• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Out of rogue curiosity what is it that you dont like about gun shops?

Basically years of being told by 80% of gun store staff that they are ex-Navy SEALS, snipers, or have some other unrealistic military background that is obviously not true. Being flat out lied to about this gun or that one to try to get a sale or overhearing a bunch of BS being told to a different customer to try to get them to buy the gun they have in stock over the one they don't. I could go on (ever been in Kempf's Gun shop? What an *******), but you get the picture. It's no different than most other businesses, but over the years I've gotten to the point that going to a gun store to buy a gun is a necessary evil over something that is enjoyable.

There are exceptions, of course, and I don't think every store is that way. I just decided to avoid it if possible.

Big R is good, there is no gun store BS. The two guys that run the counter are very friendly and don't mind doing a transfer at all. Plus they'll price match and have an uncanny ability to have exactly what I want in stock despite not having a huge selection (which has cost me a small fortune this year :laugh: ). There's nothing like going to the store for hose clamps and chicken feed and coming home with another gun.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    1) If your FFL answers the phone with just a "Hello?" (as opposed to "Hello, X company"..or at least the typical "Gun Shop.." method of answering the phone), this should be a red flag.
    2) If your FFL isn't there to receive the delivery of your firearm (at 2 in the afternoon), this should be a red flag.
    3) If your FFL contacts UPS to hold the delivery they missed, but then doesn't pick it up the next day, this should be a red flag.

For me, the lesson learned is to make sure the FFL has regular business hours, THAT THEY ACTUALLY STICK TO.

I'm one of these FFL's you wouldn't like then. We're a small at home FFL trying to grow our business to the point of having a store front. Not everyone has the money to go out and start an FFL in a store right away. So yeah, if someone calls us, we don't answer with our business name. Because we're using our personal cell phones to keep costs down. Between the 2 of us, we work 90 hours a week away from the FFL. Typically not home at 2 in the afternoon unless it's our day off (from those jobs) and we don't have something to do for our kids/family or training for the instruction aspect of our business. Guess that's all kinds of red flags going up huh? Too bad we're passionate about what we do and want to make this a success so we can be the FFL you want to do business with. I'm sorry you apparently had a bad experience with an FFL. But we're not them and I don't think it's fair to judge the rest of us by their mistakes. Kinda like when there's a shooting and everyone wants to pound on every gun owner being a crazy nut ready to snap.....just saying.

I had an FFL ask me that when he processed an online order for me. I responded with the price I paid and that ended the questioning. If a local store can provide the best price then I'll buy from them. I'm not in a position to run a charity for the local gun shops. They at least get my money for taking on the legal burden of the transfer and for providing the service.

From personal experience seeing how much the distributor's charge for guns, I can beat the big box stores on their gun prices. But I can't beat an online gun shop like Bud's by much if at all. Guns are low margin at best. I'll gladly take the transfer fee for someone if I can't give them a better price on a gun though. I'm not that proud, $25 for a transfer on a gun purchased elsewhere is $25 more then I had yesterday.

embmtxatl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2015
    Hendricks County
    I'm no fan of gun stores and really can't stand going to them. I've had all my purchases lately go through a big box farm store that has a gun counter and will let you ship online gun purchases to them. None of the gun store BS and they're always open when they say they are. They'll also order a firearm for you and will price match anyone.

Is this a Rural King? Also do they charge the standard $25.00?

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I'm one of these FFL's you wouldn't like then. We're a small at home FFL trying to grow our business to the point of having a store front. Not everyone has the money to go out and start an FFL in a store right away. So yeah, if someone calls us, we don't answer with our business name. Because we're using our personal cell phones to keep costs down. Between the 2 of us, we work 90 hours a week away from the FFL. Typically not home at 2 in the afternoon unless it's our day off (from those jobs) and we don't have something to do for our kids/family or training for the instruction aspect of our business. Guess that's all kinds of red flags going up huh? Too bad we're passionate about what we do and want to make this a success so we can be the FFL you want to do business with. I'm sorry you apparently had a bad experience with an FFL. But we're not them and I don't think it's fair to judge the rest of us by their mistakes. Kinda like when there's a shooting and everyone wants to pound on every gun owner being a crazy nut ready to snap.....just saying.

