• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Mossberg 500 or a Stoeger 20g coach gun. The 20g would probably be what I grab because I've only got slugs for the 500 right now.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Me personally, I keep a Mossberg "tactical" shotgun loaded with #6 shot bird and #4 shot buck under the bed and a S&W Sigma .40 cal with a modified trigger in the drawer safe ready to go. I do agree with some of the other posters, a shotgun (regardless of the model) with a slug or 00 Buck is going to have as much if not more velocity as a .223 round generally speaking. Unless you live in a mansion, in the average home the perp would be less than 10 yards away. From that range #8 shot bird would do just as much damage as 00 buck. :twocents:

someguy9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    home defense

My wife and I both have LTC and practice regularly. I think its more about just being prepared.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    First you need a plan...

In my home I have taken a few precautions that are relatively inexpensive yet very effective. When the bump in the night wakes me up I need to determine a couple things as quick as possible. Namely did my cats knock over a lamp or are their strangers in my house. First thing I do is hit a button on a remote mounted on my headboard. This one button lights 100 watt bulb in every room of the house except for the bedroom. As soon as I have turned on the lights I am moving to the side of the bed away from the door and securing a shotgun that is loaded and ready. On the night stand on that side of the bed are several items. The first to get used are 2 baby monitors, the volume on these is already turned up as high as they will go...I just hit the power button. Now I listen. The monitors are located in the rooms that contain the front and back doors, any noise or voices result in me using the second item on the night stand, my cell phone...it is time to call 911. One other item on that side of the bed is one of those 2 million candle watt flood lights to be used lighting up the bedroom door.

While I am listening I am also pulling on a pair of sweat pant, t-shirt, and deck shoes. No matter how sexy women found Edward Norton in American History X I am not confronting bad guys in my boxers and combat boots...I want to be dressed. The sweat I wear have an inner duty belt pre-threaded on it so while listening I also add a duty belt with flashlight, holster. cell phone pouch,and reloads already on it. I also check the land line at this time for a dial tone. No dial tone will mean there is a very good chance the phone lines have been cut which means my cats are innocent of the noise. This again will result in a call to 911.

Now if my lights do not come on I will glance out the window. If I see lights at my neighbors and the street light outside my window are on it means my power has probably been cut as well. Again the phone call is made. I also keep light sticks in the nightstand. If the house is dark one will be thrown into the hallway to backlight anyone crossing in front of my bedroom door. I also keep a house key on a ring with a light stick to throw out the window to the police if I do call them. If any of these steps results in my calling the police I will also use the remote to trigger an outside alarm bell. Burglars hate noise and light so hopefully these actions will get them out of my house.

Now if I have turned on the lights, gotten dressed, found the phone and electric are both ok, and i have heard no activity in the house I will probably safe the shotgun (if my ex is spending the night as she often does she has her own shotgun in hand by this time) drawn my house gun, and announce my intentions in a very loud voice. I will put on a set of Wolf Ears (electronic headset) because I don't want to shoot a round of Thunderzap inside without hearing protection and I can actually hear better with the amplified Wolf Ears than I can with my bare ears these days. I will then clear the house. I have a safeword to use with my ex when returning and a action word that means dial 911. With the baby monitors she can easily hear me from anywhere in the house. With luck I will find a cat destroyed vase on the floor of the living room and will go back to bed. If I find signs of an entry the action word is yelled and I quit clearing and retreat to the bedroom and wait for the local PD to respond.

I have a couple rules for family as well.

Rule 1. No one that does not live in my house has a key, period. There have been to many drunk relatives shot by family members when they decided to pull a surprise visit for me to ever allow anyone access to my house at night.

Rule 2. Family members all know to call before visiting after dusk. When my daughter lived at home but was of dating age she would call before coming in.

So as you can see both the handgun and the shotgun figure into my home defense plans.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    i just got a sig 2022 9mm with a tac light for my home defence... Little bit easier to manuver that a shot gun or rifle and easier for my mom to handle if something happens and im not there

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    870 Tactical with slugs cUse I have a kiddo in the house and I don't need any buck shot going somewhere I don't want it too.

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    20 youth with shot shell in chamber, 12 guage with alternating rounds (shot,slug,shot) G17 in hidden compartment for back-up

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    First you need a plan...

In my home I have taken a few precautions that are relatively inexpensive yet very effective. .

Major KUDOS 451 !!! You obviously have given some significant thought to this before actually needing it. I Like the Remote lights and Baby monitor type ideas which have gotten me thinking about other possibilities...
    Also like the 2 MILLION CP Light Blaster idea as well. Almost incapacitating in itself at least for a few moments and giving you a nighttime tactical advantage (loss of night vision) ...

I especially liked your post from the standpoint of giving the BG every possible chance to get the hell out or stop their actions, before forcing you to have to take that SD shot...

Excellent thought... I think I can really use some of these ideas.

Top Bottom