What is a reasonable time to begin shooting on your land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Can't see the range from his house, or from my house, or from any other houses within a 1 mile radius. Nearest visible house is every bit of 1.5 miles away. The range is located on low land, nearest homes are his and mine and one other, all 3 of those are located up on top of the ridge line about 40' above the range area, and several hundred feet through the woods.

The range flag would have to be on top of a VERY TALL pole.

Throw a rock through his window with a small flag attached.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think 10am would be a good time to shoot for. But it depends on what my schedule for that day is. If I have stuff going on that day, then I'm going to mow my yard as early as I can. Even if its at 8:30, assuming the yard isn't too damp anyway.
    I think the neighbor was being an ass anyway.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Shoot a 22LR at 10am and you're already well past the time of best groups. 9am is too late except in early spring or late fall.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    in that case, **** him. buy a .50.
    Cowboy:yesway: But, to answer with advice, It is your property? Outside of city limits? Good backstops? Safe shooting? Maybe explain all of this and if your neighbor still won't budge....explain to he/she that is one of the perks of country living. You don't squall when he mows, so why should he/she when you shoot? Probably be a good idea to include the significant other in the conversation as well. You need good neighbors..for sure, but you have to be able to somewhat tolerate each other also. Just my :twocents:

Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I've been shooting at 8am. It's been too damn hot to wait until 11-12:00.

Exactly.. I know there are exceptions, but if the people are not working a late shift, I would kind of expect most people to be up by 9. Around here it seems like if you want to get anything done it needs to be done by 7-10am or your gonna sweat your butt off!

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I have a coyote problem on my property so I shoot whenever regardless of the time. I can't help when they are out there...:D

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    9 doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Having said that, I usually wait 'til 10 unless I'm hunting. I think its the continuous shooting people react to, not the occasional shot from hunting. I kinda wish there was a rule so I'd know and they'd know.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I get up at 03:45 five days a week for work. I like to sleep in on my days off...but generally I am up by 07:00. I wouldn't have a problem with 09:00.

In all honesty I don't think there will be any 'fair' time to being shooting, at least not for him. I think he simply does not like it.
    Is this the same neighbor who had an issue with you shooting into your backstop? If it was you...I think you're right. You're not going to make him happy.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Is this the same neighbor who had an issue with you shooting into your backstop? If it was you...I think you're right. You're not going to make him happy.

Yup, same guy.

But I have a new backstop. And I have marks at measured distances up the hill to show where my property is as the hillside goes up (I was NOT hitting his property before I built the backstop)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Yup, same guy.

But I have a new backstop. And I have marks at measured distances up the hill to show where my property is as the hillside goes up (I was NOT hitting his property before I built the backstop)
    It's obvious then you're fighting a losing battle with him. No matter what you do he's going to have a complaint about some aspect of it. I'd try to be neighborly none the less...for what little good it will probably do. Let us know what his next complaint is.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No matter what you do he's going to have a complaint about some aspect of it. I'd try to be neighborly none the less...

Yup, I realize he is going to be whining and I've warned my family. I always try to be neighborly. I won't start shooting before 10 as a way of showing that I am willing to compromise. If he calls the sheriff that is OK with me, I'm within the law and the county codes are on my side. He can ***** all he wants.

It is very likely there will be a new fence built soon too. That will actually **** him off because of the way the woods and fields run at odd angles, his view out the rear of his house includes a portion of my property that I cannot even see so it visually makes his yard look bigger than it is. Run a fence through there and all of a sudden that cuts into his view, but my wife and I both feel that his crossing into my yard and 'inspecting' my shooting area was a bit over the top and unreasonable. He could have called me and asked to talk to me. He, instead, snuck onto my property and then yelled at my wife. He essentially has declared war and while that is NOT what I want, I will cover my butt and control my land.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    He, instead, snuck onto my property and then yelled at my wife.
    First...I'd find out what your local noise ordnance says. I think you'll be surprised about how early you could legally start shooting.

I'd mark the property with "No Trespassing" signs. The next time he yelled at my wife he'd be dusting off his back.

Screw being neighborly.

Top Bottom