• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    After asking the question it seems the consensus seems to be an 870. I also included in my original scenario, what if you lost use of one of your arms, racking a shell into the chamber could be very difficult, therefore, for me, I think my S&W model 29 or M&P 45 would be the best choices. I can shoot a handgun using either hand and can usually hit what I’m aiming at. I have shot a pumpkin from 20’ with a shotgun using birdshot, it really isn’t that impressive. I guess birdshot will take a human target down, but it better be a very well placed shot. I personally think that an 870 with #4’s or 00 buck is probably one of the best defense weapons made, but I think a handgun as a backup, within arms reach makes it the (almost) perfect defense system if the person in control of both of them keeps their whit’s during the situation.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    A .45 or 9mm pistol. The .45 usually has lower muzzle flash in dark areas. 9mm as second choice with 115-124 gr. low-flash ammo; maybe CorBon.

The pistol leaves a hand free for lighting, opening doors, etc... I'd also be wearing some kind of valved earplugs to lessen the indoor blast, while allowing good hearing.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    H&R pump action shotgun with an 18" barrel. The gun was not expensive so I don't worry about having it hung from the side of the bed - a little dust and all. It shoots great and I keep it loaded with just standard buckshot.:yesway:

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Well... just theoritical. If you broke into some ones home and heard a man yelling at his wife to get him his pistol. Or get his shotgun. I wouldnt want to be on either end! I think i would be a lot more scared if i heard shotgun! And in close quarters or a room, against several bad guys the scatter gun would clear em all out real fast.

Just remember...a scattergun does not scatter at 15 feet. Yes, it scatters enough to do a ton of damage, but it does not scatter enough that you don't have to be precise in your aim. My 870 has too long of a barrel to shoulder and aim indoors.

dmworland0709

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    i also have an 870 for home defense b/c the wife also feels comforatable with the shotgun, however mine is an 870 express .410 and i use the pdx1 shells and i really like them!!!

PM66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Crumstown, IN
    A .45 or 9mm pistol. The .45 usually has lower muzzle flash in dark areas. 9mm as second choice with 115-124 gr. low-flash ammo; maybe CorBon.

The pistol leaves a hand free for lighting, opening doors, etc... I'd also be wearing some kind of valved earplugs to lessen the indoor blast, while allowing good hearing.
    But the 870 has a flashlight on it. It's total point, and click interface!

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Attn Jeremy,and mikefrax
    at home defence distance(20' or less)--a shotgun,with 3 1/4-1 1/8-8 will put a hole through a perp.
    I'm 71yo--was in military----to reply to your q------yes

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    You want a firearm that can easily be moved around corners. You also have to think about where that bullets goes after it comes out of your weapon. I don't really see why losing your arm effects what weapon you defend your home with. If you get shot first, the situation moves into a fire fight. call for backup

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I would have thought a 9mm, 40sw or .45 with a high capacity mag would be the best choice. The barrel on a shotgun is too unwieldy in a hallway or around corners and be something for the bad guy to grab.

I would think that most people encountering an intruder would be at somewhat close range, you wouldn't get much of a pattern from a 12 ga at 10-20 feet.

If I have a full mag of 17 rounds, even if I have to make a shot from the hip and miss I can quickly follow up. Plus its always easier to keep nearby.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    first would be my 12g 870 with non-leathal 00 buck followed by my llama 22lr and if i still need more it would be my ar at last resort and god help them if it comes to that because i have 10 30rd mags loaded all the time.

Scotty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Anderson
    My choice is my XDM9 with a 19 round clip loaded by the bed. I have more powerful guns in the safe, but I like the firepower of 19 rounds!

Gibson90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I asked this question from my FFL as well just a couple months back. I decided on a Ruger GP100 and load it with 38 spl versus .357 mag on his advice. I decided to go with a revolver based on the fact they don't jam like a semi-auto. I was also told to stay away from long guns for home defense in case of a close quarters situation.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Stress firing a handgun is not easy. How many videos have we seen where two people empty their clips at 5-10 feet with handguns and both miss. A shotgun doesn't more well around corners. It's a trade off. That's why I chose the .223 carbine.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Coach gun with #4 shot...followed by the Judge....If all else fails Rottweiler....feed it gunpowder and beat it with a shovel nobodys gettin past that thing.

(no animals were harmed in the making of this post, please do not contact authorities, PETA, or any other idiots...its only a joke)

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    First is my 2 4-leg best friends to tell me someones there. If you get pas them next is my Judge followed by the 500 with 18.5" and loaded with 00 buck. If you get me first it's gonna be the wife with the 9MM.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    For home defense I like keep a 12 gauge filled with super socks (bean bags). Why the beans you ask? When a bad guy gets splattered he leaves whats called bio hazard. Yes a man deserves to die when he comes in your castle, but I don't have the money or the constitution to pay for or clean up another persons remains. :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    S&W M&P .40 or .45 or even the ar 15 what ever i get to first in life and death i am not going to skip over a gun. just because i want that one and not the other

Top Bottom