cool body of water to be on.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Not gonna hear that one much in traffic but hell yeah.

I was running in traffic with a new Camaro this morning. Had some kind of Tunner badging on it. The exhaust note was heaven. When I got up next to it I nodded at the pilot. He embraced my approvel with a 1st/2nd/3rd gear red line launch and run.

I need fresh under ware...................:drool:

There was a Lingenfelter Camaro at the drag strip a few weeks ago. Not much low rumble. Higher pitched exhaust note, kinda like a German car. Just wasnt right. It was fast though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know, right???

Unbeknownst to me at the time, but I rode RIGHT BY this boat on July 3rd. I didn't start looking up old Chris Crafts for sale until after we got off the water that day. There are SEVERAL old wooden run abouts on Geneva Lake. And at least ONE old steam yacht. Very very cool body of water to be on.

I towed an old Chriscraft cabin cruiser back to the marina at Lake Monroe once. The owners let me come aboard and check it out. Not nearly as nice condition-wise as the one in your link, but it had twin Hercules straight 6 engines in it and that old teak wood and brass was just gorgeous.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There was a Lingenfelter Camaro at the drag strip a few weeks ago. Not much low rumble. Higher pitched exhaust note, kinda like a German car. Just wasnt right. It was fast though.

A few years ago, I called them up and told them that I was staying in town on business and was curious if they gave tours. They told me they usually don't - but to go ahead and come up up and they'd show me around.

Holy crap. There was a car on the Dyno getting ready to spin up. Holy crap that sucker was LOUD. At the time, the Dyno was in a small-ish steel building. So not only was the exhaust LOUD but it ECHOED and was trapped in that building. Holy crap.

I was there shortly after Mr. Ligenfelter had passed away.

And, of course now that I'm in Decatur several times a year - I've never been back. LOL

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hmm....so many choices!! True story...I had an Internal Combustion Engines class in College (Mechanical Engineering major) and every class started off with a audio recording of various engines. By the end of the quarter we could identify most of them by their sound and why they sounded the way they did. (Class focused on things like firing orders, valve overlap, tuning exhaust and intake port lengths, turbo and supercharging, etc.)

I love the sound of a turbo-diesel, especially of the straight 6 variety. Some of the earlier V-8's sounded pretty good, but the latest V-8's from Ford and Chevy sound a bit flatulent to me as a result of the swing vane turbos they use. Any V-8 rumble is washed out by the high frequency blade pass staccato you hear out the pipe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4hVHZzDAsY

I love the sound of a small block with a big lopey cam in it that needs revved up every now and then to keep it running right.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVwuxZC83iI

Also really hard to argue with the awesome sound of a RR Merlin engine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdy17GmkpWc

But I like some of the late war double and triple row radials also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKEbOswd4s

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    1973 Ford F250 Camper Special was my brothers truck that I drove way more than I should of.
    It wasn't just the sound of the engine, but also the feel when you were inside. :n00b:

Oh -
    Did I forget to mention the 428 Cobra Jet dealer option? :rolleyes:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Oh man. Good thread idea. Best sounding engine through an exhaust I've ever heard was a 461 olds in a '71 442 had Edlebrock mufflers if I recall. That car under a bridge was heaven! Even better, it was a convertible!

Im a big fan of the way a mopar sounds, uncorked going down the track. Nothing sounds like a Mopar.

Also love a high winding small block Chevy.

For you Ford lovers, I was recently part of a build of a '67 Fairlane GTA. Started as a 390, guy wanted 500 HP... For the street... In a a convertible.... He got a stoked 450 with about 500hp and 600 ft lbs. It had a sexy sound.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The one I had completely apart, then put back together.

Ha, I've never had a car engine all the way torn down, but I've been elbow deep in a couple.

Last summer, I put a water pump on a Chrysler V6 (under the timing chains, had to take those all off and reset a timing chain tensioner). After listening to several stories about what happens with that engine if the tensioner allows it to skip time on the first start-up, I was so happy when she fired up, rough at first, then smoothed out nicely. It wasn't my car, I was doing it for one of my kids, and I really didn't want to have to buy her a new car. The sound of that engine purring beat anything.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    I love the sound of either a 125cc Parilla Leopard, or a pair of Mac 91 engines in concert on a Gokart. At about 16,000 RPMs the leopard sounds like it is about to come unzipped.:wwub:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hmm....so many choices!! True story...I had an Internal Combustion Engines class in College (Mechanical Engineering major) and every class started off with a audio recording of various engines. By the end of the quarter we could identify most of them by their sound and why they sounded the way they did. (Class focused on things like firing orders, valve overlap, tuning exhaust and intake port lengths, turbo and supercharging, etc.)

I love the sound of a turbo-diesel, especially of the straight 6 variety. Some of the earlier V-8's sounded pretty good, but the latest V-8's from Ford and Chevy sound a bit flatulent to me as a result of the swing vane turbos they use. Any V-8 rumble is washed out by the high frequency blade pass staccato you hear out the pipe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4hVHZzDAsY

I love the sound of a small block with a big lopey cam in it that needs revved up every now and then to keep it running right.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVwuxZC83iI

Also really hard to argue with the awesome sound of a RR Merlin engine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdy17GmkpWc

But I like some of the late war double and triple row radials also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKEbOswd4s

I now am considering a cigarette and I do not smoke......:drool:

Top Bottom