;)

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    1911 and 9mm ar

I think an 9mm AR is an excellent choice for HD, especially if that AR is, or becomes a SBR. A 10" barrel with a collapsible stock would be the ultimate HD gun, Great for close quarters without the fear of over penetration, a tactical light and laser and you are (arguably) good to go.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    I have an ak 74 currently, but I want a 12 gauge for the home.

+1 on having my AK 74 loaded with 30 rounds but the .40 S&W beside my pillow gives me a warm fuzzy.

I was recently tempted with a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip for HD but how much firepower do we really need ? Okay, dumb question.

The real question is this: Can you wake from a sound sleep and effectively use (or not use on the wrong person) the weapon of choice ?

A weapons light/laser combo attached to whatever you have might also be a good idea or at least have a flash light handy.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Got an XDm .40 within reach, and sometimes an M4. Both have lasers. Interestingly, I've seen documented that an AR penetrates less than a 12ga with buckshot. I don't have a challenging sighting situation, anyway.

Freedom_Bound

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    South Bend
    My opinion of the perfect home defense weapon is a full-size .45 ACP with night sights and a tactical light mounted on the accesory rail coupled with a holster that can quickly be deployed while wearing whatever sleepwear you use. The .45 ACP is less likely to over-penetrate and is an effective combat round. My preference is Speed Gold ammo.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'm a big fan of using 00 buck for HD.

It just devastates stuff at close/HD range, it probably would leave quite a mess to clean up afterwards though.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got a 12ga 870w/ 0000 buck next to the bed but the full frame .45 1911 is what I'll grab first.
    I'm familiar with it and it's "automatic" for me in a dead sleep.
    It's very effective with mucho knock down power, manuverable in tight situations and faster to acquire target with than the 870.
    I don't need sights in my own home with it. I know it that well and regularly practice shooting less than 30' without using the sights. I've thought about a laser sight for dark target acquisition but I'm more than comfortable and familiar with my .45 as it is. Yea, I bet my life on it.
    I'm going to edit something else in here. I have an alarm system but I also have "noise traps" that will give me an extra second or so to ready myself. IF someone comes in they'll have to avoid trip wires and knocking something over coming to me and the family.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    People focus on the tool, rather than the person who uses the tool or the situation under which it will be used. The best gun isn't going to save you unless you have the right mindset and the right plan.

For home defense the best weapon I have is my will to defend myself and my loved ones.

Yep. This is incredibly important. You have to have the will, and the ability to remain calm so your fear won't take over and make you make bad decisions. Both of them need to be cultivated with some sort of combative sport: boxing, wrestling, MMA, etc. Just thinking that you have the will doesn't mean that you actually have it. Do you still have the will once you are hurt? Slashed? Shot? Break a bone? It's a totally different ball game when you are hurt. It's a bad idea to hurt yourself just to develop this will, since you have only one body. But you can undertake strenuous activities where you have to work against adversity.

Also, some people have the will, but they can't stay calm. This is a problem, too. Usually it comes from fear, and you are vigilant enough to think about home defense, a highly unlikely scenario, because you have more fear than others. It's a smart fear, but you have to be able to keep it down when your home actually gets invaded. Again, do something that challenges your body, mind, and spirit.

First you need a plan... [the plan deleted]

Listen to this man. When an emergency happens, you automatically go into your plan, because you don't have time to think. Train the way you fight, so you'll fight the way you train. You need to practice your plan regularly, so you'll actually stick to it. Now, as with all battle plans, your plan will fall apart immediately upon contact with the enemy. (They don't ever seem to remember *your* battle plan.) So be flexible and adaptable.

Note that Detonics' plan involves surveillance first to figure out what's going on. That's really valuable information if you have the time. Don't just grab a gun and go.

With a plan you may be able to beat the invaders even without a gun. Without a plan, it's going to be tough even with a saw-off Saiga-12 and a drum magazine of 00 buckshots.

So which gun should you use? The gun you've planned around.

A katana forged by Gabriel himself for a 12th century warlord..it was quenched in the blood of a virgin which gave it the awesome powers it has.

You mean, a sword made by an angel who failed to go through the rigorous, decade-long Japanese apprenticeship system for swordsmiths, who last was known for hanging out in the desert in the Middle East? A sword that was improperly quenched, and as we know, the quenching process is all important to give the blade its resilience. Hmm, sounds like a sword that'd break upon contact.

Da Bing

Top Bottom