What is the end goal of neutering this countries police forces?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    "lots of instances" meaning what? Of all the police/public interactions daily, what percentage do you think meet you criteria above? 50% 10% 2% ? I'm betting that fairly small amount is correct. Since the predominance of camera phones and social media, those incidents get sensationalized to further a groups agenda. I agree the number of these incidents SHOULD be zero... but we don't need to wax dramatic for the sake of argument.

Nothing "dramatic" at all. The link points up the facts of the matter. There are many, daily, instances of bad actors in various areas of misconduct and outright criminality. Doesn't mean all of them are guilty, but it's far from uncommon.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    Nothing "dramatic" at all. The link points up the facts of the matter. There are many, daily, instances of bad actors in various areas of misconduct and outright criminality. Doesn't mean all of them are guilty, but it's far from uncommon.

Read what you quoted. I did not say "you" were dramatic, and I asked for a percentage... not the unquantifiable "lots" or "many." No need to get defensive, merely questioning specifics.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Read what you quoted. I did not say "you" were dramatic, and I asked for a percentage... not the unquantifiable "lots" or "many." No need to get defensive, merely questioning specifics.

There are no figures kept by the relevant agencies, (just like they don't keep figures for officer involved shootings, as they should). It's not the kind of info they want out there. Thankfully, we have folks like CATO that are keeping track of published instances to give us a better look at the issue.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    But tracking publicized instances only gives you a view of the "squeaky wheel" and not the true "big picture." Wouldn't you agree?

A group may only be 12% of our Great Nation... yet I may constantly "see the injustice" they face on my tv. Is that indicative of the size of the issue, or dramatic license by the media?

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    But tracking publicized instances only gives you a view of the "squeaky wheel" and not the true "big picture." Wouldn't you agree?

A group may only be 12% of our Great Nation... yet I may constantly "see the injustice" they face on my tv. Is that indicative of the size of the issue, or dramatic license by the media?

Actually the opposite. Only considering publicized instances of misconduct dramatically reduces the numbers you are considering.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Actually the opposite. Only considering publicized instances of misconduct dramatically reduces the numbers you are considering.
    It is an issue of public opinion where the numerator is the reported misbehavior and the denominator all reported instances of police in the news. When an event happens and the CNN machine gets rolling, they tend to pile on. It'd be interesting to see a surveys of public opinion about the police before and after an incident like this is published. Id'd bet your salary that the opinions would disproportionately condemn police after one story.
    I too must resist saying what I really want to say. However, I will say this.............
    Well said.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    It is an issue of public opinion where the numerator is the reported misbehavior and the denominator all reported instances of police in the news. When an event happens and the CNN machine gets rolling, they tend to pile on. It'd be interesting to see a surveys of public opinion about the police before and after an incident like this is published. Id'd bet your salary that the opinions would disproportionately condemn police after one story.

That is a lucid, well thought out, perfectly literated statement... and it made my head hurt. I agree wholeheartedly!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Well said.

I was under the impression we were discussing MrJ referencing Cato tracking published stories as a replacement for agencies actually keeping records and stats on them????

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Actually, no. I wouldn't necessarily agree. If the agencies across the nation were required to report on malfeasance, brutality and criminality, etc to someone like the FBI, we'd have a much clearer view of the problems. Since they aren't required to report to anyone we have to rely on folks like CATO and other non-MSM sources to do the heavy lifting for us. Even with a source like CATO's we aren't seeing the whole picture, just a slice of the reported incidents. There are lots of incidents that are going unreported, (sometime not coming out for months or years after they happen, if ever). While there are lots of cops out there doing good work, there are also lots out there that aren't doing so great a job. This has been the case for many decades. We're just now getting to a point where we're seeing more and more reported, as we embrace the digital age. The MSM usually only reports on the most egregious incidents or sometimes one of local interest. Lots fall by the wayside.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    Actually, no. I wouldn't necessarily agree. If the agencies across the nation were required to report on malfeasance, brutality and criminality, etc to someone like the FBI, we'd have a much clearer view of the problems. Since they aren't required to report to anyone we have to rely on folks like CATO and other non-MSM sources to do the heavy lifting for us. Even with a source like CATO's we aren't seeing the whole picture, just a slice of the reported incidents. There are lots of incidents that are going unreported, (sometime not coming out for months or years after they happen, if ever). While there are lots of cops out there doing good work, there are also lots out there that aren't doing so great a job. This has been the case for many decades. We're just now getting to a point where we're seeing more and more reported, as we embrace the digital age. The MSM usually only reports on the most egregious incidents or sometimes one of local interest. Lots fall by the wayside.

Read the posts in here by LEO's about people standing around taking videos at most stops. I find it hard to believe that the CATO Institute (as much as I may like them) has their finger on the pulse of police brutality. I think that if these incidents were as rampant as they are purported to be, we would see home video. Suffice to say, the victim mentality is just that. We have bred that attitude of "injustice to me" selfishness in today's society, and the skewed outcry is a result of it.

I believe the vast majority of police interactions with the public are not in the "bad" category.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    One horrific beheading of someone by ISIS and we hate them. Is it a stretch to see LEO's wailing on people getting some of the same feedback?

Hint: Stop and it is no longer news.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I've got a suggestion for you: Why don't you ask to do a "ride-along" with a major police department some Friday or Saturday night on the late shift? Say, since you live in Southern Indiana, the Louisville PD. I've heard they have a fairly good reputation. You correspond like you have no real-world knowledge of what police officers in big cities do - and don't do - on a regular basis. Perhaps you wouldn't be so quick to talk past police officers and their experiences if you had some actual experience to go by which might provide context for an opinion one way or another.

You've no knowledge regarding my experience with law enforcement. Nor do I have a overall negative opinion of law enforcement in general. That would be an uncomfortable situation at holiday events since I have members of law enforcement on city (fairly large metro police... Pensacola Florida) and Federal agencies. I also have two friends that are/were (one left to pursue other opportunities) local law enforcement in southern Indiana. Not to mention half a dozen prison guards and one warden in the family...

I have never made any statements regarding law enforcement as a whole, all this went to hell due to the ridiculous assertion we should hold bad cops accountable for their actions. Crazy liberal ideas....

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've got a suggestion for you: Why don't you ask to do a "ride-along" with a major police department some Friday or Saturday night on the late shift? Say, since you live in Southern Indiana, the Louisville PD. I've heard they have a fairly good reputation. You correspond like you have no real-world knowledge of what police officers in big cities do - and don't do - on a regular basis. Perhaps you wouldn't be so quick to talk past police officers and their experiences if you had some actual experience to go by which might provide context for an opinion one way or another.

Except when it comes to taking missing person reports.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    :dunno:

Inside joke?

A Carmel kid going to college down there, was reported to LPD as a missing person. They refused to take the report because the kid's permanent address was "out of jurisdiction." They ****** around a few days until the media got ahold of it. Kid was murdered in Louisville, dumped in a landfill, body never recovered.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A Carmel kid going to college down there, was reported to LPD as a missing person. They refused to take the report because the kid's permanent address was "out of jurisdiction." They ****** around a few days until the media got ahold of it. Kid was murdered in Louisville, dumped in a landfill, body never recovered.

If it's the case I'm thinking of, they did eventually find the Murderer. That was just a strange case all around. And that's about all I have to say about that.

Top Bottom