What is the most exotic thing you have ever eaten?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Turkey oysters are much better... But it takes a lot more for a meal.

rocky_mountain_oysters.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    A bit more on the lion burgers:

From MSNBC:
    PHOENIX - An Arizona restaurant owner dreamed up a novelty meal to give customers a South African experience during the World Cup. But serving burgers made with African lion meat has generated protests.

Cameron Selogie says his Il Vinaio restaurant in Mesa has received a bomb threat and more than 150 e-mails from protesters. He says African lions are on the protected list, but not endangered.

The restaurant ordered 10 pounds of African lion meat from a USDA-regulated, free-range farm in Illinois, which Selogie says he researched to make sure they were humane. It's mixed with ground beef, and the restaurant says it's serving about 15 burgers a day.

article-1289233-0A2D544D000005DC-856_233x423.jpg

Now that looks tasty, and I'm not... lion! :joke:

And a longer and more investigative piece from the UK Daily Mail:
    WORLD CUP 2010: Arizona restaurant celebrates by serving LION burgers | Mail Online

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Hog nuts, and chicken hearts are popular around here with a few restaurants offering them as specials during the week. To quote Chris Rock, "ill eat a pig's a$$, if you cook it right" pretty much sums up how I will eat.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I've had lion and bear steaks, rattlesnake chili, lots of different kinds of sushi. A couple of things I haven't seen mentioned:

deer heart sandwich-thin strips of deer heart deep fried

soft shell crab sandwich-a whole soft shell crab deep fried, looks like a big old spider!

I have never eaten this, but it deserves mention on a list of exotic foods:

The Ortolan Bunting, a bird about the size of your thumb, was on his menu. The bird is prepared by drowning it alive in Armagnac, cooked and then served whole, eaten bones and all. Now, aside from being considered more than slightly cruel, even by the standards of French cuisine, serving Ortolan is also highly illegal, because the bird is endangered.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I've always been a person who would try anything when it comes to food. I'm not sure if it is because I am brave or because I am fat. You decide!

I don't know if I have had anything not already mentioned:

Durian

durian.13202353_std.jpg

Lengua

lengua.jpg

Spiced and unspiced mealworms

MiniMealworms4.jpg

Sea Urchin

red-sea-urchin.jpg

Pigs' feet

pigsfeet.jpg

I've tried gator, elk, ostrich, shark, dolphin... and a few others. I'll try just about any food once.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I've always been a person who would try anything when it comes to food. I'm not sure if it is because I am brave or because I am fat. You decide!

I don't know if I have had anything not already mentioned:

Durian

durian.13202353_std.jpg

Lengua

lengua.jpg

Spiced and unspiced mealworms

MiniMealworms4.jpg

Sea Urchin

red-sea-urchin.jpg

Pigs' feet

pigsfeet.jpg

I've tried gator, elk, ostrich, shark, dolphin... and a few others. I'll try just about any food once.

Durian is great - I don't know where to buy it here in Indy aside from frozen at the Asian food market.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Not that they are very exciting to some but:

Went to Scotland for Honeymoon and tried Haggis on the first day. Loved the stuff! Ate it every chance I got before we left, lol...

Evansville's West Side Nut Club Fall Festival. Got the Courage to try a "Brain Burger." Holy hell those things are phenomenal! Ate a couple each year before I moved after college!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Cows do not have testicles. Bulls, OTOH... ;)

You can steer a car but you can't steer a cow.

My philosophy is that if I am hungry enough, anything that does not run away fast enough could be food. I have to be pretty hungry for some things though.

Potted meat food product on blueberry bagels is tops among the list. I don't know if that qualifies as exotic, but it was unusual. I'm not sure that potted meat food product actually qualifies as food.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm not sure that potted meat food product actually qualifies as food.

Or meat! But it's definitely potted. ;)

I was fascinated to find out that potted meat has its own Wikipedia page, which among other things, lists the ingredients of some of the major brands.
    Potted meat food product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* Armour Star: Mechanically separated chicken, beef tripe, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, beef hearts, water, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, salt, and less than 2 percent: mustard, natural flavorings, dried garlic, dextrose, sodium erythorbate, and sodium nitrite.

* Hormel: Beef tripe, mechanically separated chicken, beef hearts, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, meat broth, vinegar, salt, flavoring, sugar, and sodium nitrite.

* Libby's: Mechanically separated chicken, pork skin, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, vinegar, less than 2% of: salt, spices, sugar, flavorings, sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite.

Top Bottom