churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK people. Read and beware.
    This will be the very last in thread I waste my time giving. Seriously.
    Baiting/name calling etc will be dealt with.
    If you like it here, if you enjoy the forum, give this a rest please as your time here will be over.

Test me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just quoting this for posterity, in case you try and go back to change it.

I wouldn't change my post.

Folks refuse to admit what is going on, in society and on forums.

Do understand how Church has to keep a lid on things.

Not a PC person and call it like I see it. Never been worried about a ban.
    If it happens it happens.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wouldn't change my post.

Folks refuse to admit what is going on, in society and on forums.

Do understand how Church has to keep a lid on things.

Not a PC person and call it like I see it. Never been worried about a ban.
    If it happens it happens.

No one want anybody banned. It's just a request to tone it down a tad.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Baiting aside, all we know, is that police were looking to serve a warrant on a guy in an apartment complex. They see a guy who has a gun, who upon seeing the police, he gets back into his car. From there, we don't know what happened. But call me crazy, but if seems like a pro-2nd Amendment people would want to know why this guy suddenly became of interest to them, considering he was not the person being looked for. Is it odd if seeing a group of officers serving a warrant, and you being armed, to want to steer clear?

From the link above:

"Officers saw Scott get out of the car with a gun and then get back in, Trietley said. When officers approached, the man exited the car with the gun again. At that point, officers deemed the man a threat and at least one fired a weapon, he said."

You left out that he got back out of his car.

Some questions I would want answers to:

Where was his gun? Was it in his hands, or in a holster? Why did he get back out of the car armed when there are several police officers there? Did they order him out? If so, did he have his hands out where they could see he's not holding his gun? Depending on the answers to those questions, I may or may not see it as a 2A issue.

Like with all these cases, I'd like to wait until all the facts are in before I stake ground on one side or the other.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    From the link above:
    "Officers saw Scott get out of the car with a gun and then get back in, Trietley said. When officers approached, the man exited the car with the gun again. At that point, officers deemed the man a threat and at least one fired a weapon, he said."

You left out that he got back out of his car.

Some questions I would want answers to:

Where was his gun? Was it in his hands, or in a holster? Why did he get back out of the car armed when there are several police officers there? Did they order him out? If so, did he have his hands out where they could see he's not holding his gun? Depending on the answers to those questions, I may or may not see it as a 2A issue.

Like with all these cases, I'd like to wait until all the facts are in before I stake ground on one side or the other.

I don't have issue with any of the above. But like I implied earlier, just being armed isn't justification in and of itself.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't have issue with any of the above. But like I implied earlier, just being armed isn't justification in and of itself.

No. But there are some contextual issues that suggest it isn't just being armed. Answers to the questions I asked above would help make the context very clear. Also, just from what has been reported, we can see some things he should have done to make his intentions clear, that he wasn't a threat. I think being armed would tend to naturally elevate the potential for threat in the minds of officers.

As an armed citizen, I have some responsibility to communicate that I'm not a threat when interacting with police. Obeying commands, and not acting like I'm a threat goes a long way towards me not being an accident.

With the Tulsa shooting, facts may show that guy may have been shot unjustly, but I think it's highly likely that he'd be breathing, healthy, maybe in jail, maybe not, if he had just obeyed commands and didn't act like a threat. And, helicopters + several cops don't show up just for a stalled vehicle. There was something else going on.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No. But there are some contextual issues that suggest it isn't just being armed. Answers to the questions I asked above would help make the context very clear. Also, just from what has been reported, we can see some things he should have done to make his intentions clear, that he wasn't a threat. I think being armed would tend to naturally elevate the potential for threat in the minds of officers.

As an armed citizen, I have some responsibility to communicate that I'm not a threat when interacting with police. Obeying commands, and not acting like I'm a threat goes a long way towards me not being an accident.

With the Tulsa shooting, facts may show that guy may have been shot unjustly, but I think it's highly likely that he'd be breathing, healthy, maybe in jail, maybe not, if he had just obeyed commands and didn't act like a threat. And, helicopters + several cops don't show up just for a stalled vehicle. There was something else going on.

Try and help me understand then. Guy has a gun in his apartment parking lot, when officers arrive to serve a warrant on another person. The notice a guy with a gun. Guy gets in car, then gets back out with, which better be, a gun in hand. He decides "**** it, today is a good day to die," and intentionally poses a threat to officers. There's something missing here, because that's just too outlandish to believe. I would be nice if there's vid of this encounter, which I doubt, to confirm the presence of a weapon after he exited the car the second time, and the threat he posed.

With the Tulsa shooting, you're right, it's highly likely he'd be alive if he was compliant. But that borders very closely to victim blaming. We are not allowed to shoot people, and say "well, he was non-compliant," and everything is ok. Any officer that has worked any reasonable amount of time, will have seen countless issues of non-compliance, and more than likely been in damn near the same situation that unfolded in Tulsa, minus the dead guy at the end.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Interesting coming from a court. Thoughts?

Mass. High Court Says Black Men May Have Legitimate Reason To Flee Police | WBUR News

Black men who try to avoid an encounter with Boston police by fleeing may have a legitimate reason to do so — and should not be deemed suspicious — according to a ruling by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.

Citing Boston police data and a 2014 report by the ACLU of Massachusetts that found blacks were disproportionately stopped by the city's police, the state’s highest court on Tuesday threw out the gun conviction of Jimmy Warren.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You nailed it. But of course stating things explicitly lets the Mouse dig for goodies and not have to watch threads.

I really have stayed out of these threads for a while and let you guys have at it. I have made some comments on the subjects at hand.
    When an outsider (not posting in the thread) reports something then yes, we go look.

The extensive number of in thread warnings have wasted a lot of time. I like to bump around in here just like everyone else.

Enjoy

:)

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

when i posted this it wasn't because a armed man which he was the bias was between nbc and fox.........nbc said nothing about a black officer shoot black man and fox reported the story correctly......

that was the bias.....

this is what is wrong with BLM....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom