• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I guess it's regular ammo, that i made. 300 gr Cast Performance gas check, about 17.5gr 2400, WLP(primers). My previous best was 5 shots inside of 5 inches(around 4.5ish), with a different load. It was a busy day shooting and I didn't even notice this group until I got home and started thinking about it! I went back out and took the picture after the target had been rained on. I've got some other loads that should do as well or even better than this. I'm excited to try them out.

Shooting cheap, bevel base "keith" loads(Keith SWC DON'T have a bevel base!) i managed around 6-7" six shot groups, which i wasn't thrilled with. Bevel base SWCs are available from most bullet makers and I haven't found a load for them yet that shoots accurately! There are some good plain base bullets, but so far for me, I've found it's easier to get good accuracy with gas checks. They seem to simplify things a little. For plinking, the cheap stuff is fine, but for 100 yards, I just havn't found the right combo yet!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    So....somebody school me on the .30 carbine. I have the opportunity to snag one, but I'm not familiar with the round. What are the pros and cons? How hard is it to find ammo?

edit: The one I'm considering has a 4.5" barrel, but I'm not seeing a .30 carbine with that barrel length on Ruger.com. I'm trying to get some pics, I've seen the gun, but can't remember much about it other than it was in great shape in the gray plastic box Ruger now ships handguns in.

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So....somebody school me on the .30 carbine. I have the opportunity to snag one, but I'm not familiar with the round. What are the pros and cons? How hard is it to find ammo?

edit: The one I'm considering has a 4.5" barrel, but I'm not seeing a .30 carbine with that barrel length on Ruger.com. I'm trying to get some pics, I've seen the gun, but can't remember much about it other than it was in great shape in the gray plastic box Ruger now ships handguns in.

It's a neat round, It would seem that Ruger offered the 30 carbine Blackhawks as a combination mostly used in M1 carbines of course. the 30 carbine Blackhawk might not be as versatile as some of the magnum or other calibers but still has a nich. I have never seen a 4.5" barrel 30 carbine. It was probably offered for a couple of years.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It's a neat round, It would seem that Ruger offered the 30 carbine Blackhawks as a combination mostly used in M1 carbines of course. the 30 carbine Blackhawk might not be as versatile as some of the magnum or other calibers but still has a nich. I have never seen a 4.5" barrel 30 carbine. It was probably offered for a couple of years.
    Yeah, I noticed Ruger doesn't have that configuration on their site, I'm guessing it was a limited run.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    The convertible 357/9 mm ruger Blackhawk is my main handgun for in the field and you cant get any better than the ability to shoot 3 different ammunition types in one gun

Top Bottom