• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I’ve been giving this questions, that was posed to me, some thought, “ What is the best gun to use for home defense?”. I have several choices that I can make for myself, but I’m not sure what I would use, other than the one I get my hands on first. I am a big fan of my Remington 870 with 18” barrel and factory folding stock, equipped with light and laser, but I started thinking what if I lost use of one of my arms, gun is still usable, just very difficult to use. I also gave some thought to my Marlin 1895 Guide gun, the muzzle blast alone is enough to scare most people into submission. A 1911 also is a good choice, but I really prefer wheel guns, my 3” S&W 44 mag would get the job done, but I think I need something that can also be shouldered. Too many choices, give me your thoughts. :dunno:

Do a serarch and find enough threads on this to keep you busy for a few days.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    When I'm in bed, I keep a Glock 37 with XS Big Dot sights and a Streamlight M6 light in the dresser by the bed. In the closet is an 870 with a light and 00 buck. When not in bed or the shower, a .45 on the hip in an IWB with 2 mags in an IWB carrier. I will not be a willing victim.

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I choose a Mossberg 500

I've been contemplating this very subject a lot lately. I have been trying to decide what the best option is for a home defense firearm. Although we have several firearms in the house, I do not have one dedicated to the job of home defense. The time has come...

My criteria:
    1. I travel for work SO, I want a firearm that both my girlfriend (who is a fellow gun enthusiast, many confident hours behind the trigger of various platforms) and I are confident opperating effectively.
    2. I live in a townhouse in a fairly (physically) tight community; I'm talking close neighbors.
    After all my research, and talking with the GF, we decided a shotgun is the best idea. My number one concern is over penetration.

Due to the nature of my work, and the fact I already own one, I am extremely familiar with the Mossberg 500.

I plan on starting the girl behind my 500 field gun for some safety and target training. I want to make sure she and I are both accurate and comfortable behind the weapon. I plan on either purchasing or building a more suitable 500 configured for and dedicated to home defense. I will graduate the girl to this weapon upon purchase/completion, and again commense to the familiariztion process.

So much of what I've read is that the major consideration is not the weapon, it's the person behind it. Keep in mind, even the best home defense weapon will fail in the hands of an incapable operator.
    I will share with you all some good articles I found online. All are worth a read.

http://www.primermagazine.com/2008/learn/hero-training-the-best-weapons-for-home-defense

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/07/23/the-best-guns-for-home-defense/

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/03/30/selecting-a-gun-for-home-defense/

http://www.gunslot.com/blog/best-firearms-and-guns-self-and-home-defense-w-pics

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/firearms/shotguns/home01.html

http://therealnecessities.blogspot.com/2009/04/discussion-on-home-defense-firearms.html

Last edited:

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :yesway: a close by shotgun, and large capacity, large caliber auto if you do get wounded you might not have to reload. but a wheelgun is alright i like wheel guns for backup. good security lights and a hungry guard dog is also nice company.....oh ya i also keep a semiauto rifle handy in case the pirp trys to escape. :ar15:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I have a tactical sks....but and about to buy an 870 for home defense.
    :rolleyes:

:eek: my gawd i hope you dont have neighbors! Im assuming from your post that you must live out in the middle of no where:dunno:
    That 7.62 round pretty nasty after it tumbles thru you and your neighbors wall,

I would be getting that 870 for your home defense reeeeaal soon.

I use

Brinks security
    glass break and door pent
    2 dogs
    1 Saiga 12 that function 120% broken in, 1 10rd mag of 3'00buck ,1 5rd with 3"00buck and slugs
    1 Glock 19 with 16rds of +p+ Winchester law enforcement
    3 evil cats
    cell phone
    LED flash light
    1 aluminum bat
    1 bulgarian type 3 bayonett

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Everyone on here realizes that a 12 Gauge rolling out 00 or Slugs will blow through just as many walls as those dreaded Carbines that you are so terrified of being able to lay waste to entire towns...

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Everyone on here realizes that a 12 Gauge rolling out 00 or Slugs will blow through just as many walls as those dreaded Carbines that you are so terrified of being able to lay waste to entire towns...

really 00 buck goes thru limestone?
    Not all of us live in vinyl wraped houses.

Last edited:

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    really 00 buck goes thru limestone?
    Not all of us live in vinyl wraped houses.
    So if your house is all limestone 5.56 isnt going thru it either. I think the biggest problem is people think shot guns wont go throught their walls and into the next thing outside them the same way a carbine or rifle round will.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Though I have combat shotguns, I prefer a handgun.
    Why?
    Because in a house maneuvering with a 20" barrel shotgun increases the chances of getting into a wrestling match with it.

Plus, with a handgun that I keep right next to me is quicker to grab, and can even be used in the worst case scenario where I'm in bed and and intruder comes into my room.
    This isn't workable for me with a shotgun.

I'm currently using a Glock 27 with Remington 165 grain hollow points.
    I also use a Springfield Armory XD45 Tactical model with 230 grain hollow points too. at times.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Not entirely false. It depends on the load, actually. Most tactical .223 penetrates less than most pistol jacketed hollow points, and less than any FMJ pistol round. You are assuming FMJ .223/5.56 rounds, and they do certainly penetrate more than pistol rounds.

I'm with the AR, myself. Another reason is that I'm more likely to actually hit the BG, in which case the bullet will likely break up and stay in him.

Here's another article about this:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_151_25/ai_70380696/?tag=content;col1

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I keep my Mossberg 500 with a gameshot nearby. I trust it, and its something simple the Mrs. can handle.

-Mcolford

Last edited:
    Top Bottom