From personal experience seeing how much the distributor's charge for guns, I can beat the big box stores on their gun prices. But I can't beat an online gun shop like Bud's by much if at all. Guns are low margin at best. I'll gladly take the transfer fee for someone if I can't give them a better price on a gun though. I'm not that proud, $25 for a transfer on a gun purchased elsewhere is $25 more then I had yesterday.

Do you make it clear when people contact you that receiving their gun and getting it to them ASAP is not your priority?

As an FFL, the only thing I'm paying you for is to receive my purchase and make sure I'm not a criminal. Unless you tell me that the one thing I'm paying you to do will be done in your spare time, I am expecting someone that can help me with the quickness.

This was my first time using an ffl. Live and learn.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Basically years of being told by 80% of gun store staff that they are ex-Navy SEALS, snipers, or have some other unrealistic military background that is obviously not true. Being flat out lied to about this gun or that one to try to get a sale or overhearing a bunch of BS being told to a different customer to try to get them to buy the gun they have in stock over the one they don't. I could go on (ever been in Kempf's Gun shop? What an *******), but you get the picture. It's no different than most other businesses, but over the years I've gotten to the point that going to a gun store to buy a gun is a necessary evil over something that is enjoyable.

There are exceptions, of course, and I don't think every store is that way. I just decided to avoid it if possible.

Big R is good, there is no gun store BS. The two guys that run the counter are very friendly and don't mind doing a transfer at all. Plus they'll price match and have an uncanny ability to have exactly what I want in stock despite not having a huge selection (which has cost me a small fortune this year :laugh: ). There's nothing like going to the store for hose clamps and chicken feed and coming home with another gun.

Thats not gun shops, thats the gun community. I bet at least 50% of the people I talk to at gun shows are in the spec ops comunity with another 10% having a background so classified they shouldnt even have told me anything.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Thats not gun shops, thats the gun community. I bet at least 50% of the people I talk to at gun shows are in the spec ops comunity with another 10% having a background so classified they shouldnt even have told me anything.
    I messed up by having my unsanitized picture on the interwebz. I should've been using those little black boxes over my eyes.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

:rofl:

I've seen the operators at gun shows. By the way they wear their multicam pajama pants and realtree t-shirts, I'd say most of them are telling the truth.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Do you make it clear when people contact you that receiving their gun and getting it to them ASAP is not your priority?

As an FFL, the only thing I'm paying you for is to receive my purchase and make sure I'm not a criminal. Unless you tell me that the one thing I'm paying you to do will be done in your spare time, I am expecting someone that can help me with the quickness.

This was my first time using an ffl. Live and learn.

I would never hide the fact that we're a small at home FFL from my customers. That doesn't mean that receiving their gun and doing the transfer isn't a priority. I don't know many people who could drop everything and run to the gun store at 2pm on a given day for a transfer unless it's their day off. We have set evening hours and are forbidden by zoning requirements from having walk in business of any type. If you don't want to use an at home FFL, don't. But don't demonize all of us. Some of us will bend over backwards for our customers.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You must have had some bad luck with ffl's. I really enjoy gun shops. Usually the staff is professional and helpful. I've been to just about every shop from Prepper 4 (used to be 21st Century) in Bluffton south to Fields in Rushville, and quite a few west out to Bradis. I even made the Haj down to Bud's in Lexington (impressive). I can only think of one major exception, and unfortunately, it's the shop closest to my house. There is the occasional employee who looks like you've somehow inconvenienced him, but that's rare. Now the clientele, that's a different story. But I've seen more of those types in the box stores.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I would never hide the fact that we're a small at home FFL from my customers. That doesn't mean that receiving their gun and doing the transfer isn't a priority. I don't know many people who could drop everything and run to the gun store at 2pm on a given day for a transfer unless it's their day off. We have set evening hours and are forbidden by zoning requirements from having walk in business of any type. If you don't want to use an at home FFL, don't. But don't demonize all of us. Some of us will bend over backwards for our customers.

