• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I’ve been giving this questions, that was posed to me, some thought, “ What is the best gun to use for home defense?”. I have several choices that I can make for myself, but I’m not sure what I would use, other than the one I get my hands on first. I am a big fan of my Remington 870 with 18” barrel and factory folding stock, equipped with light and laser, but I started thinking what if I lost use of one of my arms, gun is still usable, just very difficult to use. I also gave some thought to my Marlin 1895 Guide gun, the muzzle blast alone is enough to scare most people into submission. A 1911 also is a good choice, but I really prefer wheel guns, my 3” S&W 44 mag would get the job done, but I think I need something that can also be shouldered. Too many choices, give me your thoughts. :dunno:

If I had my choice of ANYTHING.......I would select a Predator Drone. ;)

But since I don't.......tactical 12 gauge loaded with double ought buck shot....with as many rounds as possible.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Since my Dog is a Wal-Mart Greeter personality type Dog, I am training him to be the Delaying Force that lulls one into a since of confidence. Then my Wife's GSD tears then apart in a Silent Assault that would please any Ranger out there....

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Since my Dog is a Wal-Mart Greeter personality type Dog, I am training him to be the Delaying Force that lulls one into a since of confidence. Then my Wife's GSD tears then apart in a Silent Assault that would please any Ranger out there....

I had a dog that was a greeter too, would show you you around the house, show you where we kept all of the good stuff, but don't try to leave, that's when his evil personality came out.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I had a dog that was a greeter too, would show you you around the house, show you where we kept all of the good stuff, but don't try to leave, that's when his evil personality came out.

Mine is the breed that thinks persons are for three things...
    Feeding him...
    Cuddling him...
    Playing with him...

Now the other 2 dogs are German Shepherds, and are definately not Greeters... ;)

Jim Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I suggest a plan, practicing that plan, and a firearm you are well practiced with and willing to use without hesitation.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I’ve been giving this questions, that was posed to me, some thought, “ What is the best gun to use for home defense?”. I have several choices that I can make for myself, but I’m not sure what I would use, other than the one I get my hands on first. I am a big fan of my Remington 870 with 18” barrel and factory folding stock, equipped with light and laser, but I started thinking what if I lost use of one of my arms, gun is still usable, just very difficult to use. I also gave some thought to my Marlin 1895 Guide gun, the muzzle blast alone is enough to scare most people into submission. A 1911 also is a good choice, but I really prefer wheel guns, my 3” S&W 44 mag would get the job done, but I think I need something that can also be shouldered. Too many choices, give me your thoughts. :dunno:

Very close! I keep a Remington 11-87 police model 18-inch barrel with 7 rounds of 00 buck ready to go and an extra shell on the dresser. The 45 is on the nightstand, which I will use to get to the shotgun.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Very close! I keep a Remington 11-70 police model 18-inch barrel with 7 rounds of 00 buck ready to go and an extra shell on the dresser. The 45 is on the nightstand, which I will use to get to the shotgun.
    I am not Familiar with the Remington 11-70...

Could you post pics of it for me, or describe it please...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    No problem...

I do that all the time too... ;)

Here's a picture of it (the 18-inch version with wilson combat sights) not a great picture, but gives the general idea. I changed out the Remington fore end with a surefire fore end. I feel a little uneasy about using the light, but its there if the situation warrants it.

Remington Law Enforcement - Shotguns - Model 11-87

Top Bottom