• Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I want one.

Bad.

I can't really explain why, though. It's certainly not for its cutting-edge technology.:rolleyes: That's not the appeal of a gun like this.

I really just want a great .357 revolver for range use, and of course the GP100, SP101, and 686 would all do perfectly well for that.

I really like the whole loading gate/cylinder-stays-in-gun thing.

Then there's the fact that the Blackhawk might the strongest .357 made. Ever.

I like that the loading gate obviates the need to half-cock like a SAA would require. Brilliantly simple and effective.

Am I wrong to want a Blackhawk? Is there something else I should be considering in a similar vein?

h

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The Blackhawk is a beautiful handgun and a joy to shoot. In my opinion, it's one of those fires arms that are just classic. It's ultra simple, absolutely reliable, and just what it's designed to do perfectly.

I don't own one but would love to. My preference, however would be .44 Magnum but the.357 is sweet also.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would love to own a Blackhawk! I just think they are a well made, great looking firearm. It is a gun that you can have forever and it will never go out of style.

Great at the range, great on the range, hunting, heck you could even do CASS with it if you found the right clothing to wear!:)

A guy had a .41 Mag Blackhawk at the range one day and offered to let me shoot it. It was real nice....

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Best bargain I ever got on a gun was a super Blackhawk 44 mag for $100! I had to run down the street to the bank to grab some cash, and I was literally shaking because I was scared I wouldn't get back with the cash in time.

Great shooting revolver, one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever fired.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I am in the same boat. Hand loading has got me looking at guns i would never think of. The blackhawk is next on my list to buy.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I am in the same boat. Hand loading has got me looking at guns i would never think of. The blackhawk is next on my list to buy.

That's a big part of it for me. The ability to have 100% reclaim of your brass seems VERY appealing. My G22 sprays all over the place, and at most ranges your brass becomes theirs once fired.

If I take up reloading (and I'd like to), a .357 or .44 makes a LOT of sense as an entrance to the hobby.

I'm open to a .44mag also, but I figure that a .357 in a gun like a Blackhawk is actually pretty mild, since the guns are rather heavy and stout.

It's petty, but one of the reasons I'm looking more at a Blackhawk vice Super Blackhawk is that the latter forces you to get the square trigger guard if you go over 5.5" bbl length. In .357, I can get a 6.5"bbl and keep the round trigger guard.

Then again, 5.5" bbl is almost certainly a great length for .44.....

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Blackhawks are great guns. If you are specifically looking at a .357, check out the flat top anniversary model. It's a slightly smaller frame, similar in size to the original old model .357's. closer to a Colt SAA size. Still super tough and a littl easier to pack. I have a flat top .45 convertible and it's a great gun. I installed a Bisley hammer on it and I love it. I also have a full size NMBH .45 and you can load it pretty stout!

The .357's in the full size are very beefy guns. You are taking a gun designed to shoot the .44 and cutting the chambers and barrel for the .357, so theres a lot of extra metal in there!

I've owned quite a few Blackhawks over the years in .30 carbine, .357, .41, .44, and .45. They are great guns!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Here's my flat top .45 after I installed the Bisley hammer.

f3ffa0a9.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have 3. The convertable 9- 38s/357 one stainless one blued. and a blued 44s. I am going to get the 45c someday soon. They are fun and accurite! You will love it!

Last edited:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    A .357 Blackhawk with a 6 1/2 barrel, with 500 rounds, and holster rig was my graduation present from my dad when I graduated high school. When I graduated college he bought me an 1894c to go with it.

Two guns I will pass on to my son when the time comes.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    its the gun your grand kids will pass down to there grand kids, that's how my grandfathers is it has lot of hunting stories to go with it, its a older black hawk in .44 mag with a 8 inch barrel. its a damn laser with specials, i love shooting it when he let me.:twocents:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have a Blackhawk 357 in blue, but the King of the Mountain is this Super Blackhawk SS 44 magnum. Beautiful and a great shooter.

12622.jpg

DROOL!! This is *exactly* what I had in mind. As great as the wood grips feel and look, I think I'd probably want to have a monogrip as an option for a more functional grip.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Dont feel bad about wanting one. They are beautiful and I about threw up recently when I saw an old dude at a gun show selling one to a dealer for super cheap. I would have given him more if I had know that is what he had tcked up under his arm. I own an older model vaquero with a John Wayne holster rig. It is so sweet and everyone that shoots it I have to ask for it back. I sent it to Bob Munden for one of his fine action jobs. He did a grea job with it and it is such a pleasure to shoot. I know reload hard cast fo it. Still want to find a place to hunt and to take a deer with it. You will not be sorry with any Ruger single action you buy. I like the older models but the newer ones are great too. I would also like to get an old speed six and security six for the colection. I have also coon fingered all the super Blackhawk hunters I have come across. Ahh all it takes is money! Have fun!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There is a major problem with the Ruger Blackhawk. Once you get one you will have to have SEVERAL!!!! They are great guns, well made, dependable and very nice lines for a modern version of a single action revolver IMHO

Top Bottom