I know nothing about running a gun shop, but I do know you are married to the hours you give the ATF as your business hours. From what I understand, trying to transfer a firearm outside of those hours sends up red flags to the Dep't of Making You Sad.
    Sometimes, as the customer, it pays to see the human on the opposite side of the transaction as not just an ffl, and realize there is more to it than just providing a shipping address to the transferer and running a 4473.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Can someone recommend me an FFL in the elkhart area?
    There is that Rupel's Train Store in Dunlap, but I think he wants $35 a transfer. I use ZX Guns in Goshen. He charged me $20 on the last gun I got. Not sure how Midwest up in Elkhart feels about transfers.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Thats not gun shops, thats the gun community. I bet at least 50% of the people I talk to at gun shows are in the spec ops community with another 10% having a background so classified they shouldnt even have told me anything.

I know. That's why I don't go to public ranges or gun shows anymore either. Now that I think about it, I don't really leave my house anymore unless I absolutely have to.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Out of rogue curiosity what is it that you dont like about gun shops?

I have loved every gun shop I have ever went into since I was a young man tagging along with my dad...I sit behind the counter of mine 5 days a week and spend at least one off day a week visiting other gun shops....I love them...Always have, always will...

I never realized there was so many people that hated gun shops (and gun shop owners) until I joined INGO...When I first joined INGO a guy had asked "What kind of guns do you all like?"...I posted that I liked older guns and surplus guns.....He posted back "Of course that's what someone who makes their living selling used guns is going to say..."

My accountant and my wife happened to be here when I got that reply and they both nearly had a stroke laughing over the "make a living" line.....If you own a gun shop you do it for the love of the firearms and the people that accumulate them.......

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Basically years of being told by 80% of gun store staff that they are ex-Navy SEALS, snipers, or have some other unrealistic military background that is obviously not true.

I let all my customers know I am a Colonel....If they doubt it I show them my Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonel's membership card and my framed commission signed by Governor Paul (aka "The Love Gov") Patton...If they press for more of my background I may show them a couple of merit badges I got from Boy Scouts back in the 70's.....That is the extent of my service......

I never served but never fail to thank those that did (or say they did..) I also never disparage 80 % of businesses by calling them or their staff liars on the internet...Probably that Jesus schtick about "Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you"....But that is, however, a cultural thing and may not be shared by others....

I have never experienced what you are talking about in any gun shop in Southern Indiana/Kentucky in my life time (51 years this Monday) and I have been in many...Perhaps this is more common where you are from????

Last edited:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I know nothing about running a gun shop, but I do know you are married to the hours you give the ATF as your business hours. From what I understand, trying to transfer a firearm outside of those hours sends up red flags to the Dep't of Making You Sad.
    Sometimes, as the customer, it pays to see the human on the opposite side of the transaction as not just an ffl, and realize there is more to it than just providing a shipping address to the transferer and running a 4473.

Actually the ATF agent that did our on site visit said it wasn't a problem to change our hours. That they wanted to see hours because that went along with supporting the notion that you were getting an FFL to conduct business, not just to get guns cheaper.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    .If you own a gun shop you do it for the love of the firearms and the people that accumulate them.......

Truth right there. I had told my husband guns are low margin from back when I was at a big box FFL. He didn't believe me until he saw what our distributors charge. You don't do it to retire rich. You do it to retire happy.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Actually the ATF agent that did our on site visit said it wasn't a problem to change our hours. That they wanted to see hours because that went along with supporting the notion that you were getting an FFL to conduct business, not just to get guns cheaper.

I guess what I meant was, not that the particular hours matter, but that you are not conducting gun sales within your advertised hours. This is how one FFL explained it to me. Is that correct or no?

Top Bottom