• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    years ago I kept a .45 cocked -n-locked on an empty chamber when the kids were
    small. Maybe too complicated to shoot themselves. now it's a short nose .38 , they're hard
    to wrestle away from you any easy to use even when you're sleepy....

GaryTX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    I'm a fan of the Taurus Judge. The 410 shotgun shells makes it a good "point and shoot" gun. As I am in an "cozy" apartment it's more maneuverable than a actual shotgun and I'm not too worried about over penetration.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    .357 S&W 686 with 6" barrel and crimson trace grips within arms reach.

Side folding Mini-14 with reflex sight and Hornady 55g TAP ammo with 30 round mag within 10 feet.

I used to have an 870 nearby, but it was too bulky and even with No 4, the spread is minimal at indoor ranges. I just decided 30 rounds was better than 5.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Thanks everyone, great answers. I do notice that no one chooses to use a wheel gun, Are wheel gunners a dying breed?

I keep a Colt Cobra .38 snubnose by the bed side. I find it a dependable gun and it's easy for the wife to use.

91/30 with bayonet. you can poke 'em from the other end of the house if need be.

:D Yes you could!

I keep a .12 ga 870 with a 20 inch slug barrel and a 7 round mag tube in the bedroom. It's loaded with 00 buck and i keep a few extra boxes with it. Than the back up is the snubnosed Colt.

And if I make it to the kitchen I have a couple pound slab of bacon in the freezer that I can use to hit the BG with and subdue him! While waiting for the LEO's to arrive I can have the wife start frying some of the bacon up for me, we do live in the country so it might take a few extra min for them to get here.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    S&W Mod 10, 38 spec with Hornady Critical Defense rounds directly behind my head on the headboard. The wife has a S&W 442 38 spec with hollow points on her side.

The Mossberg Sisters-- 410 with Winchester Elites & a 20 gage with X3's is in the closet less than one step from the bed.

Various other "items" are scattered about the house as well. ;)

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    I have an AR-15 w/EoTech and frangible ammo and a S&W 327 8 shoot revolver with 38 spl +P ammo loaded in it. I normally have Hornady ammo in the revolver.

I did some non scientific testing on the AR and some drywall and 2x4s to see just how frangible they were. I'm convinced that they will break up after seeing what the results.

I also have another revolver and a Mossberg 500 for the wife in the bedroom safe.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    the correct reply to the question is-----
    the best "home defence"is a shotgun----with "birdshot",as your distance will be 20' or less,it will cause all threats to cease---and will not injure/kill someone in the next room(dbl O buck)or someone walking down the street(AK47,etc)-

I am a NRA certified firearms intructor.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    the correct reply to the question is-----
    the best "home defence"is a shotgun----with "birdshot",as your distance will be 20' or less,it will cause all threats to cease---and will not injure/kill someone in the next room(dbl O buck)or someone walking down the street(AK47,etc)-

I am a NRA certified firearms intructor.

Sigh...

Birdshot...

Really...

Never shot anyone there have you Mr NRA Certified Firearms Instructor?!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Don't tell me, racking the shotgun scares them off too, huh? DO THEY LET ANYONE BE AN NRA INSTRUCTOR NOWADAYS? I've met more fools after the panic trying to cash in on the wave of scared people that were "instructors" that didn't know their butt from a hole in the ground. Does one just take a test and when the check clears, their in? :xmad:

Having taken several classes, some NRA and others more tacit in nature, I can assure you that is the LAST thing they would teach anyone...

Daniel686

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Well... just theoritical. If you broke into some ones home and heard a man yelling at his wife to get him his pistol. Or get his shotgun. I wouldnt want to be on either end! I think i would be a lot more scared if i heard shotgun! And in close quarters or a room, against several bad guys the scatter gun would clear em all out real fast.

Top Bottom