• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    For the first time, I recently purchased a gun online. When choosing an FFL, I picked one that was a preferred FFL on Budsgunshop website, close to me and had a lower ($20) fee. Here are a few things I learned.

1) If your FFL answers the phone with just a "Hello?" (as opposed to "Hello, X company"..or at least the typical "Gun Shop.." method of answering the phone), this should be a red flag.
    2) If your FFL isn't there to receive the delivery of your firearm (at 2 in the afternoon), this should be a red flag.
    3) If your FFL contacts UPS to hold the delivery they missed, but then doesn't pick it up the next day, this should be a red flag.

Unfortunately, I feel like I should have researched a little bit more. What things should be considered when deciding which FFL to use?

For me, the lesson learned is to make sure the FFL has regular business hours, THAT THEY ACTUALLY STICK TO. I've heard of FFLs receiving guns and then taking a long time to contact the customer for pickup, but what about FFL's who don't even receive the transfer?

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This issue is with the person holding the FFL.
    There are ashats in every walk of society.
    The big question is, how do you determine before hand?

Welcome to the real world...

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I tend to deal with shops that have been in business 10 to 50 years that have set business hours. You tend to pay alittle more but that's normally because they understand how to run a business. I dont do business with shops that tell me just order it online and use my CC and pay the transfer fee. That tells me he cant afford to order the gun for me and why would a store pass up makeing 20-30% on a purchase. And will he be in business when i have a problem ?
    They have to not only pay fulltime / partime employees they have to pay themselfs to run there own households. They are not in business to supplement their own gun hobbie or BS with their friends when they actually are open.
    JMHO

boostjunki

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 7, 2015
    Elkhart County
    Good table top FFLs aren't too hard to find, you can probably find a better one close to you if you ask around. What is hard to find is a good table top class III dealer.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm no fan of gun stores and really can't stand going to them. I've had all my purchases lately go through a big box farm store that has a gun counter and will let you ship online gun purchases to them. None of the gun store BS and they're always open when they say they are. They'll also order a firearm for you and will price match anyone.

mondomojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    India-no-place
    I'm no fan of gun stores and really can't stand going to them. I've had all my purchases lately go through a big box farm store that has a gun counter and will let you ship online gun purchases to them. None of the gun store BS and they're always open when they say they are. They'll also order a firearm for you and will price match anyone.

Can you elaborate on "big box farm store"? You talkin about tractor supply or rural king?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'd heard about how great USDS was from reading the forum and found out they're less than 10 minutes from me. Went down and looked around and talked to the guys to see how they were to deal with and found out they were good people running a nice shop. Ordered my first gun online and had it shipped there with no issues at all. If I had to look for another new FFL for some reason, I'd do the same thing, either visit the shop to verify they'll take care of me, or at least call and talk to someone to verify hours and things like that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ask INGO for opinions.

I use a FFL that doesn't have set hours and I travel further to get to him than I would have to for some others. I'm not sure if I ever talked to him on the phone. PMs here and text messages are the usual forms of communication.

It is all about expectations I guess. Matt gives great service. He may not be available every day, but that isn't important to me.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    4) The dealer says to you "Why didn't you let us get that gun for you?" or "We have that same gun right here" or the gun is already unpackaged, thrown back in the box with its protetive wrap all wadded up in the bottom of the box. The gun dealer does not remember you checking on having them get the gun and they would be $100 more, they did not have the gun in stock when you ordered yours and they did not know if they could get one and you never realized how carelessly they handle guns ESPECIALLY when they are NOT theirs.... All ways to totally not get another transfer from me.

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Beach Grove Firearms is a good FFL I have used. They communicate well and are decently cheap at $15 or $20 I think. I look for communication and amount of traffic they do as an FFL. If they are not used very often there has to be a reason...

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne

Out of rogue curiosity what is it that you dont like about gun shops?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    4) The dealer says to you "Why didn't you let us get that gun for you?" or "We have that same gun right here" or the gun is already unpackaged, thrown back in the box with its protetive wrap all wadded up in the bottom of the box. The gun dealer does not remember you checking on having them get the gun and they would be $100 more, they did not have the gun in stock when you ordered yours and they did not know if they could get one and you never realized how carelessly they handle guns ESPECIALLY when they are NOT theirs.... All ways to totally not get another transfer from me.

I had an FFL ask me that when he processed an online order for me. I responded with the price I paid and that ended the questioning. If a local store can provide the best price then I'll buy from them. I'm not in a position to run a charity for the local gun shops. They at least get my money for taking on the legal burden of the transfer and for providing the service.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I look for the cheapest place with the least hassle. Typically that's a small business that I'm familiar with and have dealt with before.

When I've done transfers I've dealt with my local mom and pop shops who are generally more than happy to pocket $20 cash for doing nothing more than opening a box, making an entry in a book and a phone call. With internet tracking it's pretty easy to see when the package arrives and I usually don't even wait for them to call me. I just show up. "Hey, I ordered a gun from _____ and it's here. Ready to do the transfer?"

The problem you've highlighted is common for folks who don't purchase often and/or deal with a store they're unfamiliar with. I'm a firm believer that all of us should have "a guy" who does our transfers and handles things like this for us. We should also have an alternate or two in case he's on vacation or can't handle it. The simple fix to this is buy more guns!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I just go to 9 Guns in Anderson. It's not the closest shop to me, but Wes is good people. I knew him for a few years before he started that shop. Fair prices, and if he doesn't have what you want, his transfer fee is cheap.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Pretty darn fair responses. You can buy a gun just about anywhere now and tons of places offer free shipping.

Not sure why a shop would get butt hurt if you can find it cheaper than they offer it for. The shop can still make 20 bucks which last time i checked is better than making nothing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom